Gen 6 Camaro 2016+ Forum The forum for discussion of the 6th Gen 2016+ Camaro

New camaro ss rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New camaro ss rough ride

SORRY BUT I SEARCHED AND FOUND NOTHING , I just purchased an 2016 ss w/magnetic ride control, the car was a demo car and has roughly 2100 miles on it, i tried driving in every mode on the car and the ride is really rough to the point the rear end jumps side was when I go over mumps on the high way , I cant believe that this car with all the suspension upgrade would ride this rough , Is this just the way the car is? Is maybe my ride control not working ? is there a way to tell ? would there be a service light on? I'm new to sports cars period so if anyone could be of help , thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the one i drove rode smoothly.

what kinds of roads were you on and how were you driving?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:46 PM

driving 65 mph on the highway in Illinois , evrey crease in the road the car bounced like it did in my z71 silverado i just traded but my truck rear end did not bounce to the side.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe you should have the dealer look at it if it's that bad. An IRS is an overrated handling piece but it's biggest performance benefit if how it stays composed compared to a SRA on rough and bumpy surfaces. Also a IRS generally rides much stiffer than a SRA without being harsh. This makes for flatter cornering. IMO you usually see bigger benefits in ride quality opposed to handling benefits with a IRS.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

We have seen intermittent issues with this same condition with MRC cars that have lowering springs. We are doing testing and development work now to resolve that.

In your case, it is possible that, being a demo car those 2100 miles were not easy miles. If the car had a bad enough wheelhop condition, I could see it damaging one of the MRC sensors and causing the rear shocks to fault out. I would take it back to the dealer and have them look at this. These cars ride and handle amazing, so for you to be having the issues you are describing, something is definitely wrong.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
We have seen intermittent issues with this same condition with MRC cars that have lowering springs. We are doing testing and development work now to resolve that.

In your case, it is possible that, being a demo car those 2100 miles were not easy miles. If the car had a bad enough wheelhop condition, I could see it damaging one of the MRC sensors and causing the rear shocks to fault out. I would take it back to the dealer and have them look at this. These cars ride and handle amazing, so for you to be having the issues you are describing, something is definitely wrong.

WELL ...I know the manager who was driving it , he told me he was easy on the car, the car also tells how much fuel was used over its life time, so what i di to see if he was telling the truth , I divided the miles by the gallons and came up to 21.5 mpg, Im sure now if he had been on the sh** and get it would be more around 12 or 13 , 21.5 is pretty good and in mid range of the top mpg, I dont know if im crazy but I feel evrey shift hard in touring mode as if its dragging into gear and when iIcome to a stop I feel the car pushing me at the stop sign as it drop through the gears, I traded my 2014 silverado that did the same exact thing to me for the first 10k miles , was sloppy as hell and after 10k it smoothed out like butter, the car is going back this saturday anyway for the new driver seat and the repainting of the front of the car they promised cause the seat had a rip and there was rock chips, im gonna test drive another on the lot and see how it feels then ill make my complaint , I just dont remember it feeling like that but then again the car salesman is also my buddy and we was talking sh** so i was not paying attention lol . car just feels weird I guess but this is my first sports car, it has no problem when you punch it I would just think it would be smoother than the z71 silverado i had but its not .
Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

a ripped seat and rock chips would make me consider giving that car back.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
a ripped seat and rock chips would make me consider giving that car back.
WHY? have you never gotten a rock hit your car ever? door ding in the parking lot ? Its cosmetic and as i said they are giving me a new seat and charging a tricoat paint job to gm, I dont see the problem since I got a a 49 k msrp car for 36k , you buy the car to drive not to sit in a garage i hope life happens , all im trying to do is make sure the car is right mechanically, and I guess i will know after i test drive another one saturday .
Old 09-30-2016, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

it just seems like this car has been driven hard. possible suspension problems a long with those things you mentioned.

if it gets taken care of great i just dont like reading about these problems on a brand new car.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:09 PM

it just seems like this car has been driven hard. possible suspension problems a long with those things you mentioned.

if it gets taken care of great i just dont like reading about these problems on a brand new car.
Well as I said life time mpg is 21 mpg so I can't possibly see how it was driven hard , and it's going in the shop tomorrow I'll be test driving new ones tomorrow and I'll go from there
Old 09-30-2016, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

my 1le averages 12 mpg And i dont have ripped seats or paint and suspension damage.

im just saying. if theres any damage done to my car i want to be the one doing it.

but,there was a ding on my drivers door that my friend saw and the dealer agreed to fix it. they even put it in writing. it looks brand new.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

2100 miles with a ripped seat and stone chips? This car has been rode hard and put away wet. My 2002 with 19,000miles has no stone chips and the interior looks brand new.

Fwiw There are a couple Brand New 2016 2SS here locally marked down to 37k. Gm can not hardly sell these over priced bastages.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
2100 miles with a ripped seat and stone chips? This car has been rode hard and put away wet. My 2002 with 19,000miles has no stone chips and the interior looks brand new.

Fwiw There are a couple Brand New 2016 2SS here locally marked down to 37k. Gm can not hardly sell these over priced bastages.
im not trying to make anyone feel bad but theres no reason for a car with 2100 miles have all those things wrong with it.

its discounted for a reason. because its damaged goods.

ive been somewhat looking at 6th gens at local dealers and im not seeing these deep discounts some of you are getting.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:05 AM

my 1le averages 12 mpg And i dont have ripped seats or paint and suspension damage.

im just saying. if theres any damage done to my car i want to be the one doing it.

but,there was a ding on my drivers door that my friend saw and the dealer agreed to fix it. they even put it in writing. it looks brand new.
yeah and that's what the dealer is doing now, i guess you never had bad luck, drive in heaven or something cause you seem to think rocks dont fly off and hit cars , or leather gets torn. I wont be replying to you anymore as it seems youre not actually reading what im saying,
Old 10-01-2016, 12:08 AM

seems like some of you don't actually drive your car, ain't a car ive owned that has not met a rock on the high way, hell my dads 57 had to have the fender repainted cause a truck threw a rock on it
Old 10-01-2016, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

holy **** man calm down.

got those things taken care of and enjoy your car.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:28 PM
Teching In

my 16 ss w/ magna rides great over bumps here in DFW (some of the worst roads I've ever encountered). Maybe the sensor(s) just went bad who know/ who cares... the car shouldn't behave that way. go get it fixed! it's definitely BROKE
Old 02-04-2017, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultimate orange is just pissed that he doesn't have a 6th gen so he's knocking your ride. When buying a used car they don't always look brand new.

I bought a used G8 and it had many rock chips on the front end. That doesn't mean the car was abused, it means that GM has shitty paint that chips easily.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol,yea ok.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know what's wrong with the car. It's a demo. Demos are the most mistreated vehicles on the lot. Rock chips do happen, but at 2100 miles? The tear in the seat should tell you the carelessness of the employees driving the vehicle. I doubt a customer did that. I'm pretty sure the 2100 miles is what caught your eye for the purchase. I hope the car wasn't ragged on.

Quick Reply: New camaro ss rough ride