Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New MOSER axle bearing, 20 miles, busted AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New MOSER axle bearing, 20 miles, busted AGAIN!

This is absolutely ridiculous. Moser sent me two new axle bearings for free, sweet. I get them pressed on at a shop. I watched them do it. They pressed it right up to the flush mount portion where the bearing will rest. Never did they go past this point. Well, here's what happened, AGAIN! This is the white/gray lithium grease in the caged ball bearing design bearing leaking out and mixing with gear lube hence the green tint. It's pretty viscous stuff.

These axles were installed with the Ford 9" seals and RTV around the backing plate where it mounts to the housing. I have done EVERYTHING Moser has said and it still leaks. They have no idea what is causing this. They're sending me a new bearing to replace this one but it's just insane. I drove this for no more than 25 miles and it did this, again. I drive this to school and back, no slicks, drag radials, just plain ole' radial street tires.

They told me if this new one doesn't work that I'll have to send them the axles but it's not the axles b/c these bearings have busted on EACH side, passenger and driver axle.

This has been the biggest WASTE of time I have ever had. I must have spent 30 hours messing with this crap.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Brand new axle bearing, 20 miles, busted AGAIN!

dude. That sucks!

Are you able to tell where the grease is making it's way out of the axle tubes at? around the axle where the bearing was pressed on at, or around the outside of the bearing between it and the axle housing.

Got any pictures from the other side of the backing plate?
Old 06-06-2003, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, I really can't tell but I can push in on the center o-ring facing the backing plate (where the ball bearings reside) and it'd depress inward. This could let grease out since that rubber portion has play in it.

It's definately NOT coming from the outside portions of the bearings. It's coming through the middle. There is NO signs of seepage behind the backing plate where it bolts to the housing, none whatsoever.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

And can someone tell me WHY Moser keeps giving me the wrong bearings each time I call? I have to tell them every time which bearing it is AFTER I have described the entire rearend. They keep telling me I don't have C-Clip elimantor axles b/c I don't have that aluminum housing that presses into the axle housing then the axles slide in over that. My axles DO NOT have c-clip grooves machined into them, none.

Also, if anyone tries to get a Moser with those press-in aluminum housings, DO NOT get them if you plan to drive it ANYWHERE but the track b/c, "They leak, period." - Quoted from a Moser Tech.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's wild. Did the machine shop only press on the press-ring when the bearings were getting pressed on?

After you've had the bearings pressed on, and you go to put the axles in and bolt them in. Mine was a TIGHT fit, do you pound the axles in all the way with a hammer/sledge, or do you get the bearings kind of started in just enough to get the nuts started on the t-bolts and then suck the backing plate up to the housing end?

I think moser wants you to send in the axles so they can press bearings onto it. Try and rule-out improper bearing installation. That'd be my guess at least.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, ONLY used the press ring. I watched him do it. Same as last time. He did both sides, new bearing each side, same pressing method, same stopping point. It's not the machine shop. My axles slid in with no problem, no hitting needed, just slid it in and tightened down the backing plates like Moser instructed me to do.
If you tried to press that bearing on w/out the ring you break that bearing off as you pressed it on. I can guarantee you wouldn't be able to press it all the way onto the axle with out busting it into two pieces.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you measure the OD of the axle and the ID of the bearing? Almost sounds like its a bit on the tight side causing bearing failure
Old 06-06-2003, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, mic'd the axles and all and gave them that info. Totally retarded, this is.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

does everyone else's axles just slide right on in? Mine were pretty damn tight in my 9" setup (same setup as the 12-bolts).

I would think that if the bearings were not tightly seated in the housing end, it could the bearing itself to wobble around in the housing while the axles are spinng, and possibly cause premature failure??
Old 06-06-2003, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Checked again, 1.565" OD on the axle and 1.562" ID on the bearing leaving 0.003 for the interference fit.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

These bearings are right up to the lip where they're to be pressed to. Let me snap a pic...
Old 06-06-2003, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's blurry, damn camera, but here you go:
Old 06-06-2003, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm actually referring to the outer diameter of the bearing, and the inner diameter of the housing end. If it was a loose fit, it could induce an oblong rotation, possibly causing failure. I'm not 100% sure on this, but it'd be something to check.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

OD Bearing - 3.150"
ID of housing = 3.151"

Old 06-06-2003, 10:10 PM
9 Second Club

Default Re: New MOSER axle bearing, 20 miles, busted AGAIN!

Just surfing watching the basketball game...

...anyways, ball bearing bearing sets won't take boo for a sideload compared with a tapered bearing set. I'm not sure if this is your issue. Good luck in rectifying it. Take care.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:31 PM
kp
8 Second Club

not that it may make any difference but I thought moser stated in their instructions that the o-ring goes towards the outside. The bearing looked like it was offset in one direction more then the other. I pressed it all together in a hurry so I didnt really pay much attention but you might want to check on that. Threw my instructions out so I cant look what it said, I could be wrong..

Old 06-07-2003, 03:10 AM
Teching In

When I took the axles out the first time the O rings where facing towards the axle tube on both sides and thats how they went back on. Moser did not send instructions with the new bearings, So they were installed the same way as the old bearings. I think that Moser got a bad bunch of Green bearings but what do I know?
Old 06-07-2003, 08:16 AM
kp
8 Second Club

When I took the axles out the first time the O rings where facing towards the axle tube on both sides and thats how they went back on. Moser did not send instructions with the new bearings, So they were installed the same way as the old bearings. I think that Moser got a bad bunch of Green bearings but what do I know?
I would call moser and see to be sure, if I remember the inner race had a bevel that went towards the axle side to clear the radius on the axle. I may be wrong, I have pressed on so many axle bearings over the last 25 years I just dont remember - I do remember the instructions being very specific on which way they should be, just dont remember which way Something really has to wrong for those to leak like that after 20 miles, its possible its bad bearings but the inner seal should stop most of it.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm just gonna get c-clip axles. Moser said they'd work. No more leaking issues.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Bring them to me and Ill install them for free Levi. I just want this car fixed and I don't mind working on it, after all the crap you have been threw.

Quick Reply: New MOSER axle bearing, 20 miles, busted AGAIN!