General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Tcs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tcs?

My 98 doesn't have the switch for TCS, but if I hit a small amount of gravel/dirt going some what slow the "TCS LOW" light comes on, Is this Normal? or could the previous owner have taken the switch out and made the TCS stay on Permenatly? and How would I know if he did this?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Teching In

is the plate where the tcs switch would be still there
Old 05-20-2007, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't sound like it has TCS. When you lose traction, that light just tells you that your wheels are spinning. One way to tell is if your gas pedal kicks back up at your to prevent you giving it throttle. The dead nuts way is to look under the hood and see if you have the module right above the battery, and how many cables you have attached to your throttle body. 1 = TCS/ASR. 2 = No TCS/ASR. Two cables are throttle/cruise.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Launching!

No it doesn't have a peice there.

I don't have my car at current moment, its in the shop getting and exhaust
but If I remember correctly it only has one wire to the throttle body.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old '96 3.8 would have a light come on "low trac" whenever I went over the same things you describe above. Sounds like it may be the same thing.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Launching!

It has one Larger fat wire on the throttle body
and on the VERY bottom of the throttle body.

Does that mean TCS? or No? LOL
Old 05-22-2007, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
It doesn't sound like it has TCS. When you lose traction, that light just tells you that your wheels are spinning. One way to tell is if your gas pedal kicks back up at your to prevent you giving it throttle. The dead nuts way is to look under the hood and see if you have the module right above the battery, and how many cables you have attached to your throttle body. 1 = TCS/ASR. 2 = No TCS/ASR. Two cables are throttle/cruise.
I dont mean to steal the thread but I have 2 cables, does that mean I dont have TCS or that I dont have the option of turning it on and off?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001BlkWS6
I dont mean to steal the thread but I have 2 cables, does that mean I dont have TCS or that I dont have the option of turning it on and off?
You don't have it at all. Two cables are for throttle and cruise control. If you had TCS, you will only have one cable on your throttle body. The throttle cable from the pedal and the cruise control cable both run into the TCS module, then one cable runs from the module above the battery to the Throttle Body.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

You don't have it at all. Two cables are for throttle and cruise control. If you had TCS, you will only have one cable on your throttle body. The throttle cable from the pedal and the cruise control cable both run into the TCS module, then one cable runs from the module above the battery to the Throttle Body.
Well the thing is, I have the tcs button in my car behind the shifter boot but it didnt work and when I popped it out it had a wire connected to it. So I assumed it was messed up. The car has been t-boned and fixed back and I guess it was just put in there during the process of fixing it.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001BlkWS6
Well the thing is, I have the tcs button in my car behind the shifter boot but it didnt work and when I popped it out it had a wire connected to it. So I assumed it was messed up. The car has been t-boned and fixed back and I guess it was just put in there during the process of fixing it.

Thanks

Thanks stealing the thread..LOL
my answer is stilll out there.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Please look under your hood and see if you have the module right behind the battery. If it's not there, you don't have TCS. But from you description with the 2nd cable at the "VERY bottom of the throttle body", that means you don't have it. Your two cables are for throttle and cruise.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Thanks