General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Should I sell my A4 98 Z28, for an M6 99-02 SS
Keep the car and start modding it.
18.18%
Go for the M6 SS, its your dream car anyway.
81.82%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Thinking of selling my car for an M6

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of selling my car for an M6

I have been thinking alot lately of selling my car to get an M6 SS. The only problem I see is I paid cash for my car so I dont make payments, and I know if I sell it I'm going to end up making payments on a loan for an SS. Also the car is in really good condition. Not to mention emotional attachment, the first two times I took this car bracket racing I won my class. So I know how good an auto can be for bracket racing, but I only make it to the track 1-3 times a year. I also put a stall converter in it but ended up taking it out 4 months later, as it turned out to be more of a pain then what it was worth, I live in a real mountenis(sp) area with stop lights on every corner and I hated having the car rev so high to get going. So all these things have got me thinking if I should sell the car to get a M6, or just start modding it since I will probably have to spend 3-5k more for an SS then I can get for my car if I sell it. I have always wanted an LS1 SS since I first saw one when I was 12. so should I sell my Z28 to get my dream SS, or keep it and mod it? Also the car is no longer my daily driver.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Also If I decide to sell the car it wont be till the summer. I tried selling it in December but didnt get no interest. I got some local interest but I live in small community, I couldnt stand seeing my car everyday if I sold it.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

M6 is more fun.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep your car and swap your tranny to a M6 setup, put an SS spoiler and a nice aftermarket hood on there and you've got the best of both worlds and get to keep the car you're attached to. I plan on doing the same thing to my Z soon for the same reasons, rather have an M6 over a stalled A4.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

M6 FTW :rock

it is ultimatly u're couce i would much have a factory SS M6 than a visually modded / tranny swapped z28 but thats just my 2 cents ....
Old 02-20-2007, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Get what you want. That's the only way you'll be happy. Either swap in the M6 trans or get an M6 car.

Personally I can't stand M6s, but that's just me. I'm all about the Auto. You have to go with whatever makes you happy though, can't worry about what other's like or dislike.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
M6 is more fun.
Ive had both, and honestly, sometimes you just dont feel like shifting, and others times, you wish you could just go slam some gears.

Since you live in a small town with lots of lights, youll probably start to miss the simplicity of the automatic.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Ive had both, and honestly, sometimes you just dont feel like shifting, and others times, you wish you could just go slam some gears.

Since you live in a small town with lots of lights, youll probably start to miss the simplicity of the automatic.

Yes.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer to this question. If you encounter any sort of traffic the manual is eventually going to **** you off. If you don't encounter any traffic, The Auto is going to **** you off because you can't tear through any gears.

Buy the Transmission you think you could live with most. Usually when people have ANY feelings about wanting to shift, I advise them to just get the manual now because usually those feelings don't subside. Nevertheless, read my last paragraph again.

Last edited by Ell Ess Won; 02-20-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find someone in your area willing to swap out for an M6, you'll be looking at about $1200 or so in labor and you have your M6. Get the hood/spoiler when you get more money. I'm in your EXACT position, paid for car, I like it, and I kinda have alot of money in it. I may switch out the stalled A4 for an M6 someday, but I think I'm just going to get a beater.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got rid of my previous LS1 car....stalled 01 TA with a cam and other mods, to buy my current car. I wanted the M6 so bad I took what USE to be my pride and joy for what NOW is my pride and joy. I had wanted a black on black WS6 M6 since the beginning of wanting an LS1 car. I got everything I ever wanted when I got rid of my pewter auto for my black car. No regrets here
Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

NO...NO...I am in my 40's and always have driven a stick..I HAVE NEVER FELT LIKE NOT SHIFTING...there are many of us out there. ...BTW--Are you reffering to me and a small town.???? 2-1/2 MILLION in the Lower Mainland where I live.???.???

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 02-20-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

NO...NO...I am in my 40's and always have driven a stick..I HAVE NEVER FELT LIKE NOT SHIFTING...there are many of us out there. ...BTW--Are you reffering to me and a small town.???? 2-1/2 MILLION in the Lower Mainland where I live.???.???
Ehhh, Im from Houston, 2 1/2 million is small

Then you either have something else that you drive on a regular basis, or you are one of those people that just swear muscle cars and manuals are the only way it should be, which is fine too.

No, I was referring to his 2nd post where he said he was from a small community and couldnt stand to see it everyday if he sold it.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Ehhh, Im from Houston, 2 1/2 million is small

No, I was referring to his 2nd post where he said he was from a small community and couldnt stand to see it everyday if he sold it.
OH...how many in Houston.??? there is over 5 mil in Toronto...and YES...I am one of those people....all manuals in this house.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If you really want a real SS, then putting a hood on it and all that is not going to cut it for you. You'll know it's not the real deal, that will bug you and you'll still want an SS.

But if that's not a huge deal, the other thing to do is to look at the economics of it. What is the difference between what you can get for your car and what the M6 SS will cost you? What would it cost you to convert your car to an M6? If converting costs less, then that makes sense, except for the fact it will add little value to your car whereas the SS will have a higher retained value. Those are the factors you have to balance out.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

OH...how many in Houston.??? there is over 5 mil in Toronto...and YES...I am one of those people....all manuals in this house.
5.3 million as of the census 2006, so you know how those numbers go. Stop lights galore, and when Saturdays traffic starts on Friday afternoon, sometimes and auto is nice, but like I said, sometimes I miss my old WS6.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Cars come and go, if you want something different go for it, and dont worry about loosin a little money, cars depreciate, gotta live for today
Old 02-21-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Swap in the 6 speed!
If u really want put on the hood and spoiler...
There is no real majic to an SS....it just had bolt on parts slapped on by SLP.
I'll take a modded Z28 over a stock SS any day!!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by subtlez28
Swap in the 6 speed!
If u really want put on the hood and spoiler...
There is no real majic to an SS....it just had bolt on parts slapped on by SLP.
I'll take a modded Z28 over a stock SS any day!!!!
and ill take a modded SS over a modded z28 anyday

But seriously if your in a mountain area and have tons of stoplights, you might want to reconsider the M6.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Right now my daily driver is a M5 88 S10, the lights dont bother me that much but sometimes it does get old. The traffic is also real bad here because its a small community with one road to get you anywhere, but alot of people have moved in, so its like having big city traffic in a small town. But we have tons of scenic roads, that would be fun to drive thru with an M6 car. I think I am going to wait till summer to try to sell my car, and if I cant get what I want to get for it then I'll probably end up swapping the transmission. I really would like a hugger SS because that was the color that caught my eye when I starte to like LS1 Camaros. From what I notice people ask around 14,000 for them and I would like to get 8,500 for mine. Thanks everyone and keep the comments coming.

Last edited by Mr. Trick; 02-21-2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-21-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I got rid of my previous LS1 car....stalled 01 TA with a cam and other mods, to buy my current car. I wanted the M6 so bad I took what USE to be my pride and joy for what NOW is my pride and joy. I had wanted a black on black WS6 M6 since the beginning of wanting an LS1 car. I got everything I ever wanted when I got rid of my pewter auto for my black car. No regrets here
Same here, Got rid of my bolt on A4 99 Z28 because I knew what I wanted, a black on black M6 hardtop vette. I knew if I didn't pick the color and transmission I wanted this time that I wouldnt be happy.