General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Squeeling noise im out of ideas HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeling noise im out of ideas HELP!!!!

OK so i have a 1999 trans am and Ive been trying to fix this squealing noise for about a month now its only there when its cold but when it heats up it goes away then i let it sit for an hour and it comes right back and the cycle repeats Ive changed both belts and all the idler pulleys and I'm out of ideas i don't know what else it could be i heard somewhere it might be the tensnor and i heard it could be the water pump (which i doubt) but if anyone has some clue to what it is help would be much appreciated thanks

Last edited by demontrey; 02-26-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could be altenator bearing or ac clutch bearing. Need to narrow it down by trying to hear it with stethoscope. What rpm range or all the time?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 270 Likes on 177 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The tensioners are known to crap out. Take off one belt and start the car. If the noise went away, it originates from the belt you took off. If the noise stays, then its source can be found on the one you didn't remove.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 76larkman
could be altenator bearing or ac clutch bearing. Need to narrow it down by trying to hear it with stethoscope. What rpm range or all the time?
its at all RPM ranges when i bring the RPMs up it gets louder and faster
Old 02-26-2015, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the tensioner. Happen to me, I bought a new one fixed the problem but then it came back because I was running a crappy Dayco belt, I actually shredded 3 belts. Will never buy an aftermarket belt again, went back to AC Delco never had a problem since then.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yep, tensioner. Mine is noisy when cold, fine when warmed up. Just living with it for now.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Alright Thanks for the help guys im gonna get the tensioner this saturday then and hopefully it fixes it *fingers crossed*
Old 02-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Alright so i changed the tensioner and its still the same i havent the slightest idea what else it could be ive practically changed everything already
Old 03-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Teching In

try your process with and without the ac compressor on?

On with defrost or AC, off if neither.... or turn the compressor off and on while its squealing and see if it makes any difference....

a automotive stethoscope may help, be careful not to get it caught up in the moving parts, eek!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive run into squealing caused by low power steering fluid. steering felt fine, but it made a terrible noise.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Teching In

ok so i fixed the problem. its odd though i went ahead and changed the belt again sinc i had warranty on it still since ive had it for less than a month its one of those dayco belts im geussing the old tensioner must have streched it out again since it was kinda bouncing and not holding down tight enough but still thats odd because i only had it for about a month if that so im probably gonna just get a gatorback belt too just to be on the safe side
Old 03-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by demontrey
ok so i fixed the problem. its odd though i went ahead and changed the belt again sinc i had warranty on it still since ive had it for less than a month its one of those dayco belts im geussing the old tensioner must have streched it out again since it was kinda bouncing and not holding down tight enough but still thats odd because i only had it for about a month if that so im probably gonna just get a gatorback belt too just to be on the safe side
Hey everyone! Brian from DAYCO here.

This sounds like a classic case of belt noise being caused by misalignment. Misalignment within the belt drive system is the No. 1 cause of belt noise. Typically, a tensioner, pulley, water pump, power steering pump, etc., is just a little bit out of alignment, causing the entire system to make noise. Hope this helps. And please reach out if you any questions. We'd like to help if possible.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BrianLWheeler
Hey everyone! Brian from DAYCO here.

This sounds like a classic case of belt noise being caused by misalignment. Misalignment within the belt drive system is the No. 1 cause of belt noise. Typically, a tensioner, pulley, water pump, power steering pump, etc., is just a little bit out of alignment, causing the entire system to make noise. Hope this helps. And please reach out if you any questions. We'd like to help if possible.
hey brian thaks for the reply i will look into that because i did just change the excitor cable on my alternator very recently and that's when it really just started squealing terribly but since ive put this new belt on it there hasn't been a sound so ima hold off til it starts doing it again. that's some good info to know tho thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Squeeling noise im out of ideas HELP!!!!