General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Godspeed to you CarolinaGirl. I wish you all the best with your mission to raise awareness and hope you find the perfect 4th gen that helps as much as possible
Thank you dear! That means a lot!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by TickdCarolinaGirl
Thank you for the response, my question is, why does "3 owners" turn you off and what is it about the above example isn't worth it?
Thanks!
I'd rather pay more for one with half as many miles and in even better condition; or if that is not an option, then I would look for a different trim level where I could get lower miles/better condition for the same or less money. A car is more than just the drivetrain - lots of other items to wear out even if the engine/trans is still solid. Higher mileage cars usually have issues with those supporting areas, even if the major stuff was well maintained. I'd rather pay more up front for a car that won't need as much quite as soon.

As for the number of owners, this is a good explanation:

Originally Posted by It'llrun
3 owners turns me off because after the 2nd owner, reality sometimes gets lost and you may not at all be able to verify the facts, like no crashes or actual mileage or engine/transmission damage, a blown rear, whatever. You couldn't even tell if the interior had been replaced if it were done well and who would tell you if they didn't know? Then you'd have to bring a pro with you to search for issues and it gets hairy as to what's found and who agrees, etc.

In other words, too many variables.

That is certainly a primary factor. I've also found that if a car has had the same owner for a very long time, they must've really liked the car and probably took better care of it.

Originally Posted by M.BOZZ
Here is a question, some of you ( if not all ) are looking for that low milage, 1 owner, and no modds and a real good price.
It doesn't have to be a "real good price" for me, just fair as compared to other similar examples. If it's not, then I'll just go look at the other similar examples. If it's slightly overpriced (by my definition), but is exactly what I want, I would certainly consider paying the premium so long as it's within my budget at the time.

What are you going to do with the car ? collect it, stick it in a climate controlled garage and watch your kids get old or what. I'm not being a ******* or anything, but I just really would like to know
In 2004 I was looking for another show quality 4th gen. That's when I bought my current '98 Z28; it had 11,800 miles, original owner with full documentation, completely stock, climate controlled garage, no exposure to rain/snow, etc. It was optioned exactly how I wanted. With a proper show level detailing, I knew it would be a solid #2 or #2+ car, and that was exactly my intention for it; limited perfect weather usage, local car show circuit, cruise nights, etc. I wasn't looking for another race car, nor a daily driver, so I wasn't interested in settling for something in average condition.

Even back in 2004, it was hard to find a used one that met my goals....it took 4 months in fact. I had just sold my modified street/strip WS6 that I had bought new, and kept as close to new condition as possible, so I was pretty picky about finding something comparably nice, but I wanted to get back into a Camaro (not the popular choice around here, but I've never been worried about doing what's popular).

A couple years later I decided to pick up another one with higher mileage to use as a daily driver, since I very much enjoy driving these cars but didn't want to put the wear and tear on the garage queen.

It's all just a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-18-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 AM
Staging Lane

Default Buy

It is worth $8500.00. Can you afford it. There may be engine trouble within 10k mi.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the deal, I am going to make a long story short here. I have a disease that is really beginning to take it's toll on me, I am losing my memory, my motor skills, MY LIFE and the sad part is, had I known I had it years ago, I could have gotten treatment and I would be ok now. This car isn't just about having a new toy, she is going to be turned into a "rolling billboard" if you will, so that people will have no choice but to see the awareness ribbon (and other info) on the back. Yes, I will be adding mods, Yes, I will be taking her to the drag strip and Hell yes, I can't wait. The biggest point of it all is to raise awareness for all of the people that have this AWFUL disease and don't even know it because they are being lied to and misdiagnosed so the big pharmaceutical companies can line their pockets! *RANT OVER* With that being said, she isn't going to just sit in my garage only to be driven on Sunday and be shown off to my grand kids one day. I have owned 3 F-body's in the past and as for a hobby, they are my passion. I don't have a lot of money and I will eventually have to start looking for sponsors, but in the mean time, I have to get moving on something before I LITERALLY can't turn a wrench or even walk! So, if anyone knows of where I can find a 1998-2002 BLACK or WHITE WS6 somewhere near SOUTH CAROLINA, In great physical condition, decent miles and less than $10,000 PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Also, if you are interested in becoming a sponsor, let me know that as well. THANK YOU!!!

