General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I would never buy a car off of Craigslist...and like the guys have posted above after what I dumped into this thing in the last few months shes not going anywhere.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has the value of these cars fell off the map? yes ,the market will tell them whats it worth,me personally i would never sell my car dirt cheap,you guys can give your stuff away lol, thats why i wont sell mine ,99% of the time youcould never replace it for what you would sell it for, i will say i have seen some pretty crazy prices but its not my place to go around being the dick to tell them there asking to much, we can just hope the market comes up in the next few years, i think it will, but for now why compkain about a few odd ***** asking to much when there are so many killer cars going for so lil, i mean right now there are 3 gmhtp feature cars for sale starting at 11grand,one at 18,and another at 22, very killer rides for the money , very few modded f bods bring in big bucks but there have been some, bottom line with a market like this there is no point bashing higher priced cars,hung over rant ended lol
Old 11-28-2013, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

That's why mines will end up a race car haha.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
I would never buy a car off of Craigslist....
Why not? Just curious because that's where I found mine and it is a jewel......at a reasonable price.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I really don't see what there is to complain about. I see prices that are totally out of control from time to time as well, but I don't even bother contacting those people. If their price really IS too high, then nobody else will contact them either, or the offers that they DO get will be well below what they are asking. At which point they will either have to drop the price to something in line with reality, or they'll just have to keep the car.

It doesn't bother me either way though. An overpriced car won't get sold, and a fairly priced one will, and this is true for any sort of car on the market. All you can do is look for an example that suits you, with a seller that's willing to meet a price point that you can live with. If your budget doesn't allow you to find what you're looking for, then perhaps your value estimation is too low and YOU will be the one that needs to revise upward.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Teching In

My old man always told me that a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

What is a clean, well maintained, low mileage 4th gen car worth?

Some guys on here part out really nice cars because the parts are worth more. They won't even consider selling the car out right.

Where I live, there's a guy trying to sell his 4th gen SS with 63k privately for $9800. Nice car but has been on the market for pry 6 months now.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrL33
What is a clean, well maintained, low mileage 4th gen car worth?
I think that depends on one's subjective definitions of "clean" and "low mileage". Region also make a difference in value.

I see some people describe a car as "clean/mint/perfect/excellent" condition, and then I look at the pictures and realize that it's actually average or fair.

Some people consider anything under 100k to be "low mileage" for a 10+ year old car. I guess this is true, if you're going by industry average for a normal daily driver. But when it's more of a special interest type car, something that is often someone's weekend toy, and when you live in an area where weekend toys often get stored for the winter, 100k miles @10 years old isn't really what I would consider "low mileage" for the application.

And the older that a car gets, the more fuzzy the definition of "low mileage" becomes. If we stick with the industry standard, then a 40 year old car with 350,000 miles would still be "low mileage", but I don't think that any reasonable person would actually advertise one as such.

I think the fact that a lot of these things are subjective is the reason why there is such a big range in prices for different cars that may actually be pretty comparable to a given single buyer.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

This thread is the reason I would never sell my car. Won't ever be worth what I think it is, or the money I have invested.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Here in my country the dealerships only sold 98s, no others years were available thru dealeship ,thats why i own a 98 lol.the only 99 ss for sale has a 12,500 usd tag price, the owner claims 440hp with a lid, lm1 and 3.73 gears... In not so mint condition wtf,

oh and not a single firebird here btw , its crazy, we have not too many options when picking an f body so we have to pay good money for an unmolested one
Old 11-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Launching!

If I was in the states I paid out the *** for mine, but here I got a deal. like said, its what your willing to pay for what you want. I think I scored HUGE with mine... and paid 14.5K last October for mine tax in
Mine was one owner, 60K miles on "your clock", 68 years old was its' owner when he passed, and I swear the car was as if it was kept in a bubble. I would have easily paid 20K to own this car, but I'm a fanatic owner to say the least. Every time I drive it I get nothing but nods and big thumbs up, and better yet, I get to drive it! Dam, I love this car... and do I like vettes?.. hell yes. Would I trade my WS6 for one of the same year and mileage?... no bloody way.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This thread is the reason I would never sell my car. Won't ever be worth what I think it is, or the money I have invested.

