Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Richmond 4.10s- whine normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Richmond 4.10s- whine normal?

They whine a bit on acceleration. I've heard that if gears whine after letting off the accelerator that this means the backlash might be off, but actually mine become quieter after decelerating.

Are Richmonds just a bit louder because they are designed as a race gear? Thats what the shop that installed them told me.

Anyone have any experience with high ratio Richmond gears?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2003, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Richmond 4.10s- whine normal?

Two words..... pinion depth
Old 08-10-2003, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What does "pinion depth" mean to a lamen
The only thing I know about 4.10 Richmond gears is that I was offered an unbeatable price and they arrive on Thurs.
I was told that they would be quieter than alot of other brands?
Old 08-10-2003, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

I have 3.90's and they are a little noticable around 60-65 but if I put my foot into it they are quite.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

I own the worst gear swap story in LS1 history. I went through 5 sets of Motives in 2 months and paid for every separate install. I could've had a 100 shot by now. After switching to Richmond's 4.10s, I noticed early that there's a slight "harmonic" whine between 55-65 mph, but I don't even notice it now.

Richmonds cut their gears differently than some, but it gives them more strength although sometimes prone a little more noise. Our stock rear ends are a piece of doo doo, and that makes matter much worse.

Get someone who has installed geared LS1's, as it is sometimes tough to find a great gear installer for this car.

I love my Richies. I am on my 3rd year with them now...!
Old 08-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Launching!

See thats what I hear too, that they are a sort of race oriented gear, strong and noisy. The whine doesn't bother me, and its not really loud, its just that I don't know if the whine means that they're tearing themselves apart. In a couple hundred miles, I'll have them change the gear oil and take a look at the gears.

Then other people tell me that no set of gears should be noisy and that this means the backlash is wrong, or here now I'm told that the pinion depth could be wrong. Then I see some site after a google search where this guy with a firebird had some Richmond 3.73s installed by the best shop in his town. He had some whine type noise and 4000 miles later the gears ate themselves apart. I think his pinion nut backed off

I don't know what to think.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

I feel for ya. Nobody felt for me, because no one had the nightmare that I had. I went through 5 sets, and each time I exchanged it they said I would get credit back for the Motives. Then at the end it was "sorry, we can't give you credit for all those damaged gears." I had a shitfit, and wrote the most hostile, angry, and threatening e-mail in history. The techs blamed the gears, the factory blamed the techs, and I was caught in the middle, spending dollar after dollar on every install (6 total.)

Motive finally gave in and said they would credit me after all my death threats. I switched to Richmond and my luck finally changed. I still don't have a logical explanation for it all, and neither does anyone else.

Here's my theory; Motive doesn't give you the factory pre-run numbers when they break em in before it gets to you. Richmond writes on the ring and pinion the pinion depth they pre-runned them at. My tech did his best to match the install to the factory's run. I guess that worked. Later, Motive got back to me and said that all the the gears were set up too tight (pinion depth) after they analyzed it at their testing site.

I have no gripe with Motive, as they finally helped me out. But it is a luck thing, as well as getting the right man to do it.

As far as the cut, I do believe that the Richies are cut more for strength than soundproofing. I'm no techno-geek, but I spent a lot of time on this, and that was the consensus. I also believe that if we didn't have this doo doo rear end, none of this would have happened. These stock rears don't have much tolerance-for anything.

E-mail me if you want ot hear more of my horror. If not, good luck, the 4.10s are a gas!
Old 08-15-2003, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a set of 3.72 Strange gears installed in my car and they wine a little bit at different speeds too, but I have put over 10k on them and they still work fine and never quit the noise. I am use to it now and with the radio system in I can't even hear it. get a audio upgrade and the noise will disapear.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:40 PM
Teching In

the reason the richmonds are loud is because the use more nickle then the stock gears. nickle makes them harder,so the more nickle in a gear the harder it is and te louder it will be.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:10 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slight whine with 4.10's is to be expected.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the pinion depth is 100% correct the gears will not whine.

Quick Reply: Richmond 4.10s- whine normal?