General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just venting

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just venting

Went to the track this weekend and the story was not so good...

Fuel pump must have got too hot on the 1.5 hour drive
After letting the it cool off i went out and ran a 12.4 at 110 up from my 11.56 at 115
Once it started again finally I ran an 11.88 at 115 (pulled one wheel 6 inches!)
Big joke right... So I got home and was pulling the plugs to find that after 100 miles they were all (minus 3 or 4) covered in soot or oil.. Did a compression test on one cylinder- 120, second cylinder I tested-90, back cylinder on the driver side-0!! 1600 miles and the motor is gone already. I didn't even bother checking the rest of them.
When I looked at the stock ls6 heads that I swapped out a couple weeks ago it was the same story with the plugs and the valves were BLACK and covered in oil on the ones I suspected were!!
So here I am, after waiting 9 months for a refreshed stock internal block, it lasts me just over 1600 miles. All this being 7 weeks before I leave for basic training.
I haven't got to pull the motor yet because the head gasket blew in my daily so that is my priority.

I'm furious. I just needed to vent.

The motor was done by a supposedly reputable shop too.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Damn man that sucks was the tune spot on?? Why did you refresh the engine onthe first place? Last, is the shop a sponsor here? I'm goin to be lookin at an engine (not sure what it will be yet) and this might be helpful to people like me. Thank you in advance
Old 11-14-2011, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

No it wasn't a sponsor on here. Local shop. He was supposed to poet the heads for me and i took the motor down there cuz i didn't have anywhere to store it. But no it wasnt in the tune. I tried to upload pics but it won't work on my phone. I ran 11.88 and pulled the driver wheel on 7 cylinders with weak pump. guess that's impressive with a 207 .571/.578 cam with a 118.5.. Just sucks. Do hour research. Start with suspension. Build a combo that woris though. Don't just throw the biggest of everything you can find on your car. Thats the best advice I can give. I have a tiny cam and without the tune dialed in I surpassed everyone's expectations. Good luck.

Last edited by doubleD_white_t/a; 11-15-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleD_white_t/a
Build a compo that woris though. Don't just throw the biggest of everything you can find on yiur car. Thats the best advice I can give.
that advise right there is GOLD
Old 11-15-2011, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

after 60 miles plug was covered.

heads were on when i got the motor and that is what the plug and the driver cylinder looked like after 1600 miles.
Attached Thumbnails Just venting-fail.jpg   Just venting-cylinder.jpg   Just venting-failnew.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

what I'm gathering is that he built the motor and you put the heads on there?

"When I looked at the stock ls6 heads that I swapped out a couple weeks ago"

did you mean you personally did it by using I, or just in a general term that you had it handled, by him?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

no it had the ls6 heads on it, I got a long block from him

i put on some patriot stage 2's. but judging from looking at the heads he put on, the problem was clearly already there. After running better than what everyone thought the car would I did not think an inspection of the heads was necessary. So... i did not look at the ones that I pulled when I put the ported ones on there.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:54 AM
11 Second Club

I think that I may or may not have spoke too soon. Pulled the NEW heads off and this was my little surprise

How pretty!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chipped a piston.. so it was in the tune/detonation?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Man things like this suck! I see something that brings a big red flag up to me. If the engine was supposed to built when you got it wonder why they chose to go back with stock pistons? Think I would dig deep to see how reputable the shop really is. How much did they charge for the initial engine?

Also, Did you have the compression and injectors checked out at any point in time? Since you did not mention injectors as an upgrade and at your level you most likely have them maxed out I hope that they were at least cleaned and flowed to make sure that they were up to speed.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Poor misty. I know your pain lol.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Jared.

And I chose to go back to stock internals because I had a motor in the car with 214k and I was actually saving my money for a turbo build. I was however lied to about what was in it when I got it. The pump was NOT a ported ls6, rod bolts were some cheap stock replacement, etc, etc. I didn't know though because I took the heads pan and all that to him like he asked and he put it on. At the end of the day, all I can do is live and learn.

The second motor install was a lot faster and I had way less trials and tribulations. At least I learned my lesson the the N/A set up instead of the nitrous build right?? I think all I can do is see the amateur mistakes I made and not repeat them.

HP tuners will be one of my near future invetments
Old 11-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Somehow I bet you are not the first person to get ripped off by this shop. There is no telling what history those pistons had before you got them.

I see the injector comment I made was missed. What ones did you end up using? They can bite you in the butt!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

it had the stock ones for about 1500 miles maybe made 4 passes with those but I was only making about 360 with that set up. I upgraded to 42lb ones and once i put those in. Tune was flashed and didn't go above 3k

I took the shortblock to the guy and most the parts minus rings, rod bolts, mains etc. 9 months later I got my block back
Old 11-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

What do you mean when you say that you did not go above 3K?
Old 11-27-2011, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

The tuner set the rev limiter to 4k and the top speed to 80 the car sat in the driveway except for random trips to the grocery store or whatever. So getting up to speed it only saw 3000 rpms and never above 50mph
Old 11-27-2011, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

My ex boyfriend sold me an ebay 255 pump and hotwire kit as a walbro that I put on as well. It was fine until I guess it overheated on my 2 hour drive to the track and as soon as i got to the track the car died. IDK if that would cause it to lean out enough to kill the motor. I put about 400 miles on the pump and until I took that long trip it had never acted up.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

I think that it can be anything goes when you get into cheap ebay knock off parts. Sometimes they can be great and other times they are fail city. Sounds like you were on the bad side of fail. Guess I am still not getting why the tuner would have put a 4k limit and a top speed of 80 in the car unless there was a known issue noticed during the tune. Something had to have changed at some point or you have one hell of a combo to have ran those times with a 4k limit. LOL
Old 11-27-2011, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

I would not have bought it if I had known better bf of over a year and a half lived together. Wanted to make a quick buck off a girl that wanted to go fast. Learned my lesson. Got the racetronix and their hotwire on now. And the reason he put those limits on is cuz he didnt have time to tune it.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sucks. ive been there more than once.

make the best of it and get a killer setup.