General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Fix it, sell it, or part it out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fix it, sell it, or part it out?

Looking for some other folks thoughts here. My 3-4 clutch pack crapped out earlier this week leaving me at a crossroads. I can DD my Silverado for the time being so I'm not in a rush, but I'm at that point of is it worth putting any more money into the car, or should sell it/part it and try to find another one. I do not have access to a lift, so if I swap the trans it'll be on my back in the driveway.

Details: 2000 Camaro Z28. 200k on it, engine still runs like a champ, obviously the 4l60e is missing 3rd & 4th, has a 3.73 rear with about 20k on it(SLP gears), Loudmouth catback with corsa tips, slp lid, real oem SS hood and SS spoiler, 35th LE SS wheels, Ebony leather interior is in good shape. It does have paint issues; the clear is fading(not peeling) on the drivers fender and door, and it has its share of chips/scratches from being a daily driver.

Thoughts?

Old 05-10-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

how much do you like it?

ive put a ton of money into my SS the past few years but i plan on keeping it forever.

im guessing you can get a stock rebuild for a 4l60 for around 2.2.5k? built one a little more obviously.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Funny you mention the 3-4 clutch pack. That seems to be a well known complaint. My trans just started going same as yours. I will be ordering a FLT level 4 trans on Monday. I think you should order one. You don't need that high of a level unless you want a lot more power in the future.

I hear ya on the lift. I don't have one so that's how my work gets done...on my back.

If you still love the car put a better trans in it!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Of course I like it haha.

I guess my issue it's not an SS or anything special, and the paint issues are bothering me, so if I sink the money for the trans into it, I'm committing to it and I'm going spend even more to paint it next year. Not sure quite what it's worth whole as it sits. Doing the numbers roughly in my head, I'm thinking it's got about $4-4.5k in parts value. It's a lot to think about.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Of course its a lot to think about. I said the same thing before I did any of the big mods on my car. "This is it I'll be too far into it if I just throw this cam in" LOL!

Here I am gonna toss a built trans in it now. You know what I'm already thinking? A gosh darn rear end!

The money pit is getting deeper my friend but its like a marriage...are you willing to separate?! How much do you love her?! HAHAHA PUT THE TRANS IN!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 03:01 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
I guess my issue it's not an SS or anything special, and the paint issues are bothering me, so if I sink the money for the trans into it, I'm committing to it and I'm going spend even more to paint it next year. Not sure quite what it's worth whole as it sits. Doing the numbers roughly in my head, I'm thinking it's got about $4-4.5k in parts value. It's a lot to think about.
Selling it as-is would be the worst possible option. Considering the current major trans issue, and the mileage, it wouldn't be worth much at all - even if it was an original SS (too many miles to be any kind of collector car so the only extra SS "value" would be the part-out price of the hood/spoiler/wheels....but yours already has those pieces anyway.) Parting it out would bring more money for sure, but that's a lot of hassle (selling, dealing with people, shipping, etc.)

At this point, repair is probably the least bad option. If you don't want to commit to keeping it and fixing ALL the things that bother you, then you might be able to find a decent deal on a used trans just to get it driveable to sell. If you intend to keep it, then I would recommend a performance-built replacement.

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I will be ordering a FLT level 4 trans on Monday.
I think you will love this transmission. I had their Level IV in my WS6 and it, combined with the Yank TC, was my most favorite part about the car. I wouldn't worry too much about the rear, this is rarely a concern for a street driven A4. If you spend a bunch of time at the track on sticky tires, then it's a different story.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if ya like it , fix it!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Of course I like it haha.

Take car of the car and fix her right and some day she will still be running the streets while many others will have expired. Regardless of SS, Z28, Formula, ETC. These cars will become harder to find many years down the road. So any survivor will be a heck of a deal.

Last edited by 99z28monster; 05-14-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I decided I am going to get the trans rebuilt. I may still try and sell it though once I get the trans back in. I figure if I want to keep sinking money it to a 4th gen, I might try and find what I really want; a SOM or HO SS.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

You should figure out how much you want to spend on the car Vs. how long you want to keep it. If you plan to sell it i wouldn't fix the tranny, with those miles and a good tranny that car might be worth $4k so spending $2k+ on a tranny rebuild wouldn't be worth it IMO I'm sure you could sell it as is for $2k - $2500 or part it for max. return.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

If you're gonna sell it just find a stock trans or just get the lowest level FLT.

My car has over 100k, is s Z28 which pretty much makes it worthless. I think it's cool that it has 200k and still runs tiptop sans trans. I say fix her up right and keep rocking it. If you sell it or part it, the hassle of doing so won't be worth it IMHO.

