Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General LSX Automobile Discussion
Non-technical LSX related topics.
Sponsored by
Stainless Headers
Click Here

WTF Car runs with VATS key security unplugged?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Question WTF Car runs with VATS key security unplugged?

My car hasnt been working for the last three days. Ive checked every fuse and all the grounds, swapped the battery etc. When ever I tried to turn the key the starter wouldnt activate nor the solenoid. NO solid securtity light came on. So after trying different things I tried the VATS bypass and it didnt work,So for some reason I left the Vats unplugged WITHOUT a resistor and the car fired up.How can the car run with the vats unplugged?

Whisper Lid,Smooth Bellow,K&N,Free Mods,Slight PP TB,Descreened MAF,LT's,ORY,Electric Cutout,02 Sims,Hardened Pushrods,MSD Wires,Moser 9 Inch,4.11 Gears,Rear Spacing!,UMI LCA,UMI Adjus. TA,Poly Swaybar End Links,Umi Upper A Arms,Ceramic Brakes,Short Shifter Stick,Drill Mod,Skip Shift Eliminator,Tick Master Cylinder,Monster Stage 3,LW Flywheel,walbro 255 lph,Casper Hotwire Kit, 42# green tops,Procharger,Plus other lil appearance and audio stuff
jattgunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

Is the car tuned? It's possible the VATS could be turned off in the ECU... :shrug:
Bad_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 15
Send a message via AIM to cgroh89 Send a message via Yahoo to cgroh89

Hmmm, I had a car that I put in the resistor to start the car and it would run without it afterwards

2004 Cadillac CTS-V
cgroh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to Nightrydass

my car did the same hting, ended up needed a new ingition switch, ******* $600 w/ tow and labor...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Yea its acting up now sometimes it wont start without the resistor but most of the time it will start without the resistor with the security light on..And the car has not been tuned
(ps all examples are with vats unplugged)

Whisper Lid,Smooth Bellow,K&N,Free Mods,Slight PP TB,Descreened MAF,LT's,ORY,Electric Cutout,02 Sims,Hardened Pushrods,MSD Wires,Moser 9 Inch,4.11 Gears,Rear Spacing!,UMI LCA,UMI Adjus. TA,Poly Swaybar End Links,Umi Upper A Arms,Ceramic Brakes,Short Shifter Stick,Drill Mod,Skip Shift Eliminator,Tick Master Cylinder,Monster Stage 3,LW Flywheel,walbro 255 lph,Casper Hotwire Kit, 42# green tops,Procharger,Plus other lil appearance and audio stuff
Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Anyone?

Old 05-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to 3.4camaro

Sometimes VATS can malfunction, yet realize it has malfunctioned, and still allow you to use the car.

It happened on my 95v6. The security light came on and stayed on for months.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Nice, VATS works so well. . . . . My resistor is staying in and never comming out.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

So far its been running with no resistor and vats unplugged with the security light on. Im happy as long as she keeps running

Old 06-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
TECH Fanatic
2007 Volkswagen GTI
My Garage

Trader Rating: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jattgunman View Post
So far its been running with no resistor and vats unplugged with the security light on. Im happy as long as she keeps running
No resistor in the key or no bypass resistor? So what you are saying is you unplugged that lil harness for the VATS key reader under the column & it starts? Hmm, if so thats wierd. I had a 95 monte with VATS & it had an intermittent no crank. Problem ended up being someone had ANOTHER key cylinder ziptied under the dash with a VATS key installed, plugged that into the VATS harness & that was their bypass. The resistor pellet on that key was very worn, so it wasnt making good contact & causing intermittent no starts. With that being said, I cant see how your car can keep working without the VATS resistor reading getting to the PASSKEY module. UNLESS someone did some bypassing under the dash, if the module doesnt see the correct resistance reading from those 2 small white wires, it will not allow the starter to crank, let alone send the proper signal to the PCM to allow the injectors to spray fuel.
2000 SS M6 SLP lid, SSRA, TSP 1 7/8 LTs & ORY, LS6 intake, TSP 228 cam, TFS 215s, Ford 42s, GMMG, Pro 5.0, Monster 3 clutch, QT Bell & Tick MC, HPTuners, MT DRs, SJM line lock, MWC fab 9 w/ 4.11s, UMI 3 pt SFCs & LCAs, Bilsteins & Stranos.
06 Chevy 1500 the sled hauler
99 GTP SOLD
07 GTI M6 Daily Driver
flintwrench69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:08 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement