Sponsored by:

H/C ls1 vs my bolt on 10SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default H/C ls1 vs my bolt on 10SS

Both 6 speed cars.

2000 z28 M6 H/C 420rwhp mustang dyno (prc 2.5 heads and ms3 cam). He has 3.73 gears also.

Both cars had about a half tank of gas. Both cars had no passengers.

We raced on a local air strip from a 40 roll to about 135.

We raced twice and it was an epic battle. We were pretty much neck and neck with me staying about a car ahead and winning by about 1- 1 1/2 cars to 135.

I previously owned a h/c ls1 f-bod and have also ridden in his many times. I am stunned. I thought for sure I would lose. His car feels faster than mine no doubt but it is not.

Anyway...I am sure most will not believe me...I really cant believe it myself.

Only thing I can think of is that his car is on the heavy side. It is a full option t-top car and my car is about as light as it gets for a 5th gen without serious weight reduction (aftermarket exhaust took some weight off) I also make about as good of numbers as you can get for a bolt on car....but **** I dont know...I dont understand it.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

he shouldve won but it doesnt matter. good job.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is impressive. I'm a little surprised but I can see that. My nephew has had 2 full bolt-on LS1's. His old 99 Z28 A4 with lid, headers, ORY, borlamouth, U/D pulley, tune, ported TB and LS6 intake. And now a 99 SS M6 with everything mentioned but the LS6 and ported TB and has an FIPK instead of a lid. I pulled both by a few cars with just a tune and roto-fab. These cars respond well to minimal mods and move out for being 3800+ lbs. Both LS1's did feel faster than my 2010 too, especially the A4 Z.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Gen V Camaro seems to be a little under rated in some peoples eyes.

This car can perform very well, despite it's weight.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Starting from a dead stop would be interesting.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

I have both and my 10 makes close to 100hp more but the 02 SS a4 is alot easy to drive but from a roll i think the 10 will win @ top end which the 10 has been 162mph in 4th and still did not hit the rev limiter.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggerorange73
The Gen V Camaro seems to be a little under rated in some peoples eyes.

This car can perform very well, despite it's weight.
So true...
Old 06-26-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

That is strange, my guess would've been that he'd beat you as well. Could be his driving could be his setup, good win none the less. I noticed you mentioned head and cam, what type of intake is he running?

Last edited by Lethal Z; 06-26-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Well i was the guy in the other car...

Heres my take-

1st run-was 1-1/2 cars lengths with the 2010 coming out on top

2nd run- was more like me on his quarter panel pretty much the whole race

It seems like he has more bottom end but my Z28 has more mid range cuz when i hit third gear i would reel him in hard, then when i hit 4th he would edge me out again. I dont really understand this either. The first race was wose because he was beeping the horn both times and he got a slight jump cuz of my slow reaction, but the second race was much better.

In my defense my my car is running extremely rich, and it needs a retune as Ultrazls1 can contest to this. But either way i had alot of fun no matter win or lose.

My question is now should i pay the money for a retune it has never ran right since the intial tune from EPP. On start up it seems way to rich and seems like its running on a few cylinders until the others ones pick up. I can literally start it move it slowly across the drive way a couple time and itll be loaded up that fast with decent amount of black smoke coming out.

I know this thing should have way better throttle response, would the tune help this out and possibly make me more horse power when it gets leaned out?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if your AFR is off it will help and explains somewhat why you lost.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Launching!

a tune can make a big differance.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it was definitely fun. Win or lose Im not rubbing it in...I just needed some feedback because the results were slightly unexpected...I would have guessed you would edge me out (reverse the outcome)

I am not sure how much of it is your tune on idle or the fact that you have a MASSIVE cam. The car sure does rip for running rich and it made the numbers it should have for a mustang dyno. I dont know if you should re-invest in another tune or possibly do something else to your car and then have it tuned again.

As for the car length thing. I count 1 car as you being at my quarter panel. By the end of the second race I didnt think you were at my quarter...I started pulling a little bit more as we got to about 130 and then you let off. But yeah...they were very close/fun races.

Im not sure you reeled me in "hard" in the mid range...but I could see you gaining some for sure.

Final note...the cars are seriously just about dead even and I am sure it could come out the other way next time and I wouldnt be surprised. Maybe I out drove you...

For the question about the intake. It is an ls6 intake and a Bo White ported throttle body (both off of my old car and I also installed the heads and cam for him)
Old 06-26-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CGMLS3
Starting from a dead stop would be interesting.
His car blows the tires off in first gear. He would have to out drive me handily to beat me from a stop. My car still hooks very well...
Old 06-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Yes it was definitely fun. Win or lose Im not rubbing it in...I just needed some feedback because the results were slightly unexpected...I would have guessed you would edge me out (reverse the outcome)

I am not sure how much of it is your tune on idle or the fact that you have a MASSIVE cam. The car sure does rip for running rich and it made the numbers it should have for a mustang dyno. I dont know if you should re-invest in another tune or possibly do something else to your car and then have it tuned again.

As for the car length thing. I count 1 car as you being at my quarter panel. By the end of the second race I didnt think you were at my quarter...I started pulling a little bit more as we got to about 130 and then you let off. But yeah...they were very close/fun races.

Im not sure you reeled me in "hard" in the mid range...but I could see you gaining some for sure.

Final note...the cars are seriously just about dead even and I am sure it could come out the other way next time and I wouldnt be surprised. Maybe I out drove you...

For the question about the intake. It is an ls6 intake and a Bo White ported throttle body (both off of my old car and I also installed the heads and cam for him)
with a good tune i have seen several MS3 cars start right up and idle fine. it should never load up or run rough, exspeacially if its warm outside and doesn't sit for a long long time between starts.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ls3 is a damn good motor so even with a few mods can get nasty
Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Teching In

BTW _Ultraz was a said the cam was a magic stick 3, actually the cam is a smaller TSP Tourquer V3
Old 06-26-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fast50hz
BTW _Ultraz was a said the cam was a magic stick 3, actually the cam is a smaller TSP Tourquer V3
Really?

I hadnt really asked because you said it had an ms3 in a previous post back in the day. Cant remember 4 years ago when I installed it...my bad

My 4th gen had a 228/230 xer lobe cam. It idled good...but would surge from time to time. The larger the cam the rougher the idle/worse daily driving manners...

The cars were at ~4k when the race started and in the upper rpms the entire time after that. A rich problem when idling/low rpms wouldnt matter that much in this type of race. A re-tune may help...but im not sure its worth the money to get the advantage he wants.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Launching!

it would all just matter how messed up the tune is, to me it would be worth it just for driving the car. its not good on it to run rich even if it is just start ups and idiling.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

I seen this happen already, theres a local 02 SS, its just a "mild" H/C car, and i know this guy with a '10 SS, intake/exhaust/tune and that '10 SS pulled on the 02 SS. That same car also pulled on a LS1 GTO with some unknown cam that put down right above 400whp. Its funny because people around here swear that he has nitrous, and he does, but its not in the car...yet.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Those do seem like low #s for a head/cam 6 speed LS1....guess the tune is off. Have either of you ran your cars in the 1/4 mile?

Quick Reply: H/C ls1 vs my bolt on 10SS