General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

It's either a labor of love or a drug free habit, at least with me. My 69 is suposed to be one of the most sought after cars. I got 36k for it two years ago which was much less than I put into it. Lol. The t/a was 7500 w/ 97k (now has 105). To me that is almost free.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL.. Who cares about what "you think" someone's stuff is worth. When the shoe is on the other foot your the guy you're talking **** about. Everyone what's the most they can get for what they own, realistic or not, that's reality. You don't have to like it.

If I wanted a million dollars for my beat up wooden panel wagon by god I'll list if for $1million cash and laugh at anything less. But I'm balling enough I can do that.

What's truly annoying is people whining when they can't get something for nothing. Your entitled to nothing, other then your god given rights. If you don't agree get in line with all the 0bama fan's.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith564
LOL.. Who cares about what "you think" someone's stuff is worth. When the shoe is on the other foot your the guy you're talking **** about. Everyone what's the most they can get for what they own, realistic or not, that's reality. You don't have to like it.

If I wanted a million dollars for my beat up wooden panel wagon by god I'll list if for $1million cash and laugh at anything less. But I'm balling enough I can do that.

What's truly annoying is people whining when they can't get something for nothing. Your entitled to nothing, other then your god given rights. If you don't agree get in line with all the 0bama fan's.
Quoted for the truth!
Old 12-09-2013, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
Quoted for the truth!
x2 on the above
Old 12-09-2013, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
That's why mines will end up a race car haha.
agreed. why sell it for a loss once u own it. keep building and/or make it a fun race/beat the **** out of toy/stress reliever. i
Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Default Crossroads

I am at a crossroads, whether to keep building or sell? I have a 2002 Z28, heads, cam, rear-end, 6-spd, etc. and 98k mi. I would like to sell for a fair price. It is not happening out East. So, my next option is to punch out a LS2 to a 454. Cost is about $15k. I would like to buy a late model Vette. I don't drive that hard and do more waxing.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by spordee1
I am at a crossroads, whether to keep building or sell? I have a 2002 Z28, heads, cam, rear-end, 6-spd, etc. and 98k mi. I would like to sell for a fair price. It is not happening out East. So, my next option is to punch out a LS2 to a 454. Cost is about $15k. I would like to buy a late model Vette. I don't drive that hard and do more waxing.
i must say your posts give me a headache lol.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jsmith564
While thats fair enough, you cant get mad at people laughing at how insane your price is.

Ive bought and sold many cars over the last few years. Theres looney people that think their car is a goldmine, and then theres people that have called me with such a lowball offer I just hung up the phone.

For instance, I recently sold my 2007 Charger Daytona to carmax for $16k. My asking price was $17k. One of the local scumbag buy here pay here dealers called me and offered me $10k. I literally hung up on him.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by vwdave
While thats fair enough, you cant get mad at people laughing at how insane your price is.
I agree, and I can see both sides of this. Nobody should ever berate a seller for asking "too much", nor get upset if he refuses to lower his price just because the buyer thinks he should. However, if you are asking a price that is well outside of the general market value for a car, I think it's silly to call people "low ballers" when they make an offer (albeit much lower) that is still consistant with other similar examples currently on the market. They are likely a serious buyer who might be hoping that you'll save their info incase you ever come down to a more realistic price. To me, that's not low balling.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Latch
If you think F-body prices are bad, look at what people want for a 240 these days... yikes!
or supras idc how good they are to mod the fact is they are older than an LS1 fbody and i sure as hell wouldnt pay more for a supra than a ls1 fbody
Old 12-12-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree, and I can see both sides of this. Nobody should ever berate a seller for asking "too much", nor get upset if he refuses to lower his price just because the buyer thinks he should. However, if you are asking a price that is well outside of the general market value for a car, I think it's silly to call people "low ballers" when they make an offer (albeit much lower) that is still consistant with other similar examples currently on the market. They are likely a serious buyer who might be hoping that you'll save their info incase you ever come down to a more realistic price. To me, that's not low balling.
That is low balling. Just because the market is soft does not mean the car is worth less. It means people are hurting and will make the sacrifice and sell for less. I don't see wore out cars priced high. I see markedly nicer cars priced higher than the fair stuff.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought my 2000 SS vert for $10k with 54,xxx in July 12' and its in really good shape.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

C5 Corvettes are worse. I stopped looking just because every ad reads basically like this:

2000 Corvette show car, rare targa top, 115k miles, auto trans, loaded with options, rare car 1 of 300 with these options, must sell. $26,000 firm.

