General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Would you buy a second Fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree , i made alot of mistakes modding this car, it was my first ls car and i was about a crazy setup, huge cam,cowl hood, drag set up,duals etc, i do like the look but kinda growing out of it, i wish i would have just went with a blower,small cam, nice forged wheels and kept my gmmg setup, your right alot of lil things can go wrong, but for the cash there very fun cars,and you can pick up cars so cheap, i dont think ill ever sell it just because i cant let go of something i love so much for such lil cash, but i do plan on getting a frc ,maybe after that ill get rid of it, but i have had this car for 9 yeas
Old 04-01-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned 2 at the same time multiple times including now.

Stock ones make a fine daily driver other than the long *** doors.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
I have owned 2 at the same time multiple times including now.

Stock ones make a fine daily driver other than the long *** doors.
after having my formula stored all winter I am now reminded of the long doors. There are times I have to pass up parking spots because I just cant open my dang door far enough.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Launching!

I would most definitely buy a second f-body. You really just can't beat it in the "bang-for-your-buck" category

I daily drive '00 z28 (when not riding my cbr954rr), so I'd like to have a cleaner and more powerful 2nd f-body, preferably a ws6, cuz those look badass
Old 04-08-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I drove my silver 98 today which is stock, and it was still a hoot.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
I drove my silver 98 today which is stock, and it was still a hoot.
Whats the odds of your formula being a M6 car? I would love to have a WS6 1LE formula
Old 04-09-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

100%. All 1LE LS1 Formulas were manual transmission.

I listed it in the cars for sale section.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Launching!

After daily driving a Buick on the pothole ridden streets up here the last 5 yrs I have issues putting up with that solid axle all day every day. I'm biased though as I drive a 26" work truck with solid axles front and rear.

May-Nov I drive the Formula approx 3~5k miles though, too fun to just sit there
Old 04-13-2014, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I sold my '02 in March, and now for the first time in 7 years I'm down to just one 4th gen. It feels a bit strange to have only one of them, and I do miss having one that I can drive whenever I want (my remaining 4th gen is a show car that only sees maybe 500 miles per year).

I may buy another, just a beater with t-tops to drive around. I'm still adjusting to this new situation and not yet sure what my next automotive move will be.

