Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Will 4.10s help me out???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 4.10s help me out???

Well today i went out to play this was the first time ive gotten to do ne thing since the cam install. I have to say im kind of disappointed, I ran another z28 with unknown mods other than he was m6 as well. He was half a car ahead when he punched it so i had to catch up. Then I ran a 347 stroked s/c stang running 8lbs and I still have stock gears on my car and the SOB wont go in 3rd so i have some more work to do. Is this a normal outcome for these races or is my car a turd with the ms4? and would some 4.10s greatly help my cause and change the outcome?

heres the link to the vids:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/910841-me-vs-z28-347-stroked-s-c-stang.html
Old 04-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A cam does not a fast car make...you need to make sure your install was fine (as in you degreed in the cam, double checked everything including proper pushrod length), you need to make sure the tune is spot on, etc. etc. There are too many things to point to one thing, but the 4.10s would probably help some. Cams that large are usually very soggy on the low end (the one MS3 car I've driven was really soft until it got up in the RPMs), so I'm not surprised at the outcome at all. The 4.10s will help mask the sogginess...
Old 04-27-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
A cam does not a fast car make...you need to make sure your install was fine (as in you degreed in the cam, double checked everything including proper pushrod length), you need to make sure the tune is spot on, etc. etc. There are too many things to point to one thing, but the 4.10s would probably help some. Cams that large are usually very soggy on the low end (the one MS3 car I've driven was really soft until it got up in the RPMs), so I'm not surprised at the outcome at all. The 4.10s will help mask the sogginess...
Install was fine used dot to dot method there is no degreeing of this cam and yes the proper pushrod length was used i called texas speed to confirm 7.400". Also this was high rpm's it was a roll race and I was at 4k when we hit it. It seems the clutch issues might be hanging me up as well for the 2-3 shift and yes the drill mod is done with both new master and updated slave. I may still have air in the lines. I'm just curious if 4.10's will help solve this issue or am i just expecting to much out of my car with the mods i have?

EDIT: Also if i hadnt installed the cam properly with that large of a cam on stock heads I would def have bent rods maybe even floated valves even just after start up and I only have a mail order tune from tsp right now.

Last edited by miller456; 04-27-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Racing from a roll like you did and starting from 4k rpms, you should be just nicely getting into the powerband with that cam. Keep in mind that guy has forced induction whereas you seem to be n/a. Also those notchback 'stangs are very light, so that guy had a couple of advantages right there. FWIW, u might as well get u some 4:10s so u can get your rpms up quicker to take advantage of that cam. I have a MS3, and am in the same boat as you. The 4:10s are going in mine when I get that "bonus" tax refund that we are all supposedly getting.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScrapinBye
Racing from a roll like you did and starting from 4k rpms, you should be just nicely getting into the powerband with that cam. Keep in mind that guy has forced induction whereas you seem to be n/a. Also those notchback 'stangs are very light, so that guy had a couple of advantages right there. FWIW, u might as well get u some 4:10s so u can get your rpms up quicker to take advantage of that cam. I have a MS3, and am in the same boat as you. The 4:10s are going in mine when I get that "bonus" tax refund that we are all supposedly getting.
Yea I'm n/a at the moment and I thought he actually might weigh more being a vert and all? maybe im wrong but i hear the ms3 and ms4 like some juice and thats the route I wanted to go so that will be another mod to bring in. I just wanted to make sure this run wasn't a disappointment and seems normal i just hate the thought of spending money on my 10 bolt lol.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has your car been dynotuned for the cam? And do you currently have 2:73's?
Old 04-27-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tylerdj
Has your car been dynotuned for the cam? And do you currently have 2:73's?
No my car is m6 3.42's and I only have a mail order tune from tsp but the way he pulled me I dont see a dynotune making that much difference in that outcome.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02

Sounds like you need another ride.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA
Sounds like you need another ride.
Holy shat by the looks of your sig maybe you could donate one to him?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every now and then I show up and donate to Steve a reality check.