Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Anyone else dissapointed with new Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone else dissapointed with new Camaro?

:rant on:

Let me start by saying, I HATE 1ST GEN CAMAROS!!!!

(If you are involved with the car show scene, you probably know what I'm saying. The 1st gens are so "overplayed", that I almost can't stand going to a show anymore. Seriously, rows and rows of the SAME DAMN CAR!)

Anyways, the fact that the new Camaro is "retro" 1969 (with 1967-68 wheel openings), has completely turned me off of it.

I'm a diehard chevy man, work for a chevy dealership, have owner 3 camaros, 3 novas, a dropped 72 cheyenne, and all my "daily drivers" have been chevys (with the exception of my 96 GMC diesel).

I will not be purchasing a NOC (New Old Camaro)!!!

I guess I'll have to wait 30+ years for a "retro" 2002

:rant off:

PS, I won't lower my standards and buy a FOMOCO or DC, so... anyone have a no-option, hardtop 2002 Z28 for sale????

Last edited by NO-OPTION-2002; 01-09-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not all that impressed with it. I'd like to see what a more production ready version looks like. I doubt that roof line will make it, the windows are way too short to be useful, and there is almost nothing to the decklid. The wheels are too damn big. Can we please get back to 17" wheels that will fit 315 rubber? **** these 255-275 section tires on 20" rims. And we bitch about having to grind our calipers now for 15" Draglites.....................imagine thying to fit even a 17" rim over brakes that were designed to go inside 20s .
Old 01-09-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel ya man,Even if they did like a 1975 version or late 70 retro.I am like you will have to wait 30 yrs for another SS or WS6 version. Who Knows?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you look at the camaros through the generations you can see the family linage and evolution to the current fourth gen. even the "catfish" grill in the 4th gen harkens back to the 70-73 second gens. the shape of the b-pilliar goes back to the second gens also. however the design was not retro, but a progression. this design is soley a retro design. as if you took a 69 and updated it for 2009. one of the most endering factors to the GM and even more the Chevrolet product lines is that in just about every model you can see the family linage and progression through evolution through the years. if you stacked every chevy truck year for year next to eachother you can follow it, same with the vette. even though the C6 uses some cues from earlier generation vettes, it also encompasses a further development of the C5 it replaced. this car does none of that for the Camaro. in a period where ford and dodge are using their past glory to trump sales (with the exception of the charger, cuz they are just using the name and trying like hell to make it cool) you would think GM would look forward and step away from the pack. the rendering that is posted earlier in this thread, altho not completly correct, is the direction i think that the boys at the bowtie works would and should go.

yes i am happy that they are talking big V-8 and rear wheel drive, that tickles me no end. however, if you are going to call it a name that has as much history as this one does then the shape and feel of the car should reflect that. and as pointed out earlier in this thread, by the time this hits production peole will have tired of the whole retro thing.
we should learn from history, not repeat it
Old 01-09-2006, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not dissapointed at all.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Me either i love it, some small changes but other than that i want one.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

nope Id hit....
Old 01-09-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Boo hoo.

Most of us think it's amazing. I really don't see how some of you guys are picking it apart to hell. GM gave us exactly what we wanted.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Restricted User

I'm with the crowd on this one, that's one hot car. It's exactly what GM needs right now to compete within this retro (fad or whatever it is) segment. Sounds like it's going to have the right power and gear to make the world it's playground. I'll be joining the rest of the guys in line in 2008 or 2009. Make mine black.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't understand the complaints, especially from self-proclaimed "Camaro enthusiasts". Everyone boo hoo'd when the General cut the Camaro from production, and begged for the last few years for them to bring it back. GM has now built one pissed-off looking rwd concept car for us, and we have guys complaining that it has heritage-inspired lines like the 1st gen?

Face the facts, the 1st gen is THE most popular Camaro style. This new one SHOULD look like a Camaro and tie back to its roots. I like the fact that my next Camaro will still look like a Camaro, and not some George Jetson space ship with a Camaro emblem on it.