*insert washed out pic of base model C5 with stock wheels and some tire shine*
*insert under hood pic of dirty stock engine (maybe a K&N sticker or 2)*
Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
That is low balling. Just because the market is soft does not mean the car is worth less. It means people are hurting and will make the sacrifice and sell for less. I don't see wore out cars priced high. I see markedly nicer cars priced higher than the fair stuff.
I wasn't suggesting that a show quality example should receive offers that would be "fair" for an average/rough condition example; "similar examples" was the key point. I recently saw a post where someone had listed an ultra low mileage '02 SS for $71k on ebay. Here is a link:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...g-up-alot.html

In that example, you could offer 10s of thousands of dollars less than the asking price and still be making a fair offer. Other comparable examples have sold for between $20-30k depending on details. The seller certainly has the right to say "no", but when you list a car at a price THAT far outside of reality, even serious buyers will make offers much lower than your asking price. To me, "low balling" implies that you're trying to get something for much less than it's worth or is fair, based on the hope that someone is desparate to sell.

If you offered $40k for that SS, would you think it fair to be called a "low baller"? That's over 40% lower than the asking price, but still well above what it's worth.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Banned

the ls1 fbodies around me are going anywhere from 5K to 15k just depends you gotta keep looking and be willing to drive.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I started driving my 00 Ws-6 and I'm the 2nd owner. The car has 88k Super Clean! Fun to Drive got some things that has helped the driving feel.In all honesty If I were to sell it I'd ask for no less then 11.5k. Why? cuz you CAN'T get a car that looks as Bad ******* *** with this kinda a power for any less. I mean you can try but just name me some...? I do have to admit the fact that I've driven it for 25k miles and have had no issues but a sensor and oxygen sensor tells me WHY! THE **** SHOULD I SELL THIS CAR FOR 8K? I'd have to be stupid to sell my 6-Speed Ws-6 for 8K.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Teching In

There is obviously a segment of the market that is willing to overpay for these cars. I happen to be one of them, I bought my 2001 with 48K for $13,500. I knew I wasn't getting a good deal on it, and that the price was inflated a bit. But, at the time, I wanted the car more than just about anything, so I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger, even knowing I was probably paying more than the car was worth. If there was no precedence set for people overpaying, a lot less people would price their car higher than what it's worth.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Guys these are all valid, ok mostly valid , points. The opinion of THIS newbie is that these cars are, for a lot of the members, NOT necessities. I know I may get some disagreement, but a LS1, 300+HP, sports/muscle car goes way beyond the utilitarian need for transportation. These are not comodities, they are luxuries, pricing is based on what the buyer at the time of the transaction is willing to pay, and what the seller is willing to accept, period. Basic economics, supply, demand, determines price. (Most of the time, lets not get started on financial market manipulation conspiracy theory)

I did all of the KBB, Edmunds, Hagerty, Craigslist, Autotrader, etc research before I bought my Z28. The pricing was all over the place. I researched and was patient. I looked for a motivated seller. They exist, I found one made my offer and was able to close the deal.

I paid less than $5k for a car with 92k on the clock. At the time it was what I was willing to pay, and it sounds like a good deal based on this discussion. It had been neglected by the PO, needed some minor body TLC, but had a strong LS1, smooth shifting trans and rearend. After cleaning the s**t out of it, and doing a few mods I have a DD that is a blast to drive and more than a lot of fun to work on. Mission accomplished, well still underway...

I operate under the opinion that any luxury item (most things in life beyond food, shelter, safety, and personal freedom are luxuries) is worth what someone in willing to pay for it or accept for it at the time of the sale. I was the OP who found the SS listed for $71k. I found it amusing at the time and was happy to share and get some comments.

Great discussion, my $.02, thanks for letting me play
Old 12-14-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

The best deal is when both parties walk away thinking they got the better half of the deal
Old 12-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by macattack0821
There is obviously a segment of the market that is willing to overpay for these cars. I happen to be one of them, I bought my 2001 with 48K for $13,500. I knew I wasn't getting a good deal on it, and that the price was inflated a bit. But, at the time, I wanted the car more than just about anything, so I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger, even knowing I was probably paying more than the car was worth. If there was no precedence set for people overpaying, a lot less people would price their car higher than what it's worth.
You didn't overpay at all. If you think that's alot sell it for 7.5k so someone else can get a good deal,since I'm assuming you think your 2001 ain't that great of a car.

Quick Reply: Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?