General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Whistling noise from around the roof area

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistling noise from around the roof area

Alright, I can't really take it anymore.....
guys what the hell is whistling around the driver's side of my car when I'm going down the road?
Nothing amiss and everything seems to be in adjustment like hood, doors, etc.
So what the heck is that noise? I'm ready to throw a hand grenade through the window and walk away.
It is usually around 55 on up I start hearing it and it gets progressively louder. Thanks
Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You got T-tops? if so they might not be on right, and if they are the weather stripping is not sealing to the back or upper part of the window right.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

It's the deer whistles on your front bumper; take them off and you'll be fine Hahaha
Old 04-08-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shinigami2x4
You got T-tops? if so they might not be on right, and if they are the weather stripping is not sealing to the back or upper part of the window right.
That'd be my guess too. My weather stripping isn't too great and I get some whistling and noise in general, it comes from where the window meets the T-Top for me.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shinigami2x4
yeah that is the funny thing the entire T-top is brand new on the passenger side where it seems to be coming from and the old one did it to! SO that would lead me to think my T-top is not sitting right, if old and new t-top are showing same symptoms right? Well I compared them to a bunch of other cars and they look just the same....but it is obvoiously the t-tops I guess. I don't know of any way to adjust the fitment of the tops without some sort of engineering fix. Anyone got ideas? thanks!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

You might be able to re-adjust the t-top fitment and make it fit a bit tighter. I've done this on my 3rd gen and it worked well. That car sounded like a tornado passing over and now its about 70% gone (I've only adjusted 1). Maybe someone on here has done this?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya, I would take the weather stripping off and clean it and put some type of silicone product on it to moisturize it and make a better seal.

BTW when I latch my Ttops they are very very snug almost feels like your gonna break it(exaggerating, but very snug) thats what it should feel like.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SHINER
Ya, I would take the weather stripping off and clean it and put some type of silicone product on it to moisturize it and make a better seal.

BTW when I latch my Ttops they are very very snug almost feels like your gonna break it(exaggerating, but very snug) thats what it should feel like.
Cool, GM has weatherstripping conditioner but it can be substituted with dialectric grease correct? My T-tops very much feel that way and fit extremely snug, but conditioning them can't hurt so I'll give it a whack for sure. That noise is so dammned abnoxious!

DubyaSsixTA you said you have adjusted them. Got any idea of where to start. I have the GM sevice manuals and I didn't see anything but I'm going to look again to make sure. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

You should be able to use dielectric grease because its all weather, doesnt stain, and keeps its characteristics pretty well.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Texass683
that sucks
yep...ah well!
Thanks for the tips! If anyone knows anything about adjusting the tops please fill me in!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI My car leaked horridly when I got it. Seals had NEVER seen the GM grease. I put some on it and now I can take it and powerwash it without more than 1 or 2 drops getting in and most times not even that does. Body is 100% straight and T-tops fit VERY snug. But I have a mild amount of wind noise. I dunno, nothing to worry with. I drove 90ish (1900rpm or so, love the T56) today and it was nice and quiet inside. Sounds odd.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
FYI My car leaked horridly when I got it. Seals had NEVER seen the GM grease. I put some on it and now I can take it and powerwash it without more than 1 or 2 drops getting in and most times not even that does. Body is 100% straight and T-tops fit VERY snug. But I have a mild amount of wind noise. I dunno, nothing to worry with. I drove 90ish (1900rpm or so, love the T56) today and it was nice and quiet inside. Sounds odd.
Man that big of a difference? I had already made my mind to condition them first but it's good to know that you got some results off of it. Hope I get the same! Thanks!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

There may be adjusters behind the pin-holes (the rear-facing one may require peeling back the headliner). If it's like the 3rd gen, you can unscrew the 2 bolts, slide the fitment thingy down towards the car to create a tighter fit, and tighten up the bolts. Again, this was on my raggedy 89 with no headliner, so I'm not positive on this.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DubyaSsixTA
There may be adjusters behind the pin-holes (the rear-facing one may require peeling back the headliner). If it's like the 3rd gen, you can unscrew the 2 bolts, slide the fitment thingy down towards the car to create a tighter fit, and tighten up the bolts. Again, this was on my raggedy 89 with no headliner, so I'm not positive on this.
SWEET, it's something to check....I appreciate the info!