General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Career as LS mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Career as LS mechanic

I'm taking classes at a community college for automotive. I want to become a ls mechanic for a shop one day but I don't know the steps to get there. Any advice on how to pursuit a career in this field?
Old 02-06-2015, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Start applying at performance shops. A word of caution: most performance shops pay **** wages to technicians. This is why a lot of people go do their own thing or keep this as a hobby/side gig.

Make friends with people on here and other forums, and when someone posts up about doing a cam swap or some other engine work, see if you can join to watch/lend a hand. That's the best way to learn.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks I will take this all for consideration
Old 02-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Above suggestions are good. It always very wise to talk to people that currently do what you think you want to do. Buy them lunch, and talk to them about pay, what their days looks like, see if it still is something you want to do.

Also, consider how much you are paying for your education vs. what you be paid when you graduate, and think about the value there.

Always keep in mind and think about how you could do your "own" thing, or have your own shop. It may start in your own garage for friends, and expand over time. Its scary to think that way when you are starting out, but it could be a great option. Weigh your risks carefully.

It's good you are here asking questions. Hopefully you can get some good advice!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks I appreciate it. This is why I like this site bcuz of the community
Old 02-06-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Best of luck! SD could use more LS mechanics!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Best of luck. What part of San Diego are you in?

If you want some great, honest advice from mechanics, garagejournal is a good site to start looking about.

I myself, do heavy equipment. You may want to look into this as a field, and keep the LS hobby on the side. Just a suggestion, but as mentioned above, the performance world is cut-throat, you have a lot of good competition, and at the end of the day your customers are mostly individuals, and individuals have limited funds as compared to companies. I work on heavy equipment for companies who could buy the equipment many many times over, but are still dollar conscious and penny wise as well. In this line of work, your income/wages are steady, high, and allow you to do what you will with free time. You could keep it to 50-60hrs a week and devote 10-20 to automotive learning/side work.

In San Diego, I don't know any LS specific shops, only a shop that rebuilds/restores old mustangs, off of home avenue in City heights. I have a friend at ABB, and working on shipyard equipment isn't a bad gig.

Just an alternative view on the subject. Believe me, If I could make a great wage doing car work, I would, but I'm not a spectacular car mechanic and I hate doing oil changes all day, and its getting a bit late in the game for me to change careers. I will say that job satisfaction is about 1/2 of the picture. If you like what you do, its a big bonus.

Best of luck to you,
Nick
Old 02-09-2015, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Just remember the future is always coming you can't just be a LS tech forever.You have to keep up with the times and be good at all cars which makes you worth more. I work at a small ford dealer in a small town and work on all makes and models. I do a far amount of side work and performance side work also. Next to learn is tuning and will be very well rounded again more I know more I can do more money!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Just remember the future is always coming you can't just be a LS tech forever.You have to keep up with the times and be good at all cars which makes you worth more. I work at a small ford dealer in a small town and work on all makes and models. I do a far amount of side work and performance side work also. Next to learn is tuning and will be very well rounded again more I know more I can do more money!
Very true. The future is always ahead, and emissions will likely play a big factor in the next 10 years of new engine development. Having fun/enjoying what you do is great, but so is paying the bills, thus not always doing the fun and glamorous jobs. For the vast majority of mechanics, performance work is not their bread and butter, its something they enjoy doing and sneak it in whenever possible.

Nick
Old 02-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks to everybody on giving me advice/realistic answers. I will reevaluate everything yall said. 90k a year must be great CO99z28VERT
Old 02-11-2015, 04:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by phathead
Thanks to everybody on giving me advice/realistic answers. I will reevaluate everything yall said. 90k a year must be great CO99z28VERT
If you get into mechanics, and you become pretty good, its not an unrealistic goal. Whether heavy trucks, marine, heavy equipment, or passenger automotive, many of the better mechanics can clear that, Gross, anyway. It may take 5-10 years and having all your certifications, but it can be done. Taxes will kill you, though.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck phathead like they said you have to keep up with the times the ls already is out and lt is in. same block different heads and injection.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

You can be a LS only mechanic but chances are slim. There is a mustang only shop in my area and the guy actually has became very known for what he does. You just have to be really good at what you do and stand out among the rest.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you can sacrifice good pay for a while try getting into a shop at any position even if that means just cleaning up.

