General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Downshifting to lowest gear quick reference table

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting to lowest gear quick reference table

just converted my BMG Formula to M6 and i like to be able to take off but i also don't want to put engine over redline by mistake. the general way is to memorize i guess but since i had a chart up with my rpm vs mph with the lines on it for each gear i thought. i'd make a quick reference:
looks way better than this since i did in excel but i dont have pic hosted online so i cant put it up yet.

Downshifting to
Lowest Gear
(4.10 M6)

~130+ 6th
~93-130 5th
73-93 4th
53-73 3rd
35-53 2nd
0-35 1st

so i will print and have visible in car to have as a reference so i can memorize easier. these mph's were picked off gearing graph and i have to see if they're correct but the point is to set the highest mph at about 5k rpm since more than that you probably not gonna downshift to that gear. (everybody knows when to shift up -redline- so thats not what this is for this is for if ur cruising in 4th at 50 mph and want to take off and dont know whats lowest gear you can go without over reving it this would tell you 50mph you can go as low as 2nd gear safely.

another idea is you could (with some work) show this graphically on the speedo but i wouldnt do that.
also i didnt do gear swap yet (still 2.73s) so not sure how practical this chart is yet might need some tweeking like goin into 1st at 35 might just spin the tires so 2nd might be better.

Let me know what u guys think. and let me know who downshifts to lowest to take off!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Is this with 2.73s because it says 4:10 above your numbers
Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Teching In

those numbers are for 4.10 M6 with stock height tires. (again, they need to be checked in real life to make sure that you are in fact at 5k rpm at 35mph in 1st etc. i will have my 4.10s within a week and my 2.73 is slow so planning ahead.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

oh alright thats what i thought those 2.73s must suck now that your 6 speed 4:10s are awseome
Old 03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OP this is a good idea for sure. But I do think that traction may have an impact on this. I have 3.90's but they are really close to 4.10's and at 50mph I would not go to second if I was coming from 5th and immediately going WOT. If you were racing and would be given some time till WOT then yes I would do that. This same illustration applies going into third say at 60 and so on...

This is a good idea but it may be specific to your car only. I mean between your specific car and anyother F-body with 4.10's there are way to many variables for this to be a end all be all "bible" as to what gear to go into for best acceleration. Tires, mods, hp levels, road temp. blah blah blah all things that will affect traction for that car at the specific moment. Just some of the concerns. Keep up the good work OP!!!