General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Hood not flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood not flush

My hood is closing down further than usual making the front of the car raised up further than the hood. any quick fixes or is my hood latch malfunctioning?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,093 Posts

There are 4 bump stops that can be adjusted to raise or lower the closed height of the hood. Two of them are on the sides of the engine bay near the front, and these are used mostly to adjust hood height against the fenders. The other two are right up front by the washer fluid bottle, and these are used mostly to adjust hood height against the front clip.

So, if the hood is sitting too low as compared to the rest of the front, you'll want to adjust the two rubber stops that are up front by the washer bottle. Unscrew them to raise the hood height to where it needs to be. Mine used to come out of adjustment quite often, so I ended up putting a dab of glue to hold them in place at their threads, and this has held up great for many years.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There are 4 bump stops that can be adjusted to raise or lower the closed height of the hood. Two of them are on the sides of the engine bay near the front, and these are used mostly to adjust hood height against the fenders. The other two are right up front by the washer fluid bottle, and these are used mostly to adjust hood height against the front clip.

So, if the hood is sitting too low as compared to the rest of the front, you'll want to adjust the two rubber stops that are up front by the washer bottle. Unscrew them to raise the hood height to where it needs to be. Mine used to come out of adjustment quite often, so I ended up putting a dab of glue to hold them in place at their threads, and this has held up great for many years.

what he said
Old 03-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

thanks appreciate it
Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Once again a very informative post by RPM. I actually learned something too.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Teching In

I have run into this as well. Found that the latch itself had dropped a little.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As has been pointed out, it's the bumpstops.
Hey RPM, my front passenger one just broke, where might I purchase some new ones?
Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
As has been pointed out, it's the bumpstops.
Hey RPM, my front passenger one just broke, where might I purchase some new ones?
Thanks.
I have bought these from the GM dealer before. That was several years ago, I'm not sure if this item is still active, but that's where I would start.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have bought these from the GM dealer before. That was several years ago, I'm not sure if this item is still active, but that's where I would start.
Since i just bought a set myself, the plastic post part of the bump stops is still active, however the rubber stopper for the top is not.....

Keep your rubber stoppers from your old ones to put onto the new ones thats what we had to do...

Quick Reply: Hood not flush