You guys keep saying 'retro is a fad', but have no proof to back that up. Sometimes its good to go back to proven designs and styling that have been successful. The appeal for 1st gens hasn't died in nearly 40 years, its a PROVEN design basis. If retro is a fad, how come Harley sales have steadily gone up in the last 10 years? How come the Ford Mustang sold so well? PT Cruiser? VW Bug? All have sold tons of them, so it appears that people enjoy things that remind them of the past.

Every time I sit in my '69 Camaro it reminds me of back in high school when I had my first 69 Camaro. I'm starting to think that people that hate retro must have had some pretty awful pasts that they would rather not remember.

I hate to say it, but if you can't appreciate the new Camaro concept and all that it stands for, you aren't a true Camaro enthusiast.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I hate to say it, but if you can't appreciate the new Camaro concept and all that it stands for, you aren't a true Camaro enthusiast.
Couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tony, I most respectfully disagree.

While I may not be a First Gen lover, I do appreciate what they did for GM and chevy enthusiasts in 1967, 1968, and 1969. The Camaro has an amazing HISTORY.

But, what we all (the Auto Industry) need to remember, this is the year 2006.
IMHO GM needs to give us an updated/redesinged/newer look Camaro, not a trendy "me too" car.

Please don't assume that I have had an "awful past". I drove a 1965 Nova Hardtop for my high school car. I loved that car, the 1965 Nova Hardtop after it, and my Current 1965 Nova Hardtop that I am restoring.

If GM were to come out with a "retro" 1965 Nova Hardtop, I still would think it's not a smart move.

But, I must agree, sales are sales. For GM to succeed (and for me to continue to have a job), all that matters, TO GM, is new car sales.

You may be right about the "retro" thing, those damn HHR's are flying off our lot as fast as we can get them.

Just my opinion, I really didn't want to upset anyone, I kind of assumed that others thought likewise, sorry if I offended anyone.

Last edited by NO-OPTION-2002; 01-09-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Exactly! People complained the GTO didn't look like a GTO, and now everyone is complaining that the Camaro looks like a Camaro! What the heck!

I love it BTW. I don't like the huge wheels, because of the cost of the tires, but concepts always have huge rims. I'm not worried about it. The dash and gauges are over the top, but that's how concepts are. If they build it, I will buy it, no questions about it.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Teching In

I love it!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Could not disagree more with ya. I think alot of the desire to see the camaro come back is driving the acceptance of the concept. Just because folks don't like it or think it looks like a want to be mustang, doesn't mean they are not true camaro enthusiasts. The concept Shelby and Challenger by far capture the ol' time muscle car feel. The Camaro concept does not...at least to me and a few others. It's only salvation is the production car will obviously be tweeked and refined. That will be the ultimate test of sales.
I would think the true camaro enthusiast would demand no less than the best looking 5th generation that truely captures the Camaro spirit...or else it will eventually be gone for good....JMHO.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:13 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not complaining. About the only thing I really truely don't like is the opening in the bumper in front of the hood. Other than that, it's nice.

At least they attempted something. I agree with Tony... everyone bitched when they discontinued it, and now that they put in some effort, people are still bitching.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Launching!

I like what I see so far, especially the interior. I'm hoping the production model will have smaller wheels (either 17's or 18's).
Old 01-09-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not bitching, it would be nice to have styling clues from more than 1 generation.

demonspeed, haven't you had many 3rd and 4th gens? Wouldn't you perfer the new car be more like your previous cars? Not flaming, I seriously would like to know!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Tony - That's not true at all. If anything, the Camaro nameplate and heritage has always evoked passion from it's followers over the decades. There's no doubt the 69 Camaro is a timeless design, but remember at the time it was considered ahead of it's time because it was certainly one of the most sleek looking musclecars of it's day. That forward thinking helped cement the "boy racer" tag associated with the Camaro over the years. As a true Camaro enthusiast I believe living up the great Camaro Heritage is more about offering the best bang-for-buck performance than a offering a specific body style that harkens back to the "good ol days". To each their own, but remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

The camaros were getting uglier with every generation. I love 1st and 2nd gens, 3rd gens are kinda cool, I honestly couldnt stand the 4th gen LT1, the LS1 was barely passable. I am extremely excited with the new camaro, and expect to be buying one.

Quick Reply: Anyone else dissapointed with new Camaro?