General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

FBody , GTO or C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FBody , GTO or C5Z

Okay, so I've been debating this for probably 3-4 months. I'm planning on buying within the next 5 weeks. I need to make up my mind so I can focus my search more.

My goals are over time (over the next 3-5 years) are to build a turbo lsx 8.90 1/4 weekend STREET and track warrior.

My concerns are living with a car as a daily until that point.

I've owned a 10 second Camaro SS and I loved it and have really planned on building another one much faster ever since I regretfully sold my last one.

GTO, I test drive an 04 once ans fell in love with how smooth and comfortable the car was.. Other than that , I know there heavy but I'm also aware of the ls2 capabilities over the ls1.

C5Z- never driven a c5 but I've been around them and I love there lite weight to start with , but much like the ls1 the internals are only good for so much.

I guess my main concern is over all dollar to performance . I love all three platforms and I can't make up my mind.

If I had them in order right now , it would be camaro < gto < c5z. And that's pretty much based on price and the fact the z doesn't have a back seat lol..

Keeping in mind my concern is price to performance gain and over all drivability and daily use.. With a 8.90 1/4 mile goal.. What's your guys opinions .

Also if at all possible , I'm only interested in 6spd platform .. So maybe a trap speed of 150mph Is a better basis.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

C5Z is your best option of those 3 with the goal you have listed. It will be the lighter vehicle, so less power required to hit your ET goals. The F-Body would be a close second because acquisition price would be MUCH lower than the Z06, but if you plan on modding to an extreme level, mileage on an engine should matter much (it will have to be pulled/built anyway).

If you have a tight budget, I'd go F-Body > Z06.
If you can afford the Z06, I'd take it over the F-Body (unless the back seat is that important to you).
The GTO would cost a lot more to turn into an 8.9 1/4 mile beast, in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

I get your point .. And for now .. I'm not sure how important a back seat really is lol.. I'm a little hesitant over the c5z because I haven't driven one. But you make a valid point about mileage .. So a higher mile c5z around 15k.. Vs a Camaro .. Is 7-10k extra worth those 300-400lbs ? And would that weight now be taken off an fbody for a lot less than 7k..

My 99 hardtop , moser 12 bolt cam, nitrous car was 3500lbs with full interior , ac , full nitrous bottle , half tank with me in the car .

Certainly for 3-4k I could have lost about 300lbs even keeping the ac.. (Prob not with as much comfort as the c5z though ..
Old 03-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

85 views and only one person has an opinion .. I find that hard to believe around here lol.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Z06 would also have the dreaded "Corvette Tax," where all mods cost a little more.

The Z06 is also a much more solidly built vehicle with superior handling when compared to the F-Body, in case you want all of this power to be able to take some corners as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah .. Idk man lol.. Your right but .. When it comes down to a full build .. They should even each other out.. At least I'd tbink anyway.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For drag racing, the F-Body is your better option, for track racing go with the C5, for daily drivability go with the GTO. Choose which of those three options are most important for you.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

I would definitely go with a c5 z06. Don't get me wrong I love my F-Body and probably will keep it forever, but a corvette, especially a z06 is just mean. Better interior and women will drop their pants for you because you own a corvette.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by M4N14C
For drag racing, the F-Body is your better option, for track racing go with the C5, for daily drivability go with the GTO. Choose which of those three options are most important for you.
Drag racing and spirited street driving is deff the direction I'm going with this . I know once a build gets so purpose built as for the times and power I'm going for it's hard to get the best of both worlds .. I know the fbody is capable of a nice ride .. But so is the c5z capabale of straight line performance just the same.

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
I would definitely go with a c5 z06. Don't get me wrong I love my F-Body and probably will keep it forever, but a corvette, especially a z06 is just mean. Better interior and women will drop their pants for you because you own a corvette.
It seems like the c5z is a better all around platform .. But it's nothing the fbody can't make up the diff with a little money spent in the right places the right ways couldn't match up fairly well to.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blake_colvin
Drag racing and spirited street driving is deff the direction I'm going with this . I know once a build gets so purpose built as for the times and power I'm going for it's hard to get the best of both worlds .. I know the fbody is capable of a nice ride .. But so is the c5z capabale of straight line performance just the same.

