General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
While surprising, I thought about it a bit and wonder if those didn't go so high just because they were wanted strictly for a show car which wasn't missing anything else. It seems unreasonable to pay so much for any other type of car and apparently there are a couple people who were in need. Again, surprising to see.
Somebody might have a "0" mile unit in a hyperbaric chamber buried a mile underground but the dealer never gave them their floormats. CETA owners can be that way sometimes...
Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

^^^ That's along the lines I was thinking... Nothin' against 'em.... just... WOW! What a way to blow about a grand.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
While surprising, I thought about it a bit and wonder if those didn't go so high just because they were wanted strictly for a show car which wasn't missing anything else. It seems unreasonable to pay so much for any other type of car and apparently there are a couple people who were in need. Again, surprising to see.
It might not actually be for use in any particular car at this moment, but the owner of a show quality CETA might simply be stocking up on CE specific parts that will one day be impossible to find.

This is the sort of thing that many collectors do. I've done this myself with certain 4th gen parts before they were discontinued by GM, perhaps this individual wasn't able or interested in stocking up on parts when they could still be had at MSRP.

$775 does seem like a lot for floor mats, but as I mentioned earlier the price structure for top tier collector items (be it parts or entire cars) is often well beyond what people not interested/not in the market would find to be reasonable. Collectors don't really care if it's "a lot", so long as they can afford it and it's the "cheapest" and/or only one available.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just for kicks i was shopping autotrader today, found alot of decent deals, on ls1 camaros and some on vettes. but when i looked at firebirds i was blown away. most ls1 t/a's were reasonable enough, but my god, i counted 20 firebirds from 1982-1992 for 9-11k. some with high miles and in decent shape, an 82 firebird for 10k??? wtf i understand yes they are extinct but come on.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Right.... years ago a friend of mine picked up and old WS6, like an 84/5, whichever the 1st yr was... anyway, he overpaid imo even though he only gave 1500... but it was an Ohio rust bucket.

That said, there are probably more "significant" 3rd gen versions or at least "special" in some way, things than 4th. Like the 2.5L 4cyl engine... 3rd gen only... It was several things no other F-body was before or again. Is it worth more? Like everything, it depends on the buyer of that particular car.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best friend bought a 88 Formula L98 for I think $1300? Ran home with the AC on.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Teching In

So here is the one I am seriously considering:
2002 Black WS6 - 6 Speed manual
pretty much bone stock
This is what I know (from seller):
Seller is the third owner.
No tears, rips, cracks in the dash, interior, seats etc.
No leaks in T-tops or hatch.
120,000 miles.
Never been wrecked.
Is currently in NC, has never been subjected to salt or other road chemicals (garage kept)
He claims 29MPG/Highway 23MPG/in town
Asking price $9800 (I am going to start my offer about $8000)
What is your opinion??

I have never tried posting pics or videos but I am going to try. Does anyone know what the "whine" is? (in the video)

Photos
Old 02-17-2014, 07:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Nothing about the above example would be worth $9800 to me. I'd be willing to pay more than most for the "right" car, but with 3 owners and 120k miles, it wouldn't be the "right" car for me even at a lower price. Then again, I also wouldn't want black or an M6, so I'm not even in the market for such a car to begin with.

If that's the best price you've been able to find for one that has the exact options and condition you want, then it's probably worth considering. You'd have to inspect it in person to really know what issues it has and whether or not it's worth buying.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TickdCarolinaGirl
So here is the one I am seriously considering:
2002 Black WS6 - 6 Speed manual
pretty much bone stock
This is what I know (from seller):
Seller is the third owner.
No tears, rips, cracks in the dash, interior, seats etc.
No leaks in T-tops or hatch.
120,000 miles.
Never been wrecked.
Is currently in NC, has never been subjected to salt or other road chemicals (garage kept)
He claims 29MPG/Highway 23MPG/in town
Asking price $9800 (I am going to start my offer about $8000)
What is your opinion??

I have never tried posting pics or videos but I am going to try. Does anyone know what the "whine" is? (in the video)
http://youtu.be/00L-1Y8qS6Y

Photos

Way to much money, keep looking there are some nice cars out there for $10K
Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Question Thanks

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Nothing about the above example would be worth $9800 to me. I'd be willing to pay more than most for the "right" car, but with 3 owners and 120k miles, it wouldn't be the "right" car for me even at a lower price. Then again, I also wouldn't want black or an M6, so I'm not even in the market for such a car to begin with.

