General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Possible Scammer alert!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible Scammer alert!!

We are still investigating this. My buddy Bill is trying to buy a truck. We saw this in Auto trader online, listed for $7,000. The ad has since been removed. We found the exact same pics (with different seller) located on www.texasdirectauto.com listed for $14,000. Bill had already emailed the contact from the auto trader info.
Here is that email:

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 16:40:49 -0700
Subject: Re: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 CHROME TRIM $7000
To: Bill's email addy removed by me

Hello,
Sorry for the phone number listed in the ad, it was from my credit card info.
The car is still for sale. It hasn't been involved in any accidents or incidents and it has a clear title. I haven't experienced any mechanical/electrical problems with it.
I had to relocate to Canada a couple of weeks ago but the car is still in the states (Houston TX). I sell it cheap because I want to get rid of it I don't want to ship it over here and register it.I have just bought a brand new BMW 330i and I alredy love it.I could come there to meet you if you are a serious buyer.
Email me for any questions you may have.
Thank you,
Marlene Peck

sellyourcar@autotrader.com wrote:
***VEHICLE LEAD***

The following lead was generated from AutoTrader.com's web site at http://www.autotrader.com. The listing is provided by AutoTrader magazine.
To view the vehicle, click the link below:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=240659212

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Dodge
Model: Ram 1500 Truck
Year: 2004
Price: 7000
Mileage: 62827
Body Style: Truck
Color: Black
Cylinders: 8 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission: Automatic
Doors: Four Door
Stereo: Unavailable
VIN: 1D7HA18D44S760218
Description: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT - Lone Star Edition - HEMI - Lots of Chrome!! Only 62K Miles!! 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd (5.7L 8cyl 5A) with Black Clearcoat Exterior, Dk. Gray Interior. Loaded with 20 Inch Wheels, Alloy Wheels, Manual Horizontal Sliding Rear Window, Fog Lights, Bed Liner, Leather Steering Wheel Trim, 4-Wheel ABS, Chrome Exterior Trim Package, Bed Rails, Side Steps, Cruise Control, Tonneau Cover, AM/FM/CD Audio and.For more info please email me.Thank you. Updated by backend script. Updated by backend script.

BUYER INFO
Name: Bill
E-Mail Address: Addy removed by me
Comments: I would really like to take a look at this vehicle. Can you please email me as soon as possible. I'll be waiting. Thanks alot. Later.
Zip Code of Sender: unavailable

We then contacted sales at Texas direct auto, with the VIN # listed in Mrs. Peck's email and were informed that the picture's shown on the Auto trader ad were taken by them, but that the truck had not been listed by them on auto trader, and that the truck had in fact been sold for their asking price of $14,000.

Just wanted to put this out for all to see.
Buyer BEWARE!!!!

If it seems too good to be true, it is!!!

KevinD
Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And what exactly does a Autotrader scammer have to do with LS1tech???

Is the seller a member on here?? Tried to scam on here?? If not this is a pointless post.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Not LSx related.

If everyone posted every possible auto-selling scam they found on the Internet, this forum wouldn't be able to hold all the posts.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup... 04 Hemi Ram w/62K miles for $7K. Sure... Why did your buddy Bill even bother?

I sense a lock coming, anyway...
Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I know it's not LSX related. Just wanted to point out how this is being done, so that if this person, or anyone else, does this with a LSX type vehicle, folk would be aware of it. Sorry if that offends you. I feel that I have been on this board long enough to post this type of info, if not, I simply won't post anymore General info.

Best regards, KevinD
Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I also experienced the same thing two days ago with a low mile 300ZX. It read like this:
Hi there,

I must apologize for the delay in response, but I'm literally overwhelmed by the number of offers.
I have recently relocated to Salerno, Italy.
The car is here as well. I can and will arrange transportation to US for FREE at your home address and full insurance during shipping!!!
As you probably noticed, the price is rather low.
But since it's a US registered vehicle, will cost me a fortune to register here so i decided to sell it back in US.
Genuine reason for sale: the registration of the car here will cost me up to $5,000.00
Due to amount involved, I only accept third party protection offered by the shipping company.
The car is in excellent condition, clear title, the engine is immaculate, no leaks, no accidents, no dents or hidden defects. I have uploaded some info and pictures with the car here: http://www.geocities.com/mark57black/nissan/300zx.html
I am willing to let the car go for $4,000.00
I have my US cell phone with me so if you want to call me, you can find me at # (214) 296-9307
Please let me know if you're interested so I can provide you with further details regarding the transaction.

Thank You !
Old 04-10-2008, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

It's just the basic point of it has nothing to do with a member on here being scammed by another member or anything else to do with Ls1tech. Your thread title implies that you are being scammed on this site but your thread is not.

Everyone with a head on their shoulders knows there are car scams out there including Ebay, Craiglist & Autotrader listings. The ol' term "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" applies. If it looks like a unbelievable listing for the item 99% chance its gonna be some type of scam. People just need to use common snese in these situations & no even bother with the stuff.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Like I said, no problem. Won't post this type of thread again. Mod's please lock. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

I have also seen these kinds of scams. One time a guy tried to scam me on a Yamaha R6. Same type of thing, guy moved then he wanted me to send it western union to somone elses name. Glad you guys didnt fall for it.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

This is NOT The Customer Service Department.