Gen 5 Camaro Racing Tech, Results Drag racing, road racing, street racing. Share tech & results!

Launching a high RWHP stick car

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Launching a high RWHP stick car

I have no experience! All of my racing has been with autos. My car puts down just shy of 750RWHP. I have Bogarts and slicks. I have a Gforce 9" with 3.89 gears and also the Pedders coilovers on all 4 corners and toe rods.

The car is currently having a Mantic 9000 installed and the track opens in about 4 weeks. So, how do I get her off the line? I have a two-step hooked to the clutch switch. I am thinking of launching at 3500RPM or so, but maybe that isn't high enough. Looking for some opinions on launch technique and suggestions for the front/rear suspensions (maybe a drag bar?).
Old 03-12-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pancherj
I have no experience! All of my racing has been with autos. My car puts down just shy of 750RWHP. I have Bogarts and slicks. I have a Gforce 9" with 3.89 gears and also the Pedders coilovers on all 4 corners and toe rods.

The car is currently having a Mantic 9000 installed and the track opens in about 4 weeks. So, how do I get her off the line? I have a two-step hooked to the clutch switch. I am thinking of launching at 3500RPM or so, but maybe that isn't high enough. Looking for some opinions on launch technique and suggestions for the front/rear suspensions (maybe a drag bar?).
I had a stick shift tranny behind my 1200 horsepower 2010 Camaro with bogart slicks. I launched at 3000, anything higher and I'd smoke the tires.
your car is different and I think 3500 is a good starting point.
if it hooks at 3500 then try a little higher on each pass till you find the sweet spot as evidenced by your 60 foots. it all depends on your suspension, flywheel weight (I had an aluminum flywheel to try to keep the tires from spinning), track prep, tire psi, etc...
Old 03-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the input Ray. I have an aluminum flywheel going in with the Mantic.

Any opinions about drag bar , unhooking front sway or skinny front runners?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

I only speak auto but all 3 of those things ain't gonna hurt.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:35 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the input Ray. I have an aluminum flywheel going in with the Mantic.

Any opinions about drag bar , unhooking front sway or skinny front runners?
I agree with grocerygetter, good drag racing items however I don't use the drag bar because my street manners are very important to me.

drag racing type sway bars are for straight line. they are not made for the street, comfort, or handling. they really impact the street manners and ride.

the adjustable drag bars minimize (but not completely eliminate) the impact to the ride on the street if you loosen them on the street and tighten them on the drag track. Even with the softer settings they are very stiff on the street and will cause the car to over-steer and fast turns should be taken with more care.

I drive on the street without a front sway bar and the the skinniest front runners and the street manners are good. at a hair under 150 mph in the 1/4 mile I go so straight that I cross the finish line looking at the movement of the hood in the wind. lol
Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Manners of the adjustable drag bar was somthing I was concerned about. I love drag racing and will go as much as I can. But, my car is a street car first. I take my 3 little kids cruising all the time.

My sort of plan...crank up the compression on the rear coilovers to maximum stiff. Opposite on the fronts. Disconnect end link on front sway bar. Hold off on skinny fronts for now. Purchase brand new rear tires for my Bogarts.

What about clutch action. I have my LNC2000 setup so that the two step disengages near the very top of the clutch pedal travel. My theory is that I want the clutch to start to grab while my RPMs are limited. This way, I can keep the gas pedal on the floor at launch and also on shifts.

Sound reasonable?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Manners of the adjustable drag bar was somthing I was concerned about. I love drag racing and will go as much as I can. But, my car is a street car first. I take my 3 little kids cruising all the time.

My sort of plan...crank up the compression on the rear coilovers to maximum stiff. Opposite on the fronts. Disconnect end link on front sway bar. Hold off on skinny fronts for now. Purchase brand new rear tires for my Bogarts.

Sound reasonable?
The above sounds like a good place to start. I use Pfadt street sways on the stiffest setting out back...not a drag bar. I am pretty consistently cutting 1.5s with a best of a 1.49 on MT DR's (18")
Old 03-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Launching!

I saw those bars! I did something similar on my old 1975 Nova when I drag raced it. I added a stiff rear bar from a trans am and it seemed to help.

I guess Pfadt is out...anyone make something similar?

Quick Reply: Launching a high RWHP stick car