Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

powertrax???anyone using it???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default powertrax???anyone using it???

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

just wondering if anyone's running this in their 9 inch. i don't know if this is new or not. it says its 35 splines and is a limited slip locker. thats badass if you can have 35 splines and not feel like your on a rollercoatser like a locker.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Powertrax is a full time locker that will bang and clunk around corners. It is similar to a Detroit in the way it works but not as strong. Don' waste your money.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

Neighbor just put one in his jeep (its not a 9" but I can kinda give you an idea). It clunks worse than my Detroit Locker. Allthough he has not really broke it in yet, He Just got it in the other day. I believe it is Auburns version of Eatons Detroit Locker.

We took it for a test drive and in makes my Detroit Locker seem like a tru trac. LOL

Funny thing is the advertisement said how "Quiet" they are. Guess we'll see after the 50 mile "Break in" period.

Only good thing about them is they are cheaper than a Detroit Locker.

Funny to see his face, I bet it was a lot like mine when I first got my locker in, PRICELESS. I had to assure him thats how lockers act.

I would say, just pony up the extra $50 or so dollars and just buy the proven and stronger Detroit locker.

I must add my Detroit was pretty noisy as well the first 50 miles and then It Quieted down, His jeep had no doors on and Just might have seemed louder because of that?

Last edited by Jays00ss; 12-13-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jays00ss
His jeep had no doors on and Just might have seemed louder because of that?
take your doors off and go for a test drive haha.

all lockers should make noise. but if it makes more noise then a girl on her rag, id take it out asap.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:04 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

i have a detroit true-trac and it drives great. ive heard powertrax was weak, why i shy away from it.
it has no clutches to wear out. ive never heard it make a noise around any corner.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:32 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TJ
i have a detroit true-trac and it drives great. ive heard powertrax was weak, why i shy away from it.
it has no clutches to wear out. ive never heard it make a noise around any corner.
We sell more rears with the Truetrac than we do with any other unit, they hold up good through 600 rwhp, and some have gone higher with them. The Truetrac is as quiet as the stocker. Bob
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

There is no Truetrac in a 35 spline axle. Detroit Locker, ARB, or Full Spool are your options.

Jeff
Old 06-25-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, I'm going to be installing a ford 8.8 IRS in my 6 speed F-body and it will come with an open diff and 3.27 gears.

I was thinking a Powertrax would be the cheapest solution as far as getting the power to both wheels. I don't drag race, but do like to handle the corners.

I can get it for about $300. My other option is to pick up a new complete center section with 3.73 gears and a Traction-Loc diff. already assembled for $650. The Powertrax may be too aggressive and the other diff too weak as far as preload pressure.

Are there any other choices I'm overlooking or are those 2 units good for what I want?