I agree
Old 11-29-2013, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That and you always find the old guy that thinks his 1 out of blah blah meaningless BS is going to be worth crazy $$$$$ someday. I don't kid myself into thinking these cars will ever be worth anything. Dick Harrel cars aside, I saw a MINT! 2002 SS with 150 miles on it go for 20k on Barret Jackson. Not the best example I know but you get the point.

Around here when I was looking for my car I thought every single one I came across was stupid over priced, when I came across my current car I jumped on it because compared to what everyone else was asking it was cheap, however, compared to the national and NADA it is a little on the high side.

I guess it just comes and goes, when the markets are dry the prices go up.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

I got my '02 SS 345HP package about 3 years ago with 37K on the clock for ~15k. It had clearly been garage kept up to that point.

Even with performance potential in mind, I think I'll always be more inclined to pay big bucks for something relatively unused/ideally more reliable than just for potential alone; I want to be able to DD the car, if it was ever possible for said car to reliably do DD duty.

A lot of folks seem to forget though, too, that mileage alone doesn't dictate wear on EVERY part of the car...
Old 11-29-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your right, I've never been one to get hung up on mileage. I've seen cars that were in great shape with 100-150,000 miles on them and then see one with 60-70,000 and it look like someone had lived in the thing.

I think in the case of these cars as more and more young people by them, typical mileage is going to start being higher as well as the difficulty in finding a nice one. Seems like just a couple years ago I NEVER saw f-bodies now there are 4 just at my college that have young guys in them. GTO's too
Old 11-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default F Body Depreciation

F-Bodies that are stock can be figured by the year and depreciation. A 7.5" rear will last forever with stock tires. Add drag radials, horse it and it will fail. A Moser bullet-proof 9" rear with all of the suspension parts, torque arm, and driveshaft and you will invest another $4,000.00. A stereo system with amps, speakers, and tape deck is another $4,000.00.
Heads and cam with 102 Fast TB and 102 Fast intake is another $4,000.00. .
To get a tune is about $200.00, every time you have to drop the engine is another $1000.00. I have to travel 150 miles to get my car serviced.
Fuel delivery system from Lonnies is $2,000.00. NOS, Turbo, or Supercharger systems start at $6,000.00. Parts are worth far more than the car. I understand not wanting to pay more than $7,500.00 for a car.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Launching!

I like how 6speed put it there. If you are buying a car for "future value" you are in the wrong game. Sell it and buy stocks in Apple or something and let the car be owned by someone that will enjoy it!
Old 11-29-2013, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

there will always be people asking all the money and then some but if you keep your eyes peeled you will find great deals also. I will share a few I have gotten on 4th gen ls1 cars. A little background I have wheeled and dealed a few cars since the early 80's with a mix of 60's & 70's musclecars , daily drivers ,trucks etc...

before 4th gens started popping up resonably priced I was buying/selling/modding supercharged 3800 cars primarily, but once I started being able to buy decent ls1 f bodies in the 3-4 grand price range I have bought a total of 4 of them so far over the last 3 years.

about a month ago I bought a black t top 98 z a4 car bone stock other than a flowmaster muffler no winters mint undercairrage 131k miles loaded t top car with performance axle(323's) that has traction control, drivers seat , and paint issues on a couple panels for $2000 off craigs list. Thread with pics: https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...dded-pics.html

about 1.5 years ago I bought a 168k pewter a4 hardtop 99z here on ls1 tech with long tubes , ory , gmmg catback , slp lid & bellows, ported maf & tb for $3200 , ran it for about a year then resold it to the guy I bought it from again on here for $3000 but kept the mounted mt dr's and never installed SFC's that came with it. car has been sold on ls1 tech 4 times lol car has undercairrage rot issues but nice otherwise and still roadworthy. Thread with pics: https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-c...50-roller.html

a little over 2 years ago I bought a mystic teal 99z a4 1SZ t top car with 173k with unknown brand ram air sheet metal box to slp lid , bbk 80 mm tb , ls6 intake , Kooks stainless long tubes , ORY , Magnaflow stainless exhaust ,UMI weld in sfc's, rear arms and panhard , Qa1 shocks , built trans with vigilante 3600 stall , 373's bought it on here for $3200 with all listed mods took it to the track this fall and ran 12.1 @112 first time racing a rwd car in about 20 years and it had a couple ignition & traction issues I need to sort out before taking it back, its got top 11's in it. track pass thread : https://ls1tech.com/forums/12-second...ll-weight.html

