General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What would you guys rather do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would you guys rather do?

Okay looking for some opinions here guys, so i was supposed to go pick up my 2012 CTS-V coupe the other day since i put a deposit on it and i was going to trade in my 07 BMW 335i but the damn dealer sold it to someone else the same day out from under me (i started things over the phone bc the dealer was over 3 hours away) even with my deposit to hold it and i was already approved on a loan!!! I was so pissed but what was i going to do. They gave me back the deposit and basically told me "have a nice day"! I almost killed someone!!! Anyway now that that didnt work out I'm kinda back to wondering if thats what i should get. I love the CTS-V but i also love the Z06 vette! I also have a 2002 TA SOM WS6 thats pretty done up but could probably use another 10K to get it right where i want it. Then again i do have the BMW which is a nice car that doesn't really have any immediate problems and has 57K miles but they cost a fortune to fix and no warranty! Whatever i decide it'll be my daily driver also. So basically i have 3 options:

1) Sell the BMW and get a 2011-2013 Cadillac CTS-V coupe with all the bells and whistles that still has a factory warranty and virtually no miles or:
2) Sell the BMW and get a 2008-2010 Z06 with higher mileage (like around 20-25K) with no factory warranty or:
3) Just keep the BMW as my DD and completely finish the Trans Am (about 700hp-750hp when done)?

So what do you guys think?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Do you need a family car?

If it were me I would end up with the z06
Old 04-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by black79transam
Do you need a family car?

If it were me I would end up with the z06
No need for a family car at the moment. I'm married but no kids. Maybe in the future but not immediate future. Even if i did tho my wife has a 2012 Toyota Corolla S. My buddy keeps telling me to get the Z06 also which i love but i like the idea of a bad *** luxury car also but thats part of whats making it difficult. Plus its a little harder to get a loan on a car thats from 2008-2010 as opposed to 2011-2013 but its not impossible.

Last edited by noblesramair; 04-09-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I'll give a cautious nod to #3. You'll get to complete your vision for your T/A. The Beemer is bound to be a really nice driver. And it has low miles. I think I'd tend to keep my fingers crossed and keep driving it ... in spite of the saying "never own a German car without a warranty."
Old 04-10-2014, 01:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by noblesramair
Plus its a little harder to get a loan on a car thats from 2008-2010 as opposed to 2011-2013 but its not impossible.
I would pass on anything that requires you to take a loan. I just refuse to consider financing for any car at this point, unless you can get an interest rate that's lower than what you can otherwise earn with the cash.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going with option #3. Or secret option #4 - go buy a C7 Z51 (if you're an auto trans guy, wait until next year when they get the new 8-speed).
Old 04-10-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I 'd personally go with option 3.
The rest is up to your finances and the desire to switch the dd from bmw to cts-v.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I would pass on anything that requires you to take a loan. I just refuse to consider financing for any car at this point, unless you can get an interest rate that's lower than what you can otherwise earn with the cash.
I couldn't agree with you more; however, i was one of those unlucky folks that got shafted by the housing market crash in 2008! I lost over 100K equity in my house in about a year and so my credit went to **** since i had no choice but to file bankruptcy. I've been trying to rebuild my credit ever since and I've been doing pretty well but i can't really do that unless i take out loans unfortunately and i want to buy a house in a couple years. Nobody will give a mortgage to someone that hasn't reestablished themselves in my situation. My wife and i want to buy in California and houses out there cost a lot of bank and i don't see myself being able to save up hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy it outright unless i want to live in her parents garage in California for the next decade!

Last edited by noblesramair; 04-10-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I'm going with option #3. Or secret option #4 - go buy a C7 Z51 (if you're an auto trans guy, wait until next year when they get the new 8-speed).
Ya i was considering getting a new vette and i would prefer stick in a vette but i refuse to buy brand new. IDK if you've seen the interest rates they are trying to charge from GM to finance one either...its 14.7% for "well qualified buyers"!!!! Thats fricken insane on a new car! I refuse to pay that much interest on a brand new car! They are taking advantage of the fact that everybody wants one and if you don't have 50-60K cash you'll pay for it in interest! Not to mention unfortunately the regular vettes always plummet in value so fast! Granted its 9 years later but nobody wants a 2005 base corvette but if it was a few years newer it maybe easier yet the value now is still more than half what it was originally. Even a Z06 from 08 is still going for 50K if its not all beat up with really high miles, thats not nearly as bad of a drop.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by noblesramair
Ya i was considering getting a new vette and i would prefer stick in a vette but i refuse to buy brand new. IDK if you've seen the interest rates they are trying to charge from GM to finance one either...its 14.7% for "well qualified buyers"!!!! Thats fricken insane on a new car! I refuse to pay that much interest on a brand new car! They are taking advantage of the fact that everybody wants one and if you don't have 50-60K cash you'll pay for it in interest! Not to mention unfortunately the regular vettes always plummet in value so fast! Granted its 9 years later but nobody wants a 2005 base corvette but if it was a few years newer it maybe easier yet the value now is still more than half what it was originally. Even a Z06 from 08 is still going for 50K if its not all beat up with really high miles, thats not nearly as bad of a drop.
I would CTS-V for a few years and then trade in for a used C7. The looks and interior alone would be worth the performance drop over a C6Z...to me at least.

Quick Reply: What would you guys rather do?