It seems like the c5z is a better all around platform .. But it's nothing the fbody can't make up the diff with a little money spent in the right places the right ways couldn't match up fairly well to.
Here's the thing. A vette is also more likely to break loose on the freeway than an F-Body. I've seen an 8 second vette, and an 8 second F-Body. I have an F-body because they're so damn sexy to me. But when I see a corvette, I can't take my eyes off it. It's all about what you like though. F-Body, will definitely fulfill your "spirited" needs.. and they love nitrous
Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I'm inclined to agree with this. Yeah you have a few hundred extra pounds, but it's an F body. Those cars were basically built as hot rods. Corvettes are more of a drivers car wanting the overall great driving experience.

GTO's are comfy cars kind of inbetween the two to me.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

im for an fbody because im hoping mine to runs 10s someday.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blake_colvin
Sounds like you're looking for all out performance, so that pretty much rules out the GTO. Nothing feels like a Z06, so if you can do without spare seats, and if you're not looking to run 8's, then it looks like the Vette is your best bet.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:49 AM
Staging Lane

Some very good points made here. I agree the fbody can fulfill my spirited drive needs, especially with the coilover conversion options with some
Nice adjustable shocks these days , I feel the car would be able to pull extra duty as a driver and an occasional track car. However I'll most likely only go to the track to run a number just because , and it will be primarily used on the street. Just being honest.

I do want to chase down that 8 second pass . A 10 second fbody is to easy and frankly 9's aren't that far fetched either , I like the challenge and considering this is a over time project the fbody would in the end be a tad cheaper and I feel maybe i would enjoy it and enjoy working on it a little more vs the vette maybe .

Just to restate where I'm coming from : I previously Had a cammed , nitrous Camaro ss with a 12bolt , m6 car. My best time was : 1.56 60ft 7.03 @100 mph bouncing off the rev limiter 3 times before I crossed the line.
I ran a few 130mph cars (1/4) and was able to put 1-2 cars on them. There's no doubt in my mind that car had 10.50's in it on just a 175shot and 4&4whp on a dyno dynamics .

However that car was a bigs and littles primarily track car.. My next build will
Be a 275 drag radial street car.

From reading your guys opinions and talking it over more with some close friends , it really seems like the direction I'm headed has a properly set up fbody written all over my goals
Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the GTO and love it. All of them are nice in their own ways. Just pick which one feels the most comfortable sitting in it.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Clearly the Corvette is the best build of the three. Arguably, I have the GTO at #2, however I throw that out because of the weight, the IRS and the fact that they're more expensive than the F-bodies. That being said, based on your drag race goals, I believe I'd go with a dirt cheap, high mileage F-body tear it apart and build it back to meet that goal. Feel like that option would be a more cost effective way to get that 8.90 timeslip with the understanding that you're accepting some of the build quality trade-offs.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

For the goals you listed, I'd say F-Body.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:56 AM
Launching!

I’d say it’s a toss-up because for every reason you can come up with as to why you would pick one platform over the other. You can find someone doing just that and being good at what most say the car is bad as not as well suited for. I’d say if you don’t care about carrying around more than one other person then a GTO is out of the running. There really isn’t any reason to own one if you are one of one or two. Granted they are getting cheaper and you can have one for really cheap wrecked or whatever for the sake of building a race car.

F-bodies at least for me have been done and done again so many times I wouldn’t care to go down that road. They make pretty decent drag cars but that about it. The Corvette on the other hand has also been played to death but is designed from the ground up to be decent at everything. So taking one and going one way or the other with it will be a win either way.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:54 AM

I would say the f body as well. Cheap aftermarket, and definitely suited for the strip. A vette is more of a track oriented car, and the gto is a heavy grand tourer
Old 03-21-2014, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with maniac

Quick Reply: FBody , GTO or C5Z