Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Hard to install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard to install?

I am thinking about buying a 3.73 gear for my automatic trans am. Are they hard to install and are they worth it? Will motive 3.73 gears work fine nin my trans am? Also do i need an install kit as well? And what will these do for my car performance wise?

Last edited by clg82; 07-09-2007 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Need some help here guys............
Old 07-10-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to say...but the slow responses are probably because people are hesitant to answer about gear jobs like that...

First, I know the search isnt working right, but there is good info around this forum about gear swaps. There is also a sticky right at the top of this section for your question about what the gears will do for you performance wise.

Second... Yes you need an install kit. You are going to need to use all new bearings on the pinion and the carrier. You will also need to "set-up" your new gear set. You cant just use the same shims and have it come out perfect. Well...you could...but its a long shot. I HIGHLY suggest doing a google search for how to set up an axle...because its not something that I would consider to be easy. The work itself isnt difficult, but you really need to understand the concept of backlash and pinion depth and what the patterns mean and how adding/subtracting shims will affect all of those measurements.

Im by no means trying to sway you from getting into it...but it sounds like you really need to do some more homework before diving into this. It would also help you a lot if you had a spare rear to take apart and familiarize yourself with, before you tear into yours.

I had a good link on re-gearing...I may have posted it on this site. With the search being screwy, Im not sure if I can find it, but if I can, Ill post it up for you. It was a good read and will make even a newb at re-gearing feel semi-comfortable.

Justin
Old 07-10-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Found it... Scroll down through this post and there are a couple links that will give you a good feel for the work involved in re-gearing. As I state in my posts, the info is mostly found on Jeep and off-roading websites. We (off-roading community) re-gear often. And when we do it, its two axles at once, not just one. Thats why there is more information over on those sites. But the principles and work still apply. Each axle type will be slightly different, but like I said, the principles are all the same.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/644098-there-howto-setup-gears.html

Justin
Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, there are a few jobs that are worth paying someone else to do. This is one of them in my opinion. If you have to ask if it's worth it and how difficult the job is, you're probably better off having someone else do it. You can do it in an afternoon with some somewhat common tools ie. dial caliper, BF prybar, propane torch. You'll need to be able to check pinion depth, backlash etc.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...something I forgot to mention... If you arent willing to step up to a learning curve, as well as buy the correct tools, you are just wasting your time. You NEED to have a few tools that the majority of DIYers dont have laying around.

If you are only going to re-gear one axle one time...its probably worth it to just have someone do it. Since I regear quite often and quite a few different rears, it was worth it to learn. If I was only chaning my TA's gears once and didnt plan to again, I would pay someone to do it.

J.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

great info ghettocruiser. i too am looking to get this done and your input has been very helpful!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clg82
Need some help here guys............
At the very top of this forum it says Rear End FAQ. x 10