3 years ago I bought my favorite - pewter 2000 hardtop M6 car , super clean in out and underneath , very well maintained , SLP lid , ls6 intake , QTP stainless long tubes , true duals dumped at the axle, open loop speed density tune , kirban shifter , raptor shift light hidden in hvac vent , Koni adjustable shocks , Strano springs , hotchkis panhard , killer stereo alpine deck and amps , CTD sub and speakers including tweeters and super mids , b4c rear pillar panels , many little touches that I didnt see until owning other f bodies , guage lighting has been upgraded ,subtle little pinhole led lights added in door panels to illuminate window switches. Paid $3800 with all listed equipment. car is in my sig pic.

Guy is an engineer and really took nice care of this car ( member here) bought off craigs list then found out later it was a member here that I had watched run this car at the track 3 passes 11.95/11.97/11.99 stock internals in original engine , original trans , original 342 10 bolt oh and it had 215k on it then and still original internals now with 239,000 on it!

Ok long winded I know but I am using personal 4th gen experience to drive home a few points...

1. miles mean very little in regards to overall condition its only a peice of the puzzle , again my favorite and reliable as a rock car has 239,000 on it only real issue is it wont shift at high rpm any more - likely due to previous owners ls7 clutch choice. I have owned many 200k+ GM cars of other platforms over the years ( mostly trucks & w bodies) also if your going to mod dont spend the $$ on a low mile car just spend more to build it up put all your new components in a higher miles sound car and you will be way ahead.

2. Sorry if someone else had a bad experience on craigs list but I love it ! probably bought 50 cars off it over the years , engines , parts , misc. sold lots of stuff too just make sure you know what your looking at especially vehicle titles - CYA and you will be fine like any deal anywhere including here.

3. Lots of good deals right here on LS1 tech also if your willing to travel a bit , some people need to move on ,free up cash , buy a house ,get married etc.. and will give a fair price , sometimes you need to wait for them to have a few deals fall apart before you can get a good deal.

4. dont be afraid of modded cars just ask enough educated questions and look at critical things to CYA like fluid levels & condition , check engine lights , who did work , how does it cold start ,idle ,street manners ,etc.. if the cars mods are worth more than your paying for the car you cant lose !

5. dont get hung up on built not bought check your ego at the door , I have built cars in the past but prefer to buy them now let someone else spend the money, you will spend enough as things come up or you take what they did and mod further...

6. watch out for accident damage especially check underside of the 4 corners of the front & rear subframes and rocker/floorboard seam , while under there look for rot issues even if your not in the rust belt these cars can migrate from the rust belt to the sunbelt , brake lines in the rear , rear subframe where it heads up over the rear end , seam at rear floor board seem to be the first things to show rust from what I have seen in my limited 4th gen exp.

Last edited by murphinator; 11-29-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hard up people who have chosen to sell their cars at a lower price than they should have, are the some people think all 4th gens should be given away. Just because some dude paid for 2 years on his 4th gen, got a DUI, knocked up his G/F, and lost his job because he is too lazy to get up from his game console to go to work, decided he better sell fast to get rid of that dang payment and sold it to some low balling douche, does not mean you should set the market by that selling price.
(That is a horrible run-on sentence.)
Also if someone does have some add ons, like anything that is expensive, wheels, killer motor, stereo, whatever, and that's what drew you to that car but you think it's not worth any more money because of the add ons? You are a low balling douche. Time to get up and go to work not get pissed because you can't afford the extras.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Bought mine off Craigs list back in 2009 when it had 23000 on it all stock for $12000. Never had one single issue with the car.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my car off of a very vague Craigslist ad from the original owner. He was not a computer guy, could not get pictures to load and had maybe 5 lines of sparsely typed description. I called the number and owned the car that afternoon for half of what he paid for it new in 2000 and it had just shy of 600 original miles on it by the time I got home.
I see people trying to sell 4th gen cars with less than 1000 miles on them and asking $30K+ for them. These cars are just not worth that yet...

Quick Reply: Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?