General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

would u ever buy a salvage tital car

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would u ever buy a salvage tital car

i'm look'n at a 01 m6 z28 with a salvage tital just wondering your opinions
Old 07-20-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would think that each case would be unique to the severity of the accident and the quality in which it was repaired. So very minimal accident (no frame damage etc) and a good repair job I would think you'd do alright.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

I would, and have, but it has to be a steal of a price, just because they are hard to sell later, no matter how well they run.

Last edited by WS6NIGHTMARE; 07-20-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your thinking about trying to buy it. Look at the tire ware, that is a good indicator if it was fixed right or not.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought my car with a salvage title.
It didn't get any frame damage, and they did a pretty good job putting it back together.
Paid $7,500 for it.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Launching!

NO. Back in the day I used to work for an auto body and went to the insurance auctions. I made sure not to buy the one's with salvage title as you had to give them away for someone to buy them. Plenty of clean title cars out there to choose from. No need to buy a "BRANDED" title.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

i had a salvage car.

selling it is like trying to get a date when you have scabies or herpes.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would buy one with a salvage title, but I never resell cars I buy, run them until I get 100% of the useable life out of them. Maybe even 110%, I have no qualms about running a car beyond what other people might consider useable life.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
i had a salvage car.

selling it is like trying to get a date when you have scabies or herpes.
But a side not it just depends on were the accident was and all of that other good stuff...As long as the frame isnt bent and you plan on keeping the car a while... Why not...
Old 07-20-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Intense
But a side not it just depends on were the accident was and all of that other good stuff...As long as the frame isnt bent and you plan on keeping the car a while... Why not...
Because you buy a mid mileage car for 9k, and try to sell it a month later...youre screwed, unless you find another putz like yourself to buy it.

Unless you can sell it for what you bought it for a month later, dont consider it. I know the cars arent an investment and all, but its nice to not have to take a hack on the price when selling it.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't, but i would if the price is low enough. Keep in mind, 90% of people will be scared away when they hear that. It doesn't matter why it has a salvaged title. So if you never plan on selling it or if its a really really good deal, go for it. Just keep in mind that you will get nothing for it down the road.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:25 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolfgang427
NO. Back in the day I used to work for an auto body and went to the insurance auctions. I made sure not to buy the one's with salvage title as you had to give them away for someone to buy them. Plenty of clean title cars out there to choose from. No need to buy a "BRANDED" title.

Only exception for me would be if I was making it into an all out drag car.
It would also have to be a steal of a price.

Otherwise no sense in screwing around with a car that is never going to sell as well or as easily as one with a clean title.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

personally i wouldnt, because to be honest i kind of have a lot of $. But this one time i saw an 02 SOM WS6 w/ salvage title. only 11K miles for really cheap. I think like 14K. i would of jumped on that like none other if i was really on a tight budget.

Every situation is different, just depends.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on why it was declared salvage. If damage was minimal and $ was right then yes. But I would keep it.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ino
Depends on why it was declared salvage.
That's the key.

Salvage from a wreck? Hell no. The car will never be the same. It will creak, it will rattle, body panels won't line up like they should, etc. Little stuff that will **** you off, and will make you think everyday, "I could have had a Camaro the way a Camaro was built."

However, it is fairly common practice to salvage cars for bad engines/transmissions. I bought a 1992 Lumina Z34 5-speed with a salvaged title. No one would even look at it at the auction, they saw "Title: Salvage" and kept walking. I read closer, and walked away after an $800 check. Went home with a perfect condition car, bought a crate motor for $1200, and sold the car a few weeks later for $3500. Not bad at all.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

I'm somewhat undecided I mean buying one that was repaired correctly and runs/looks good for a steal price sounds good but it will never run like new(if frame damage occurs), but like they say you would wanna keep that car till it rotts, but I heard that you would not be able to classify that car as a "classic" in the future,I've heard of old muscle cars with the car registered as a "classic" heck many years from now those z28/SS are going to be classics. anyone got any info on that, classifying the car as a classic with a salvaged title.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWS

Only exception for me would be if I was making it into an all out drag car.
It would also have to be a steal of a price.

Otherwise no sense in screwing around with a car that is never going to sell as well or as easily as one with a clean title.
My thoughts exactly
Old 07-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Get the car inspected. If the frame is good, all the moving parts are good, and the body is straight, then go for it. I was considering buying a local low mileage WS6 for like 6.5k. It just needed to have new front quarters, hood, bumper, and maybe some radiator core support. Not too bad of a deal.

Just double check to make sure that the car isn't stolen or something stupid. $10 carfax never hurts.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

How much does the Average clean title 2002 WS6 or SS go for with around 50k on the clock and very clean nowadays>> 14k-20k dollars ... Average Rebuilt title F-body same description 7k to 11k... there an easy way for people to get in a nice car they cannot normally afford. But I do agree, see if you can find some Pictures of the car before the repairs and find out who did the work.

Im in the buisness and Some times I wonder how the hell people got there insurance to totall the vehicle(Minor damage like small dents!) and other times I wonder why the hell they didnt give it a Certificate of Destruction.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by yzblue125
How much does the Average 2002 WS6 or SS go for with around 50k on the clock and very clean nowadays>> 12k-20k dollars Rebuilt title cars are an easy way for people to get in a nice car they cannot normally afford!
Ya, but I think most in here would say for this car, 6k would be a steal, it would, if it wasnt salvage. When those of us who have dealt with them say "for the right price", we mean in the competitive price range of dirt.