General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Tick Performance Master Cylinder Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tick Performance Master Cylinder Issue

I have a call/email into Tick, but it's the weekend so I figured I would spark a discussion here.

Have a Tick Master, Tick Speed Bleeder, LS7 Clutch, New Throwout, Stage 2 Tick T56, etc. Everything was redone 20k ago.

Anyways, went to do a quick speed bleed, and I have no pedal. I have bled through over 40 oz of brake fluid and nothing. Still a half clutch pedal. I'm starting to think the master cylinder is going bad already, or I got a dud. Just curious if anyone has any ideas or similar issues. I LOVE the master cylinder/clutch feel. So it has been absolutely perfect until last night.

I also tried to submerge the speed bleeder just in case it was taking air, but I believe I have the new style that doesn't need submerged. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well new information has surfaced. I found that the black rubber boot that is under the dash was covered in fluid and when I pressed it a little, fluid oozes out of it. I am guessing the "Plunger" in the master cylinder is having fluid blow by and it is leaking into my car. Hopefully my good friends at Tick will be around soon to discuss this issue. First issue I've had with any Tick part too, bummer!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you cylinder is leaking around the dust boot, just send it back to us and we'll replace it. The bore of the cylinder is aluminum so likely it has a bit of wear or a scratch on the bore resulting in fluid bypassing the seal.

We do see this from time to time, but most of our local customers are still running the same cylinders we installed 2 or 3 years ago. Be sure that the master is bolted up squarely to the firewall and its tight. If there is excessive angle of the rod as it enters the masters body it will contribute to this premature wear. If your car is an f-body, make sure that the studs that mount the cylinder to the bracket aren't protruding past the mounting surface that meets the firewall. One of the guys here put a few kits together like that before we caught it....but that was probably after you installed yours if you even have an f-body.

All you need to send back is the cylinder itself. No need to send the line or bracket back. Just be sure to wash out the old fluid from the line and be sure to re-bleed / flush the entire system to remove any contaminated fluid from the slave as well. Include a note with the cylinder and we'll get it taken care of.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ That's customer service. Good luck OP and keep us updated. I have one of these Tick MC's too and like it so far. Lets hope it lasts.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Jonathan, I'll give you guys a call tomorrow to confirm address and such. I appreciate the weekend response and like everyone else who has a Tick Cylinder, I love it and am very surprised by this. I'm assuming I got the one random bad one. Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Master Cylinder has been removed...

It wasn't about as difficult as I remember from putting it on, not super hard but not fun. I talked with Tick and they said it's like 1 out of 100 that fail, so I think that isn't too bad. Honestly hoping everything goes ok with the shipping, going to have to insure that package for sure!

I will post an update when I hear more. Thanks for the feedback and help especially from Tick.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aerojt
I'm assuming I got the one random bad one. Thanks again.
Lets hope so!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

I am on my 3rd tick myself I hope this one last longer than a year. Both of them started to get some play in them then I noticed the leak. They looked at mine and said there was no cylinder damage. And no explination why it went bad. My guess is the seal is wearing out due to use. Maybe some more r&r on the seal might help. They did honor them and come threw with a free replacement. It sucks changing these on vettes especially when you 6'2 and 220 llbs laying upside down in the seat.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's crazy you're on your third! I hope I don't have that problem. My car is just daily driven and not really pounded on the track or stuff like that. I hope this next one holds up.... I guess it will arrive there today according to the tracking #.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah mine is my daily also thats why I figured It just wore the seal out. My car was down a week and it was cold as hell I had to ride the bike. I hoped I never had to change it again the first time but 3 times now that sucks bad. I hope the 3rd time is the charm
Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got the new unit, installed it and everything seems to be going well after the drive to work today. I'm surprised though, this time bleeding the air out was not as easy. Took much longer than it did when I originally put my first mc in.

I might still have air in the system too.... I might try one more bleeding when I get home.

Quick Reply: Tick Performance Master Cylinder Issue