General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

NEED your ideas for my camshaft....LAMP

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default NEED your ideas for my camshaft....LAMP

I had my stock camshaft, stock rocker arm bolts, ls1 timing chain just sitting around for years. With a some help welding and the planatary gear to help make the base.....I have the main part of my lamp. We didnt make it perfect which is good since its "man cave" quality haha. So far I haven't spent a penny on this project, and my goal is as cheap as possible. It is going in my man cave which mainly car decor. I am needing a light/lamp shade ideas. There is a hole down the middle of the camshaft and room in the base to route the wires out. Let's hear the ideas!!!!

A little action welding shot haha
Old 02-07-2017, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

These lamps are awesome!
NoChrome just completed his and it looks amazing. Here's his thread, hope this helps

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...onversion.html
Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the thread! Yea they did turn out pretty sweet. I am looking mainly for ideas for a car themed lamp shade. I found a license plate type one that's pretty sweet on amazon. It's for the whole lamp for 40 bucks which is my worst case senerio at the moment. I was hoping maybe some utilized some parts or had other ideas as well

Keep them coming!
Old 02-08-2017, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I made mine a while back using 2 stacked filters, an old carb base and a new chrome top. Came out pretty nicely. I just made sure to use high output, low heat led bulbs because they both sit very close to the filter material lol.

NEED your ideas for my camshaft....LAMP-photo912.jpg
NEED your ideas for my camshaft....LAMP-photo895.jpg
Old 02-09-2017, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GENIUS! i want one.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im surprised there hasn't been somebody suggesting a certain cam company's solid roller
and another certain vendors ported intake to make the best light.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GtoProject
I made mine a while back using 2 stacked filters, an old carb base and a new chrome top. Came out pretty nicely. I just made sure to use high output, low heat led bulbs because they both sit very close to the filter material lol.

Attachment 566610
Attachment 566609
I do like the double stack air filter. This originally crossed my mind as a single air filter which I thought was tall enough, but this may do it.

Anybody else have cool ideas for lamp shades?
Old 03-22-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I知 doing one for school

Originally Posted by GtoProject

Attachment 566610
Attachment 566609
how did you do yours? Please let me know bc I知 doing one for school and was planning on using a single filter but now that i see yours I believe it would look better. I知 using a srt4 camshaft Bc it was free so it痴 not hollow. But my question is is how did you mount the light part and the filters?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Moore
how did you do yours? Please let me know bc I知 doing one for school and was planning on using a single filter but now that i see yours I believe it would look better. I知 using a srt4 camshaft Bc it was free so it痴 not hollow. But my question is is how did you mount the light part and the filters?
I don't see how you could even honestly do this with a solid cam. I mean, you could, but it would just look weird with the wire/switch coming out of the lampshade. I used some standard lamp parts to make it work. You can see the hollow all thread that houses the wire. The all-thread is held in place with washers and nuts holding both the top and bottom. This all-thread also holds the bulb socket bracket and the brackets I made for to hold the lower carb base. The pictures are pretty self explanatory. It's all actually really simple with the right parts.

NEED your ideas for my camshaft....LAMP-photo807.jpg

NEED your ideas for my camshaft....LAMP-photo319.jpg
Old 03-25-2018, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would've used a sbc flexplate on the base, looks good though

Quick Reply: NEED your ideas for my camshaft....LAMP