General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Any Vette owners out there that used to be F-Body guys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any Vette owners out there that used to be F-Body guys?

I've been doing a ton of research on the C5 and C6 lately. Long story short, I'll be relocating to Roseville CA next fall and I've made the decision to sell my SS due to it not being smog legal.

How do you guys like driving the vette compared to the F-Body? What do you miss the most when comparing the two?

I'm leaning towards C5 Z06. I think with a 25K budget I can pick up a nice one.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-25-2015, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

C5 Z is the best bag for the buck around.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
C5 Z is the best bag for the buck around.
That's what I'm seeing. They look killer with the 19" / 20" tire/wheel combo.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yea the car still has great lines.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i almost bought a c5z06 but i got my GTO instead due to prices being similar back then.

a c5Z is one of my favorite cars still. but if you can afford a C6 i consider one also but i doubt youll find them to be less expensive.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i almost bought a c5z06 but i got my GTO instead due to prices being similar back then.

a c5Z is one of my favorite cars still. but if you can afford a C6 i consider one also but i doubt youll find them to be less expensive.
I agree. If I had the money for a C6 I'd go that route. I wish the heads weren't an issue with them.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
I agree. If I had the money for a C6 I'd go that route. I wish the heads weren't an issue with them.
i dont recall ls2 C6s having that problem though i could be wrong.

even so, an ls2 C6 would work just fine for me.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i dont recall ls2 C6s having that problem though i could be wrong.

even so, an ls2 C6 would work just fine for me.
I was referring to the LS7. Yea, I think the LS2 and 3 are bullet proof.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My Dad had an '02 WS6 that he traded back in '07 for a new 6 speed Z51 C6 that he still has, 13k mile car. Besides the fact that it is cammed, it's just nicer in every way than my SS. Even though the interior is considered cheap these days, its still nicer than an F-Body and you can't even compare the handling and ride. I plan to get one eventually but definitely want my Camaro parked next to it.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my 98 NBM Trans Am for nine years, and it has been treated very well. It is in fantastic condition for its age, and I have a deep love for it. Just the simple fact that I still have it sends a clear message. It is quite special to me.

I have wanted a Corvette sine I was a kid, and finally found the right car three years ago. I was keeping my eyes peeled for a low mileage minty C5 Z06, but accidentally stumbled across a C6 Z51 with several key mods and the proper color - Lemans Blue.

The difference between the cars is night and day, they are completely different. The Corvette is so much better in every way, you will not be disappointed.

The two things that I still love about the Trans Am is that one - most people recognize that it is an older sports car and always seem to think it is easy prey. It is so much fun to continue to prove people wrong with that car. Two - it has a back seat. I have a toddler that still needs a baby seat, so the back seat is very useful. If I want to take my wife and boy to a car show or go cruising, the TA is the only choice.

The advantages of the Corvette are immense. The handling is far superior. Looking back now, the Trans Am handles like a pickup truck in comparison. The Vette is smooth on rough pavement, sticky on rough corners, and gets amazing gas mileage. I love it to a whole new level.

Get the Vette. You won't look back. It's the best car in the world.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jeremiad
I have had my 98 NBM Trans Am for nine years, and it has been treated very well. It is in fantastic condition for its age, and I have a deep love for it. Just the simple fact that I still have it sends a clear message. It is quite special to me.

I have wanted a Corvette sine I was a kid, and finally found the right car three years ago. I was keeping my eyes peeled for a low mileage minty C5 Z06, but accidentally stumbled across a C6 Z51 with several key mods and the proper color - Lemans Blue.

The difference between the cars is night and day, they are completely different. The Corvette is so much better in every way, you will not be disappointed.

The two things that I still love about the Trans Am is that one - most people recognize that it is an older sports car and always seem to think it is easy prey. It is so much fun to continue to prove people wrong with that car. Two - it has a back seat. I have a toddler that still needs a baby seat, so the back seat is very useful. If I want to take my wife and boy to a car show or go cruising, the TA is the only choice.

The advantages of the Corvette are immense. The handling is far superior. Looking back now, the Trans Am handles like a pickup truck in comparison. The Vette is smooth on rough pavement, sticky on rough corners, and gets amazing gas mileage. I love it to a whole new level.