So sorry to hear, I am subscribing to this thread and will be keeping an eye out on the local ads and net for a "nice" $10K car.
My wife was diagnosed with MS 14 years ago and we make the best of every day.
Thoughts and prayers to you.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To CarolinaGirl, I wish you the best of luck in your adventures. I can understand that people are looking for low mileage cars and 1 owner and a good price, I wouldn't pay high dollar ether. I troll around on here and see so many sweet f-bodys ( modified ) for sale and I'm looking at the prices and you couldn't build anything close for that money. It kinda breaks my heart.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by hardbones
So sorry to hear, I am subscribing to this thread and will be keeping an eye out on the local ads and net for a "nice" $10K car.
My wife was diagnosed with MS 14 years ago and we make the best of every day.
Thoughts and prayers to you.
Thank you so much!
I am currently looking for sponsors to assist with build, paint, etc. The car is coming out of my pocket, every bit of savings I have $6000. The way I see it if giving everything I have means helping just one person, it's worth all the money, effort, time etc.
I would be amiss if I did not ask though, has your wife been tested specifically for Lyme disease? I was diagnosed with RA, Fibromyalgia, CFS and before I knew it was Lyme (I had enough of the crap and no one listening) they were looking at MS. I had to argue and beg a lot but finally got tested. I can't stress enough, a blood test could change someone's life. My doctor's never thought of Lyme because I live in South Carolina, I guess they figure the ticks see the state line and turn around, IDK. lol. Now I just have to get treatment (which finding a doctor is harder than I ever imagined) Thank you and Prayers are ALWAYS welcome and returned
God Bless
Kris
Old 02-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Default Can't never could....

To CarolinaGirl, I wish you the best of luck in your adventures. I can understand that people are looking for low mileage cars and 1 owner and a good price, I wouldn't pay high dollar ether. I troll around on here and see so many sweet f-bodys ( modified ) for sale and I'm looking at the prices and you couldn't build anything close for that money. It kinda breaks my heart.
I am not as concerned with owner/mileage...Just creating a real head turner to grab attention. I won't give up and I know it will happen, I just have to be patient. You are right though, there are some amazing deals out there!
Thank you
Kris

Last edited by TickdCarolinaGirl; 02-19-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Lyme brain...spell check :)
Old 02-19-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you so much!
I am currently looking for sponsors to assist with build, paint, etc. The car is coming out of my pocket, every bit of savings I have $6000. The way I see it if giving everything I have means helping just one person, it's worth all the money, effort, time etc.
I would be amiss if I did not ask though, has your wife been tested specifically for Lyme disease? I was diagnosed with RA, Fibromyalgia, CFS and before I knew it was Lyme (I had enough of the crap and no one listening) they were looking at MS. I had to argue and beg a lot but finally got tested. I can't stress enough, a blood test could change someone's life. My doctor's never thought of Lyme because I live in South Carolina, I guess they figure the ticks see the state line and turn around, IDK. lol. Now I just have to get treatment (which finding a doctor is harder than I ever imagined) Thank you and Prayers are ALWAYS welcome and returned
God Bless
Kris
Kris if you get an official website or something setup for your cause please email it to me.
I have sent you an PM explaining what the wife has been through, did not want to hijack the thread.

On a different note has anybody noticed all the 90-100K mile cars popping up for sale on here lately for $15K+???
Old 02-19-2014, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

On a different note has anybody noticed all the 90-100K mile cars popping up for sale on here lately for $15K+???
Can't say I've seen prices that high for that mileage, but I have seen plenty of 90-100k+ mile cars listed as "mint/perfect/etc."....even more than usual.

