Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I really could use some help please.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Location: The Republic of Texas, just south of the United States...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really could use some help please.....

I would love some input on finding out what is causing this......

I have an S60 on a lowered car, QA1 shocks, BMR, etc...

The problem is that there is a scraping noise; a metallic rotating scraping noise that seems to be coming from the left rear wheel area and occurs only when another person is in the car with me or when I go over light bumps in the road. It goes away when I make a hard right and the weight shifts/transfers to the left. Its not a whine or a clunk or moan like a typical rearend issue but like a metal on metal scraping noise.

I've changed rotors, checked backing plates, changed out the left axle bearing, drained and replaced fluid; no metal shavings, checked for any and all other evidence of anything rubbing and there just isn't anything there.

The only thing I've got left is its possibly a pinion bearing? Possibly the pinion angle is not set right? The clutch was changed last year and maybe the shop adjusted it incorrectly when they put everything back together?

Anyone who might have an idea that points me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Other than this I love the rearend.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Launching!

My first thought is a rim rubbing but it appears that you have already checked that.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Teching In

I've checked rims rubbing (they've been on there for several years w no probs), checked all brake stuff including parking brake, checked and replaced axle bearing/seal/wedding ring/ checked fluid, etc...

Thanks for taking a moment to give it a guess though.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man the ONLY thing I can think of is a tire rubbing the inner fender.....sounds like you've checked everything else.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Yeah...its not tire rub; this is a metallic metal on metal scraping sound...I can hear it over my loud *** exhaust....sounds kinda of like a brake rotor on a lather only worse....no evidence of tire contact to the inner fender well at all (285/40/17 on a 1 inch drop, qa1's are kept on a stiff setting)...

I've had this thing on a lift at least a dozen times and thoroughly inspected everything from the tranny back looking for any kind of contact at all...driveshaft is clean, torque arm is clean, exhaust isn't touching or anything....(this is becoming more annoying than my exwife and her mother in law and she shares Hitlers birthday... no coincidence I'm thinking.....)

Has anyone heard of an incorrect pinion angle causing this kind of problem before? That's what I'm going to check next although there isn't any excessive play in the yoke/u joint areas.

If that doesn't pan out, I'm thinking of pulling the rearend for a teardown, inspection and rebuild...and its only two years old. This has been getting steadily worse and I don't want to be driving it and have something critical break at any kind of speed.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This could sound really stoooopid but, check the brake pads and make sure one is not in backwards (metal part facing the rotor). I have seen this.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any metal in the diff fluid when you changed it? What kind of posi?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Teching In

New brake pads (replaced the originals on the rear), all in correctly, new rotors, parking brake shoes are in right and in good shape, no metal at all in the diff fluid... Its a true trac/4:30 gears/35 spline axles... I've had the axles pulled/inspected and changed the axle bearing/seal on the left hand side with parts directly from Strange.... Called Strange and they have no clue either.

Sounds like its coming from the left rear wheel area but I realize sound can travel as well.

At this point I can only suspect the pinion bearing at an incorrect setting/angle causing this.... unless someone else has another idea or thought...I'm open for suggestions at this point before I go and pull the entire unit for a teardown/inspection.

Again, its a metal rotating on metal scraping sound, happens when I have another person in the car/have any extra weight or when I go over bumps in the road, goes away when I take a hard right (all the weight transfers to the left), gets worse when I take a hard left, when I step on the brake it seems to go away a bit.

Thanks so much for the input so far.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Banned

Tryin Rollin The Fenders
Old 03-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Teching In

I had a problem similar to this when I owned my 95Z... Only difference is mine made the noise when I turned relatively hard to the left. Any other time, it was fine. The problem with mine was that the axle shaft was moving side to side inside the housing just enough when I turned that the brake rotor was contacting the caliper. Just sitting there, you couldnt tell because the shaft was where it was supposed to be. But when I turned to the left and put lateral force on the axle, it moved just enough to hit the rotor. This was on a 10 bolt though... I dont know how different the design is, but the problem in mine was a little too much slack somewhere in the differential.

I kind of went overkill fixing it, but I wanted high strength shafts anyway, so I replaced the shafts and the differential and the sound ceased. I wouldnt think yours should do anything like that after just 2 years, but ya never know...
Old 03-21-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did the break in for my s60 and everything seemed fine besides the whine that was present right after install. changed my wheels after my first 200 miles. got out the driveway and got this chun chun chun sound on rotation. didn't sound good... pulled the car in to loosen then retighten the right wheel and went around the block fine.
took the car out of town and later around 250 miles i was getting a chun chun chun sound with squeaking on slight right turns of the steering wheel(maybe 15 degrees worth of turn). at about 450 miles, i loosened and retightened the left wheel and the the chun chun chun sound went away but the sqeaking was still there when the wheel was turned right.
then the sqeaking went away at about 500 when i got back from the trip. looked on ls1tech and some people were saying it was the posi breaking in. took the rear in for its 500 mile check up at around 550 miles. shop said it looked fine and was the posi breaking in. i don't recall ahving the chun chun chun sound after 600 miles and i'm at 2000 now. i've gotten that squeaking sound maybe 5 times between 600-2000 miles on the rear and it is very faint.
what i say was a squeak did sound like metal on metal and could be described as high frequency like a rotor on a lathe but not as consistent in its course.

just throwing this out...maybe the spring or panhard or the s60 hitting the brace for the panhard?