I've heard all the common complaints about 4th gens over the years (harsh ride, long doors, passenger floor hump, huge dash, feels like you're sitting on the ground, more glass than a greenhouse but more blind spots than Ray Charles, etc.); none of these things have ever bothered me at all. I've always loved driving 4th gens. The only reason I recently sold one of mine is that there were certain things about that specific car that I didn't like enough to make it worth the cost of all the work it was going to need in the not-so-distant future. It had nothing to do with any sort of dislike for the basic nature of these cars in general.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 04-13-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I sold my '02 in March, and now for the first time in 7 years I'm down to just one 4th gen. It feels a bit strange to have only one of them, and I do miss having one that I can drive whenever I want (my remaining 4th gen is a show car that only sees maybe 500 miles per year).
During this winter I was seriously contemplating selling my A4 car come spring, taking over my wife's G8 and getting her some kind of SUV. I've DD'd 4th gen Formulas for 14 of the past 17 years, the current LS1 A4 car for 10, and yet most of the time when I get in it and drive it, I love it. The way my converter works with my powerband, the overall fit and feel of it ... and then the last couple of days with the t-tops off - nice as it is, there's just no way that the G8 can compare with the driving experience. The only time I grow weary of my car is in the dead of winter; it just gets too harsh. But then a warm day comes along and I love it all over again.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes I would own 2 LS F-Bodies at once. I have been DDing LS Fbodies ever since I was 17 and bought my Z28. I was a lot roughing and dumber with my Z28, modding it without supporting it and such but I sold it and bought my T/A and I am definitely going the other way around this time. Building it to support the power I want then I'll get the power later on when I'm ready. I would love to buy another F-Body to DD while I build this one or vice versa. Maybe buy another one and have a Drag car and the other a Road Course/Auto X car. I really want a G8 though. That would be my ideal setup, one f-body and a G8. I love driving my T/A though. I used to drive my Camaro for 6 hour trips twice a month from Texarkana to Austin and loved every minute! I DD my M6 T/A in Austin traffic and I love it too! I know HotWhip has 2 F-bodies as well and he seems to be enjoying it. But yes I would.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Would I buy another? No, I have the one I want. Now if it ever gets totaled I'd buy a Corvette.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I would definitly DD something other than an F-body. I drive mine to work a half a dozen times a year and hate it. Love the car, don't like traffic and roads that are beat to ****. Of course a big part of it is worrying about something happening to it, getting chipped up. I just hate drving it. Now on the weekends when it's sunny and maybe the wife is with me and I stick to highway or the nicer backroads...... luuuuuv it. And maybe it's age talking, but the ride IS rough. I drive a lifted truck everyday and I swear I'm on the verge of buying a third vehicle. Something quiet and comfortable. It's funny, you may not realize how nice some cars are when you're just always in your own cars. Everytime I move my wifes VW (which is rarely) I feel like some hick stuck in 1984. I'm like woooow, this is fancy!!!
Old 04-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by _JB_
Would I buy another? No, I have the one I want. Now if it ever gets totaled I'd buy a Corvette.
^^^^This
Old 04-24-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to have a 60-90K mile 98-02 Camaro, maybe something that has already had H/C/I and some other mods just to play around with. My car is very clean and low mile so I dont want to get carried away modding and driving the hell out of it. So having another one to play around with would be nice.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just sold my cammed built motor 02 z. Body was a 9 out of 10 and the interior was 2. It was a stalled auto but it was a nitrous set up so it drove very nice can could easily be a daily.

I'm going to wait a year or so, but I am going to do a intake, exhaust, geared comb with nothin but suspension for the track and what not, but I def want something tame and easy to drive. 6 speed too.

Besides selling the car to put money away, I hated driving it in the son because the stupid sail panel finally started bubbling slightly. It was a shame because it kept me from enjoying it monday through friday. I drove it a lot before it started doing so.

Scares me for my next one too.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by hardbones
My car is very clean and low mile so I dont want to get carried away modding and driving the hell out of it. So having another one to play around with would be nice.
This is exactly how I ended up with two of them at the same time. From '99-'06 all I had were 4th gens with between 3 (brand new) and 14,000 miles. I always felt bad about driving them, or doing any sort of modifications. I did a bunch of stuff to my '00 starting around 5k miles, but had mixed feelings about it. Finally in '07 I decided to buy one with 70k miles and just drive it. This was great, and kept me happy all the way until this spring when it just didn't make sense to keep it any longer due to winter/salt exposure and the damage it had done to the body and undercarrige. I didn't want to spend a ton of cash doing general repairs and such on a car that was pretty well rotted away underneath.

If I could find another nice one that was comparable to my '02 (when purchased in '07 with 70k), I would certainly consider buying it.

Originally Posted by flattusmaximus78
I hated driving it in the son because the stupid sail panel finally started bubbling slightly. It was a shame because it kept me from enjoying it monday through friday. I drove it a lot before it started doing so.

Scares me for my next one too.
Every '99-'02 F-body will have this problem, unless you buy a convertible. The only way to avoid it is to buy a '98 that was assembled prior to 05/98 (some of the 05/98 and later 1998 cars were OK, but it's hit-or-miss for the May/June cars. But July '98 and into the '99 model year and beyond, you can expect every example to have this problem.)

Otherwise, you'll either need to replace the roof yourself (only options here are an older used roof or a reproduction panel from 6LE, as GM discontinued this panel many years ago) or find a car that already had the roof replaced.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sure! And drive 1, year round in snow towards DC 100 miles daily.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a second Fbody?