General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just got a delphi 85mm for my 02 z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a delphi 85mm for my 02 z28

Going to purchase the casper harness. Do I plug the iat sensor into the new harness and let it hang outside of the housing? There is no place for it to go. Other threads said you remove it from the lid. I figure I remove it, plug the lid, plug it in and zip tie it off?

25168491 part number
3 screw holes

Going to leave the scrunchy plastic conector on there to keep it easy, and probably get a rubber hose conncector for front side to go over the lip and on the outside of the lid. I have an slp lid if it matters.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of power are you making right now? Unless you're in the 450+ range you stand to make next to nothing power wise with the 85mm maf. You're also going to need a tune....

Need more information.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not following you.

You buy a harness that plugs into the 85mm MAF and has split to accept the stock MAF plug and the stock IAT plug. You plug whatever hole the IAT sensor was in since you no longer need the IAT sensor.

You tune the car for the 85mm MAF.

Do not hold your breathe for any gains.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I'm not following you.

You buy a harness that plugs into the 85mm MAF and has split to accept the stock MAF plug and the stock IAT plug. You plug whatever hole the IAT sensor was in since you no longer need the IAT sensor.

You tune the car for the 85mm MAF.

Do not hold your breathe for any gains.
^^^ What he said, the IAT is no longer used or plugged in. The connector that once plugged into the IAT now plugs into the connector on that casper harness. This lets the IAT be read from the MAF instead of the IAT sensor.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

You guys answered all my questions! I did by the connector from summit (casper). Waiting on it to arrive. I plant to make 400 plus na an im getting my new combo tuned next week.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

please tell me more about the 85mm will my stock slp lid fit ? i'm not trying to jack your thread but you young guys teach me alot . is that the gm part #? how much may i ask? i'm getting ready to install 36lb injectors and am close to pulling 415 rwhp will this help it breath better in turn give it a little push in hp like 1or 2 hp? this **** reminds me when we used to build harleys it never stops! but there ain't nothing wrong with that! thanks ahead guys. the oldman......
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

I was running the 85 mm Delphi maf with my slp air lid with no problem. It was connected with a silicone coupler which may come with the lid. I'm not sure as this setup was on my car when I purchased it.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have an slp lid. The outter metal lip on the stock maf fits inside. Pretty sure this metal lip is a larger OD than the OD of the slp lid. I'll know on Friday when I get some time to mess with it. I know the metal part of the stock maf with the lip inside the lid would not come off the lid. When i switched stock mafs I had to swap center sections.

Probably run a coupler over the maf and over the lid and secure it with two worm clams. If I don't have any more couplers I will try to clamp the scrunchy connector on the back.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:58 AM
TECH Regular

see i have grey moments sometimes ,of course the coupling duh. is this just a better unit besides being bigger ? a more precision tune? i went thru mid am corvette and bought a screen eliminator kit,and currently run this but i keep throwing a po430 code and am wondering if maf is going bad so while i'm at it with the injector swap add anew maf?? hte car was tuned with the descreen. this p0430 code is hapening with more frequency and i just keep clearing it just put new o2 sensor in the mix still throwing codes thats why the intrest in the maf ... the oldman.........
Old 05-23-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im gettin my hc combo tuned. Still had the stock maf, tb, and intake. I had a nitrous backfire and my stock maf was bad. Just buying this for down the road expansion. No maf is too big anyways.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

"no maf is too big" I'd have to disagree with this. For example: using a 102mm MAF on a stock engine would result in low intake velocity thus making the MAF readings inaccurate and difficult to tune, thus losing power. Do a search, people who put larger MAF's (especially aftermarket one's) on engines that dont pull enough intake velocity have tuning problems. Removing the screen has been known to create problems at low-rpm also because the screen is there to smooth out the airflow.

That being said, you should be fine with that delphi 85mm on your engine.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Why does it make a logged readin innacurate?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

the photo of the 85mm has no screen what about the airflow pattern? is it straight? flattusmaximus what is the casper part # for that pigtail you're getting if so kind to let me know. i 'll get my engine tweeked and then listen to my rearend whine it's getting so loud that my ac/dc can't cover the noise, sounds like a turbo spooling up i think it's gonna leave me along the highway soon.anyway i have a stock ls6 with arh headers and gmmg cat back . i would have enough of an engine for the 85mm to be of benefit? the oldman.........
Old 05-24-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

First off... ACDC ftw. Seen them 3 times. Best band ever and current. CAS108100 is the part number I beleive. I doubt it will add power if that is what you are looking for. In the ford world a huge maf never messed with the ability to tune my car. I just needed a new maf and I fiugred this would be good for down the road. I don't see any real negatives.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

i saw them twice oakland 78' days on the green with aerosmith and ted nugent thats when bon scott was alive ,then in80' in nueremburg with bryan johnson the back in black tour.i'll give the 85mm a shot like you say it is there to build on with my 36lb injectors it should keep me close to 80% duty cycle that should also be room to grow with a cam. i still have my original ls1 with 70k on it that when the economy picks up i want to make a square motor i think it's a 388ci .. the oldman.........
Old 05-25-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would do bad things to see Bon Scott between Powerage and Highway to hell. Same goes for Brian on the back in black tour!

Either way. The 85mm fit on the stock coupler from the maf to the tb. I put a 4x4" coupler on the lid to the maf and used two slightly larger tbolt clamps to tighten it all done. The coupler covers up the hole from the iat.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

flattusmaximus78, where did you get coupling and 't'clamps rather limited around here,also that is a delphi part#? and the casper a summit #?? thanks a picture is worth a thousand words. i should take the time to learn to post pics. oh by the way i also saw led zep in 80' twice in 8 days on one ticket once in nuremberg and once in munich awsome!! had a 100lb german chic on my shoulders! "it's better to be old and cool than to be old and uncool!" the oldman.........
'
Old 05-26-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
flattusmaximus78, where did you get coupling and 't'clamps rather limited around here,also that is a delphi part#? and the casper a summit #?? thanks a picture is worth a thousand words. i should take the time to learn to post pics. oh by the way i also saw led zep in 80' twice in 8 days on one ticket once in nuremberg and once in munich awsome!! had a 100lb german chic on my shoulders! "it's better to be old and cool than to be old and uncool!" the oldman.........
'
That was the part number from my maf. If you type in ls1 casper harness on google the harness will show up with a link too summit. Shipped in 2 days. Only negative was you have to ziptie the wires up. They are longgggg!

The coupler was from my job and so were the tbolt clamps. They just happen to be a perfect fit lol. A 4 inch by 4 inch. Sounds like to you didn't miss any shows dude haha.

Car fires right up afterwards. Not driving it since it's a h/c car and I installed fresh plugs after, don't want to follow them out.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Foul*
Old 05-29-2012, 05:47 AM
TECH Regular

explain:foul*???

Quick Reply: Just got a delphi 85mm for my 02 z28