The definition of mint/perfect/immaculate/showroom has become so distorted at this point that they can be considered interchangeable with "fair". We're going to need a new word to describe cars that are actually mint.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Kris if you get an official website or something setup for your cause please email it to me.
I have sent you an PM explaining what the wife has been through, did not want to hijack the thread.

I appreciate that hardbones, responded to PM as well. And I agree, all the high mileage cars for TOO MUCH!1
Old 02-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Can't say I've seen prices that high for that mileage, but I have seen plenty of 90-100k+ mile cars listed as "mint/perfect/etc."....even more than usual.

The definition of mint/perfect/immaculate/showroom has become so distorted at this point that they can be considered interchangeable with "fair". We're going to need a new word to describe cars that are actually mint.
totally agree!! "Mint" is over used and usually inaccurate!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Agreed with the website idea. Also, start a thread here about your plan, and the cars you find, the car you end up with etc. Let us know how we can help, and what you need along the way. I would like to think there are a bunch of here that are more than willing to do whatever we can to help you with your cause Kris! Don't be afraid to ask us!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Agreed with the website idea. Also, start a thread here about your plan, and the cars you find, the car you end up with etc. Let us know how we can help, and what you need along the way. I would like to think there are a bunch of here that are more than willing to do whatever we can to help you with your cause Kris! Don't be afraid to ask us!
WOW! I really appreciate that! Working on getting it all sorted out.
Looking at this: http://onslow.craigslist.org/cto/4339767232.html
and http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/cto/4332453117.html
Not too excited about either but waiting on a reply. Decent cars, not far from my budget. Some people may think it's crazy to use a car for this, but think about it...IDK about you but when I hear a car rumblin, I look, its a reaction...I love F-Body's and working on them when I am able is actually therapeutic Now if I can just get this "foggy brain" crap under control, I will be doing great! I definitely can not do this alone, so I really appreciate it.

Have a great night!
~Kris
Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure I "love" this, but definitely an option...there is a very fine line in the lime green not being, how do I say...ghetto? If done right though, maybe not too bad? What do ya'll think. I feel like I hijacked this thread (sorry ya'll). Where should I post the thread you mentioned NW-99SS? Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I feel like I hijacked this thread (sorry ya'll). Where should I post the thread you mentioned NW-99SS? Thanks again!
Sounds like this is going to be a "build" thread, covering the selection, purchase and modification of the car once found. That being the case, it would go best in the "vehicle specific" section that applies to the car you end up purchasing. Since it seems that you're set on a Trans Am, the right place for a build thread would be:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...-1967-2002-73/
Old 02-20-2014, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Yup^ The admins here will obviously steer you in the right direction and offer great advice.

Get a thread started in the Pontiac section, and keep posting links to the ones you are looking at and I'm sure there will be locals that can help you out. Hopefully you find the right car at the right price!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Default Awesome!

Thank you guys so much! I will create a new thread soon (unless one of you guys would like to start it for me). I have gotten some great advice and folks sharing for sale posts from different places but so far haven't found anything yet. I did post a "wanted ad" in the classifieds section but no bites yet. This is going to be a long journey but will be so worth it in the end. Yes I definitely want a Trans Am but a Camaro that is priced right and in great condition will work too!
Thank Ya'll so much!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

you'll find something soon and itll be exactly what you wanted.

just think positive.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Default I needed to see this today....

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
you'll find something soon and itll be exactly what you wanted.

just think positive.
I really needed to see this today, I have spent hours looking for the perfect car and still nothing, I was a little down today (and overwhelmed, I have been sick the last few days) and you are right! I just need to be patient, I know it's meant to be so I don't want to "settle" for just anything. With great folks like you out there, I know it will be ok.
Thank You!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

i just picked up a 99 z28 m6 just hit 100k
4700$
its just a toy for me

Quick Reply: Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?