Otherwise I would go somewhere else and gain some on hand experiences. Start doing some side jobs and even lending a hand on people doing performance builds and let them spread the word of your work.

I personally know three people that only get work from word of mouth and get to do some of the most ridiculous high budget builds I see. One is a shop owner, one from his own garage (tunes as well) the other may have just started renting spots from the shop he was in because the side job list got to long

Started out private garage, learned quickly what it was going to take. Moved to an STS tire shop and now I'm a master tech at BMW. I keep the performance stuff as the hobby right now and help those who I know with ls cars and trying to build that word of mouth client list. I have seen some first hand cars that were hacked together at shop. Build you skills first

24 now making 80k which isnt master pay but there is more behind that story. Twenty four techs in my dealers. 5 clearing 150k$ and one hit 250k$ But SD probably has a higher cost of living.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
If you can sacrifice good pay for a while try getting into a shop at any position even if that means just cleaning up.

Otherwise I would go somewhere else and gain some on hand experiences. Start doing some side jobs and even lending a hand on people doing performance builds and let them spread the word of your work.

I personally know three people that only get work from word of mouth and get to do some of the most ridiculous high budget builds I see. One is a shop owner, one from his own garage (tunes as well) the other may have just started renting spots from the shop he was in because the side job list got to long

Started out private garage, learned quickly what it was going to take. Moved to an STS tire shop and now I'm a master tech at BMW. I keep the performance stuff as the hobby right now and help those who I know with ls cars and trying to build that word of mouth client list. I have seen some first hand cars that were hacked together at shop. Build you skills first

24 now making 80k which isnt master pay but there is more behind that story. Twenty four techs in my dealers. 5 clearing 150k$ and one hit 250k$ But SD probably has a higher cost of living.
I grossed 95k last year (not a mechanic in any way) and live with a room mate, that is more of a choice though. Some parts of SD are pricey while others are actually very affordable.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

IMO if you're not going to A. run your own successful business or B. able to find a performance shop where you are paid well and treated well, it's not worth working in this field. I am in school for an AS in automotive as well and I've worked at two dealerships since August and I've come to really hate it. I hate the way I get treated, I hate the way upper management treats me like they own me, and I have not spoken to one single technician that is happy doing what they do. I've also been told by master techs that the days of easy six figure salaries are long gone, and that the work is getting more complicated as cars become more advanced but the pay is remaining the same. Maybe a diesel tech could still pull that kind of cash but it's hard and I'm sure the area you live has an impact on it as well.

I feel like a GOOD well known freelance tuner with a good reputation who travels within his state could pull $100k, still getting to be around fast cars, still getting to make fast cars faster, and without having to answer to anyone but his happy customers and without beating yourself up physically. And you can still do mechanical work on your cars and friends cars on the side.

Just my opinion on it, I thoroughly enjoy working on cars so at this point I'm still in school just to satisfy that interest and desire to learn. But after spending 6 months working in the field I no longer have any desire to work for someone else in this industry, unless it's for a well paying performance shop as stated above. Which is rare...
Old 02-23-2015, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I grossed 95k last year (not a mechanic in any way) and live with a room mate, that is more of a choice though. Some parts of SD are pricey while others are actually very affordable.
My point was they may pay higher wages out there then central NJ.

Absolutely love what I do and like any job it had is moments but I thoroughly enjoy what I'm doing and the challenge these cars being. Again been at it for seven years. Pretty satisfying to have a job where you can make note money by working harder.

Quick Reply: Career as LS mechanic