General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Tough Situation??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough Situation??

I have a 99 Firebird that I made the motor swap from a V6 to the LS1. Best thing ever I have ever done and this was my first motor swap. With this swap I have put a lot of time and money in to my car and it has done more then I have expected from her.

So I decided to make the next step into my build which was a heads and cam. Built my own heads and bought a cam from Texas-Speed and all of the supporting mods in between. But this time I wasn't the only one working on my car. I got a little help with it and it hurt me in the end. He did a lot of stuff to cut corners to think it will help me get it done faster.

I got to the point of the build to start tuning and I ran in to some issues that I don't even know what they are and I am afraid that it will do more damage then what is already been done.

So what I am here to ask is if I should keep going and find out the issue or just part it out or keep going with it???

Need some help guys.......
Old 02-23-2014, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Thackdaddy43
I have a 99 Firebird that I made the motor swap from a V6 to the LS1. Best thing ever I have ever done and this was my first motor swap. With this swap I have put a lot of time and money in to my car and it has done more then I have expected from her.

So I decided to make the next step into my build which was a heads and cam. Built my own heads and bought a cam from Texas-Speed and all of the supporting mods in between. But this time I wasn't the only one working on my car. I got a little help with it and it hurt me in the end. He did a lot of stuff to cut corners to think it will help me get it done faster.

I got to the point of the build to start tuning and I ran in to some issues that I don't even know what they are and I am afraid that it will do more damage then what is already been done.

So what I am here to ask is if I should keep going and find out the issue or just part it out or keep going with it???

Need some help guys.......

What kind of issues are you having? What did they cut corners on? We need more info
Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Are you looking for help tuning or help in tracking down issues? If so we can help with both. Check out our site or send us an email...you will find both links below.

We do offer remote tuning servies via HPT and support and can help you with anything you need along the way with the package.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id take it to someone thats familiar with these motors and cars.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

I think I am having a vacuum leak and he spliced some wires that I am not sure of on the engine harness and he mixed up some bolts on the motor so now I have extra.

I kind of don't want to take it to a shop cuz it's gonna probably cost more then what I can pay right now but that has been a thought tho.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

is going back to stock an option ?
Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Just be patient and repair/clean up one issue at a time.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Thackdaddy43
I think I am having a vacuum leak and he spliced some wires that I am not sure of on the engine harness and he mixed up some bolts on the motor so now I have extra.

I kind of don't want to take it to a shop cuz it's gonna probably cost more then what I can pay right now but that has been a thought tho.
I always have extra bolts left over after working on my car. It means I am better than the engineers who designed the car and it will be faster due to weight savings.

Honestly what type of bolts are left over? I never put all my bolts back in that hold the coil bracket on. Hopefully all the critical bolts are in place being that it seems the vehicle is running. Header bolts are to easy to replace if they are missing some. Bolts and vacuum issues are fairly easy to fix on your own. Now the electrical could be a PIA.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
I always have extra bolts left over after working on my car. It means I am better than the engineers who designed the car and it will be faster due to weight savings.
Haha! That's one way to look at it.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

I have thought also about just tearing the motor back out and putting it on an engine stand and just completely start over. I have bad OCD when it comes to cars and this is bugging me to the point of getting rid of it and just buy a WS6 or an SS of the same year.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Peace of mind is priceless.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

People helping can have good intent, but they aren't you.

I like to know what's going on with my car so I do most of my own work. I do get someone to help when I get to a point where it's easier with a second person.

If you haven't done so I would get some of the books on LS engines and LS swaps. I would get several different ones because they will have slightly different information.

Unless you think there is something damaged beyond repair I would keep what you have rather than start from scratch.

As far as wiring the wiring is concerned if some where spliced that should be pretty easy to chase down, the splice should be obvious. If the harness is really hacked you can purchase a replacement harness.

On the bolts I replace most of my bolts with new bolts. If you do that there is little doubt about where they go.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The wiring idea is not always right. If a harness has been pinched previously and wires internally are damaged, you may not ever know. I have seen that quite a few times.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Starting completely over with a new car seems like a waste. I'd definitely pull the motor and check everything. Take your time and then put motor back in.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take pictures of said bolts and you said he spliced a wire but how do you know it hurt anything? does it run?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

I am liking everybody's response and helpful tips so far.

For the books that " SS Performance" has mentioned, what are they and where can I get them??

I have been really leaning towards getting an engine stand starting over on it. Cuz I did find a crack in one of the heads and I do not want to risk that do I will probably build another set of heads with the parts that are on the ones I have now.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Like we said before, peace of mind is worth more than most people care to admit. I am not saying spend a fortune, but if you can do it right and do it the way you want, then you likely should.

Very seldom will you find someone that builds something once and is happy with it forever. You can start small and always build up from there. But getting things lined out and making sure everything is correct seems to be job #1.

We are watching the thread and if you need anything just let us know. Parts, options, tuning, or some mild tech. We are here to help.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you go to Amazon and search in the BOOK section for LS engine you will find a whole selection of books. I'm sure Summit has them as well. I have several and will PM you the titles later today.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Thanks coSpeed2!! I will check your site out for sure.

Sounds good man I probably need all the books so that I can get this dang thing on the road again!!

Quick Reply: Tough Situation??