General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stupid question

This is a dumb question, but i wanna ask it anyway.

I wanna go with longtubes and an offroad y on my 98 T/A. problem is im in PA and obviously we have emissions controls with cats being needed. I thought i read somewhere that for a 98 the test is just a visual inspection, and they dont actually read the cats. if this is true, could i just install gutted cats and use o2 sims? Are people doing this? Also i was thinking about getting crazy and getting a set of OBX headers off of ebay cause the price is too sweet for stainless. I see they have small resonators in the y-pipe that resemble small bullet cats. DO you think if i went with this setup and o2 sims id be ok for my yearly inspection/emissions?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-27-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you realize your going to have someone answer this who knows PA emmissions?....thats pretty much what your asking about the visual test...

if so yes you can just use gutted cats and o2 sims
Old 05-27-2007, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

This is right from the PA Code:

(d) Visual inspection of emission control system. Vehicles registered in counties where there is not an emission inspection program under Chapter 177 (relating to emission inspection program), shall be checked visually for the presence of emission control components. These components may be original vehicle equipment or an equivalent aftermarket replacement component meeting the same standards. In addition to the exceptions under § 175.4 (relating to vehicles required to be inspected), this subsection does not apply to vehicles registered as collectible or classic motor vehicles as defined in 75 Pa.C.S. § 102 (relating to definitions).

(1) The visual inspection shall be performed through direct observation or through indirect observation, using a mirror or other visual aid.

(2) Provided that the make and model year of the vehicle would have originally been equipped with the device, reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) The catalytic converter has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(ii) Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(iii) Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(iv) Fuel inlet restrictor has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(v) Air pump has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(vi) Evaporative control system components have been removed, disconnected or are the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

This is the whole section of inspection of the emissions system so it appears that they do not put a sniffer in the pipe. The other thing that will fail you is the SES light being on.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Launching!

i figured the o2 sims would prevent a light from happening?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fastvert
i figured the o2 sims would prevent a light from happening?
either that, or deleting the code using tuning.

But yea, unless the tech's have x-ray vision in PA, sticking gutted cats will pass the visual inspection
Old 05-28-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Come on it's PA, everybodys got a friend who could inspect their car for em.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not have to pass an emissions visual inspection because your car is newer than 1996. Technically, it is federally illegal to relocate or remove the stock cats. There is sort of a loophole in the PA regs that doesn't require 1996 or newer cars to pass a visual inspection as long as you are not throwing any codes. You will need to only pass a OBD check and a gas cap check and you will be fine. I know many people who have passed with ORY, LT's, ect. The regs posted above are the requirements to pass a visual inspection, which will not apply to you provided that you are not throwing codes. The visual inspection only applies to pre-1996 vehicles, as well as all vehicles that are in rural counties that otherwise do not require an emissions sticker. Check out the state website:

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/aq_apps/emissions/test.htm
Old 05-29-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so I live in FL and they dont do that here.What is the deal?Do they stop people and check their cars or do you have to go in like once a year and get checked or what?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the good info johnnyc. Looks like ill be going with longtubes and an offroad y with sims for sure now. Maybe ill see your car around, i go into the city a lot to visit friends in oakland and shadyside.