Get the Vette. You won't look back. It's the best car in the world.
That's awesome. Good description. I wish keeping the Camaro was an option. It will be nice to have a sports car that rides smooth and handles well.

Keep the storys coming guys
Old 06-26-2015, 06:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I am now on my 19th year of F-body ownership (bought a '96 Formula right off the showroom floor and I've never been without one since). I've had the means and opportunity to buy a Corvette many times over the past decade and have driven enough of them to know they are outstanding cars (I only look at 'stock' models with no mods). Why don't I own one, even as a second or 3rd car?? It may seem silly to many but I want a back seat. Even the smallest back seat has room to store things. After owning a Z3 (two seater) for quite a few years I realized how many times I was frustrated not being able to buy something or bring something due to inadequate space. Yes, it happens even on the simplest cruises or going to car shows. Someone, usually the wife or a buddy, is in the passenger seat so no room there. If you have no issues with that, especially if single, then go for it. You won't be sorry. That's a nice budget you have to get a decent one.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:50 AM
11 Second Club

My only drawback on the vette is no backseat. I think it's a good tradeoff. I still have the jeep which is kind of a 4 door convertible. I rarely use my back seat in the camaro. It's a pain when you have 3 passengers. Especially tall ones lol.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from ls1 f body's to a c6z,there is absolutely no comparison between the 2, the z does everything better
Old 06-26-2015, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Future mkIV supra owner here
Old 06-26-2015, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a few f-bodies, went to a C6, now I'm back to an f-body. The Vettes have their pros and cons depending on what you want to do and how far you want to go.

I loved my vette but it was at the threshold as far as power with a stock drive line. With the A6 it gets costly to make over 500 rwhp. That said the suspension is awesome. On bone stock suspension I was cutting my 1.5 60's. It was also a jack of all trades. I won a hat race on the street one weekend then a autox the next then grude raced it at the track then went on long road trips. I loved the car but sold it for financial reasons. There is a Vette tax on parts. I will own one again but for now the fact that a f-body is so cheap to make fast, it's fits my needs at the moment.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been doing a ton of research on the C5 and C6 lately. Long story short, I'll be relocating to Roseville CA next fall and I've made the decision to sell my SS due to it not being smog legal.

How do you guys like driving the vette compared to the F-Body? What do you miss the most when comparing the two?

I'm leaning towards C5 Z06. I think with a 25K budget I can pick up a nice one.

What do you guys think?
I was in the same situation as you, I had fbodys, trans ams, etc
I had bought an 08 vette LS3, it was nice , bolt on's etc but wanted more power, sold it and bought a modded procharged C5. To show the fact that just because it is an older model does not mean it out of the times. My car can keep up with just about anything out there.

Anyway with a vette repairs can be more costly, because it is a vette, but the driving experience is nice. Light weight and hugs the road, imo.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by corvet786c
I was in the same situation as you, I had fbodys, trans ams, etc
I had bought an 08 vette LS3, it was nice , bolt on's etc but wanted more power, sold it and bought a modded procharged C5. To show the fact that just because it is an older model does not mean it out of the times. My car can keep up with just about anything out there.

Anyway with a vette repairs can be more costly, because it is a vette, but the driving experience is nice. Light weight and hugs the road, imo.
Yea, I really enjoy my camaro for straight line but when it comes to cruising around it gets annoying. The cam is partly to blame but there are other things I don't care for anymore.

I test drove an 06 C6 and loved the way it drove/handled. I can only imagine the c5Z will be even better and more bang for the buck!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea, I really enjoy my camaro for straight line but when it comes to cruising around it gets annoying. The cam is partly to blame but there are other things I don't care for anymore.

I test drove an 06 C6 and loved the way it drove/handled. I can only imagine the c5Z will be even better and more bang for the buck!
C5Z is really good band for the buck. Really nice ones unmodded will run about $25,000 and modded lower than that. Check them over well and get a good one.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love both of mine. I daily the c6 more. The 4th gen is a beast.

Quick Reply: Any Vette owners out there that used to be F-Body guys?