General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Can't open car

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't open car

Long story short:

Locked the doors, disconnected the battery, then shut the hood.

For some reason I can't get the ignition key to work in the doors. Is it supposed to? The key is the kind with one flat side and the grooves on the opposite. If nobody has any suggestions could I just have a cop or pop-a-lock company come unlock it for me?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ignition key is just for that: ignition. You should have another key (with round end) for the doors.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Police do not open locked car doors anymore.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Hey same thing happened to me! You can't open the door with the ignition key, theres another one like somebody said with the round head, i could not even open the car with that one, it would not turn, so i made it turn at at last it open! Call a tow truck they do those things, is real easy though i would say it but i would get banned or something!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pry the window out from the frame. Get a coathanger and try to snag the door lock and open it.

EDIT: I wasn't very clear on this. CAREFULLY mush the weatherstripping down with your fingers, on the middle top part of the t-top. Get your fingers behind the glass and CAREFULLY pull the glass back from the weatherstripping. Then get your coathanger(or similar tool) that you have straigtened out and put a little hook on the end. Fiddle with that until you manage to get the door open.

I broke into my car using a stick I found by pressing the unlock button on the door.

Last edited by AronZ28; 04-04-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have t-tops then your door key is the same as our t-top key..
Old 04-04-2008, 04:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Read the VIN# off the dash and any dealership can cut you a simple door key without all the electronics built in it. That's what I did and I carry it in my wallet all the time.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Read the VIN# off the dash and any dealership can cut you a simple door key without all the electronics built in it. That's what I did and I carry it in my wallet all the time.
I second that...
Old 04-04-2008, 05:51 AM
Teching In

Man, I was hoping I was just using the key wrong or something. Naturally I keep the t-top key in the center console. I'll see what I can do this afternoon.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

no spare set?

Regardless if you disconnected the battery or not, your remote should still work. The car doesn't forget remotes.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Herbal Chicken
Man, I was hoping I was just using the key wrong or something. Naturally I keep the t-top key in the center console. I'll see what I can do this afternoon.

Thanks for the replies.
LMAO!! That sux!! Good luck.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Yeah but if the battery is still disconnected there's no way for the car to recieve the signal, let alone act on it. So the Remote won't work unless the battery is reconnected.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thecorrectformula
Yeah but if the battery is still disconnected there's no way for the car to recieve the signal, let alone act on it. So the Remote won't work unless the battery is reconnected.
Bingo.

There's no way to open the hood without cutting anything is there?
If I could just get the hood open I would be good.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
...Regardless if you disconnected the battery or not, your remote should still work. The car doesn't forget remotes.
Wong. Battery dead means no remote, electric locks need power. Now when you have juice back on, the car will remember the remotes.

This is where AAA comes in handy.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Pry the window out from the frame. Get a coathanger and try to snag the door lock and open it.

EDIT: I wasn't very clear on this. CAREFULLY mush the weatherstripping down with your fingers, on the middle top part of the t-top. Get your fingers behind the glass and CAREFULLY pull the glass back from the weatherstripping. Then get your coathanger(or similar tool) that you have straigtened out and put a little hook on the end. Fiddle with that until you manage to get the door open.

I broke into my car using a stick I found by pressing the unlock button on the door.

I would do this

OR give the police or sheriff a call. around here they will still unlock doors for free. If they are busy it might take awhile before they can get to it.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

When this happened to me the way I took care of it was like this. I pulled my glass back enough to where I coud wiggle my hand in there. Once my hand was far enough through the glass I reached up and undid the T-Top and pulled it off. Then I just reached over and unlocked the door. Cha Ching. If you T-Top is locked then your SOL. I never lock mine so it was kinda easy, but kinda painful.

Of course this was all after the broom stick, coat hanger, and whatever else I could find. i finally got pissed and just yanked the glass out so I could get my hand in there. My are looked messed up after it but hey I got into my car .
Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

When this happened to me the way I took care of it was like this. I pulled my glass back enough to where I coud wiggle my hand in there. Once my hand was far enough through the glass I reached up and undid the T-Top and pulled it off. Then I just reached over and unlocked the door. Cha Ching. If you T-Top is locked then your SOL. I never lock mine so it was kinda easy, but kinda painful.

Of course this was all after the broom stick, coat hanger, and whatever else I could find. i finally got pissed and just yanked the glass out so I could get my hand in there. My arm looked messed up after it but hey I got into my car .
Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Banned

Eat a slim jim, you know those tasty beef snacks
Locked my keys in once, prying the glass and pushing the electric button doesn't work.
I guess those healthy slim jims made my mind come up with a better plan and I had it open in less than three minutes.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dude.. you honestly shoved a key with passkey into a door lock?

i sure hope you didn;t ruin it.

for future reference:

ignition key is for ignition
door key is for door

a child could break into one of these cars... just pull the window back and either open the door.. or unlock the t top
Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

Were I live the police still unlock doors. Just call them, its free.