But it sounds like you only kind of like it. In that case I would go back to my idea of a cheap stock trans and just sell it and move on.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:06 AM
10 Second Club

I know what he means by "maybe" sell it. I go through that all the time with mine. But I will go on record and bet he wont sell it. After there's a new trans in there he will love the car again. Mine has almost 124k on it.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

Yea I know. I go through it too. Then I realize I don't like dealing with buyers and parting out cars is tedious and annoying. That and I've sold enough cars to know I'll regret getting rid of mine.

Even if you part it out you won't get much.

Maybe $500 for the hood if you're lucky. $200 for the spoiler. Maybe $1000 for the motor and $1500-2000 for the roller if that if you sell the hood and spoiler.

So $3200-3700....if you had a built motor, trans and rearend plus all the other usually stuff then it'd be more worthwhile parting.

I know it's hard to put money into it because it's high miles, but then again modding is a waste financially speaking anyways.

I agree with Senical, once you put a built trans and fresh stall in you'll fall back in love lmao
Old 05-15-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I was in your same shoes Op. I bought my car with high miles (218K) and have dumped tons of money into it and some times regret it then when I leave a few fat black lines on the road or someone gives me compliment its all worth it. Ive done a motor, built tranny and pretty much everything else on my car including a brand new rear after blowing 2 of them lol. I had the intention of having this be a "project" car when I bought it and I plan on keeping it a long time.

I run an FLT level 3 and yank ss3600 and I think youll enjoy that setup. I also helped someone else in this thread make the decision on an FLT too and they're gunna love it lol. Honestly, do the trans and a converter and drive the wheels off the car.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Yea I know. I go through it too. Then I realize I don't like dealing with buyers and parting out cars is tedious and annoying. That and I've sold enough cars to know I'll regret getting rid of mine.

Even if you part it out you won't get much.

Maybe $500 for the hood if you're lucky. $200 for the spoiler. Maybe $1000 for the motor and $1500-2000 for the roller if that if you sell the hood and spoiler.

So $3200-3700....if you had a built motor, trans and rearend plus all the other usually stuff then it'd be more worthwhile parting.

I know it's hard to put money into it because it's high miles, but then again modding is a waste financially speaking anyways.

I agree with Senical, once you put a built trans and fresh stall in you'll fall back in love lmao

Hell yeah and look at Mark's car down below you. He bought that think cheap as dirt and he replaced almost everything on that car. Miles are high as hell on that car so it just goes to show what can be done with these cars just by replacing old parts.

Originally Posted by mjs1012
I was in your same shoes Op. I bought my car with high miles (218K) and have dumped tons of money into it and some times regret it then when I leave a few fat black lines on the road or someone gives me compliment its all worth it. Ive done a motor, built tranny and pretty much everything else on my car including a brand new rear after blowing 2 of them lol. I had the intention of having this be a "project" car when I bought it and I plan on keeping it a long time.

I run an FLT level 3 and yank ss3600 and I think youll enjoy that setup. I also helped someone else in this thread make the decision on an FLT too and they're gunna love it lol. Honestly, do the trans and a converter and drive the wheels off the car.
How many miles now Mark?

I pretty much always knew I was going with FLT or RPM. It all worked out with FLT. Cant wait to be able to take the car on a nice ummm Sunday ummm stroll
Old 05-15-2014, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I decided I am going to get the trans rebuilt. I may still try and sell it though once I get the trans back in. I figure if I want to keep sinking money it to a 4th gen, I might try and find what I really want; a SOM or HO SS.
No point in putting any more money than necessary into a car that isn't what you want. I mentioned this earlier, but I'd try to get a used stock trans and put that in just to get the car driveable to sell. This would be the cheapest option. Then sell the car whole and start searching for one with the options you really want.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Hell yeah and look at Mark's car down below you. He bought that think cheap as dirt and he replaced almost everything on that car. Miles are high as hell on that car so it just goes to show what can be done with these cars just by replacing old parts.

How many miles now Mark?

I pretty much always knew I was going with FLT or RPM. It all worked out with FLT. Cant wait to be able to take the car on a nice ummm Sunday ummm stroll
232k or as I look at it, not enough because I havent driven it as much as I've wanted lol.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
No point in putting any more money than necessary into a car that isn't what you want. I mentioned this earlier, but I'd try to get a used stock trans and put that in just to get the car driveable to sell. This would be the cheapest option. Then sell the car whole and start searching for one with the options you really want.
More or less exactly the path I'm taking. I have a deal lined for a used but recently rebuilt trans relatively cheap. Should be picking it up Saturday. I'll probably wait until I find the car I want, take a loan, then sell this one. We'll see how things go.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

^ best choice. If you're heart isn't into it you'll just resent spending the money.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Upgrade to a 4L80E.

Quick Reply: Fix it, sell it, or part it out?