General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Engine choice for a chevy c10?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine choice for a chevy c10?

Planning out my build for a 82-86 chevy c10 single cab short bed. These trucks can weigh anywhere between 3500-4000 pound to my understanding. I'm not looking for some 10 second truck, but something streetable and fun to drive that's reliable enough to take out a lot during the week. Should I LS swap it with a 5.3 and then do some bolt on's or just grab a blueprint 383 and have an engine shop build that up? Maybe a Big block? I just want enough torque and power to slam someone back in the seat and a big enough cam to make the thing lope like its angry
Old 07-31-2016, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

It all depends on your budget. I would say no on the 383, By the time you buy good heads and the stroker kit and pay to build it you'd be better off going LS. BBC is a good choice due to the weight of the truck but again it depends on your budget. Power comes at a price no matter what you go with.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
It all depends on your budget. I would say no on the 383, By the time you buy good heads and the stroker kit and pay to build it you'd be better off going LS. BBC is a good choice due to the weight of the truck but again it depends on your budget. Power comes at a price no matter what you go with.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...make/chevrolet

Already comes with everything besides the intake and carb etc. Would something like this be a good option? I was thinking either this or have a machine shop rebirth an old 454 or 5.3 with a turbo strapped to it
Old 08-01-2016, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

At almost $4k and not a forged build I wouldn't buy it myself. For that kind of money I would look at low mileage LS3 or go junk yard 5.3 with a turbo. Plenty of options out there better than that.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Your options are limitless. How about a 292 with a lump kit? Or a Cadillac 472/500? If you go LS I do suggest not just bolting in a used, stock engine like almost everyone does. Personally that makes me cringe. I've only lately decided that the LS is a good swap but not stock. These engines like modifications too much it seems like. A stock 5.3L doesn't make any more power than a mild 350 so if all you want is stock 5.3L power stay with the 350. I myself only decided to want to switch to an LS because they have good stock heads and can achieve big inches easier than to what people refer to as the gen I (technically not true if you count the V8 from the teens Chevy had). Anyways, for the class I want to do requires iron heads, stock block, and for my vehicle I have to run a small block. I'm not a Mopar or Ford guy, and the rest of the GM engines aren't technically small or big blocks so I kinda have to go LS if I want to have a chance.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:20 AM

Default C10 build

I have a 1980 C-10 and am currently building a LS 5.3 I bought off a guy who wrecked his 2005 Silverado the motor only had 70,000 miles but still tore all the way down and am in the process of building the LS. Just got the heads back last week. I helped a buddy do the same with a 72 C-10 and you will be very pleased with the outcome
Old 08-13-2016, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I'd do a 5.3 V8/with transmission and with a painless wiring kit, just rewire the whole truck with a prefabbed wiring harness made for this application. I'd just keep the engine stock with the stock cats because you have to pass emissions around where I live, maybe a tune with revised shift points and an intake as far as mods go.

Just personal preference, but I'd love a 67-72 truck with modern drivetrain and reliability, or a really nice two tone, 73-87 Chevy 1/2 ton Silverado with the nice newer drivetrain, just to tool around in every day and commute with. Doesn't have to be some crazy high horsepower build, or lift it to the sky with 35" tire type of build, hell I'd love a 2wd truck of that vintage with the newer starts every time even at 10 below zero engine at the stock ride height with some period correct 15" wheels and white letter tires.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

an m6 with a bolton ls1 should be fine for what you want.

decent power and mileage with excellent street manners.

Quick Reply: Engine choice for a chevy c10?