If that's the best price you've been able to find for one that has the exact options and condition you want, then it's probably worth considering. You'd have to inspect it in person to really know what issues it has and whether or not it's worth buying.
Thank you for the response, my question is, why does "3 owners" turn you off and what is it about the above example isn't worth it?
Thanks!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Hardbones....Even for 8K?? I can't find anything for less than $10K around here (I'm in SC). Where would you start the offer?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the car is everything the guy says it is, which is usually hard to find on a 120K car AND there is a ton of maintenance records that come with the car then $7500-8K would be about right. Its just a 120K mile car though, you could buy it this week and it could throw a rod, drop a gear in the trans or smoke the rear end gear next week.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

I'm with them. Better examples are likely available at the price.

3 owners turns me off because after the 2nd owner, reality sometimes gets lost and you may not at all be able to verify the facts, like no crashes or actual mileage or engine/transmission damage, a blown rear, whatever. You couldn't even tell if the interior had been replaced if it were done well and who would tell you if they didn't know? Then you'd have to bring a pro with you to search for issues and it gets hairy as to what's found and who agrees, etc.

In other words, too many variables.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a question, some of you ( if not all ) are looking for that low milage, 1 owner, and no modds and a real good price. What are you going to do with the car ? collect it, stick it in a climate controlled garage and watch your kids get old or what. I'm not being a ******* or anything, but I just really would like to know
Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M.BOZZ
Here is a question, some of you ( if not all ) are looking for that low milage, 1 owner, and no modds and a real good price. What are you going to do with the car ? collect it, stick it in a climate controlled garage and watch your kids get old or what. I'm not being a ******* or anything, but I just really would like to know
I bought mine to enjoy, couldn't pass up the price I paid for a 2000 WS6 one owner, fully documented less than 600 mile car. I changed the exhaust, and the other stuff in my sig. I put 1300 miles on it in 6 months and now I have a set of Forgestar CF5 wheels on order, Strano springs and Bilstein struts sitting on garage floor waiting to be installed. Strano sways are next.
Like I said before, I bought a car I couldn't afford 14 years ago for 1/2 of what it costs new and its still basically a new car. I am gonna enjoy it, drive the heck out of it. If I put 2000 miles a year on whats it worth in 10 years with 20K miles? I dont care!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

If you think 10k is good for that one... Maybe 12.5k would be for this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-Z-28-Z-28-Z-28-SS-SLP-2001-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-SS-SLP-345RWHP-Convertible-2-/131116939363?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e872db863&item=131116939363&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
To me, it wouldn't either way... The one above shows 5 owners even though the add claims this owner is a private seller... looks a tad fishy.

I'd have more interest in this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Firebird-ws6-2002-Pontiac-Firebird-Trans-Am-Coupe-2-Door-5-7L-/141195861256?forcerrptr=true&hash=item20dfeddd08&item=141195861256&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
or can you drive awhile?? If so, you may find interest in one like this.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Trans-Am-Trans-Am-Coupe-T-Tops-2001-Pontiac-Firebird-Trans-Am-5-7L-V8-Auto-1-Owner-Low-/380840140701?forcerrptr=true&hash=item58abd75f9d&item=380840140701&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
It's more than the one you showed, but doesn't it look better? I couldn't tell what the other one looks like, but I can sure see this one and it's nice. Just over 1/2 the mileage too, for a couple grand more... and 1 owner, not 3-5...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by M.BOZZ
I'd particularly prefer a 1 owner with low miles, even though I'd rack'em up myself. The whole point though, is to find the best deal based on where, cost and mileage... for me. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Banned

Keep looking hell search around in neighboring states i know for sure you will find one and good luck on the searches
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Exclamation Truth is....

Here's the deal, I am going to make a long story short here. I have a disease that is really beginning to take it's toll on me, I am losing my memory, my motor skills, MY LIFE and the sad part is, had I known I had it years ago, I could have gotten treatment and I would be ok now. This car isn't just about having a new toy, she is going to be turned into a "rolling billboard" if you will, so that people will have no choice but to see the awareness ribbon (and other info) on the back. Yes, I will be adding mods, Yes, I will be taking her to the drag strip and Hell yes, I can't wait. The biggest point of it all is to raise awareness for all of the people that have this AWFUL disease and don't even know it because they are being lied to and misdiagnosed so the big pharmaceutical companies can line their pockets! *RANT OVER* With that being said, she isn't going to just sit in my garage only to be driven on Sunday and be shown off to my grand kids one day. I have owned 3 F-body's in the past and as for a hobby, they are my passion. I don't have a lot of money and I will eventually have to start looking for sponsors, but in the mean time, I have to get moving on something before I LITERALLY can't turn a wrench or even walk! So, if anyone knows of where I can find a 1998-2002 BLACK or WHITE WS6 somewhere near SOUTH CAROLINA, In great physical condition, decent miles and less than $10,000 PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Also, if you are interested in becoming a sponsor, let me know that as well. THANK YOU!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Godspeed to you CarolinaGirl. I wish you all the best with your mission to raise awareness and hope you find the perfect 4th gen that helps as much as possible

Quick Reply: Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?