General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS engines too new for auto parts stores?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default LS engines too new for auto parts stores?

I have a quick rant, just something that ticked me off recently. My car developed an exhaust leak that seems to be coming from the end of the Y pipe. I figured that I would replace the gaskets between the header flanges and heads while I was messing with the exhaust.

Going through the autoparts stores I was disturbed to find that parts for our engines aren't stocked at the local Advanced, Autozone, etc. These engines have been around for over 10 years now! The stores could order gaskets, but it was a 2 to 4 day wait. Call me impatient, but I expect a large chain store to actually have parts for this popular engine on the shelf now. It's not like I'm replacing a cam in a Renault Fuego!

To make me feel even better about my search, the kid at the counter of one of the stores asked me "Is your Z28 a 6 cylinder or V8 engine?" Ughhhhhh!
Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't know frustrating until you walk into the store wanting a part for your LS1 and they adamantly demand to know what car it's for. They give me strange looks when I tell them 88 RX-7.

But if you need a GM part right away, you could go to your local stealership...
Old 06-04-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...I've been asked at the parts counter weather or not my car had a V8..Even after I told them "VIN G"..You see,most parts counter folks consider what they do to be nothing more than another retail job..They might as well be selling shoes..In all fairness,even the ones that take it more seriously may still not be "car" guys..& they can't keep track of every possible optional engine & it's corresponding option package..They just see what's on the screen & never want to take anything for granted..Retail HATES pissed off people who were sold the wrong **** because the parts guy assumed something..Hell..far too many dip **** customers don't even know what engine they have in their "buy here,pay here" POS..You ask them what kind of car they have & they say "A blue one"..
My solution is to have a parts hookup with my local GM dealer..& if I have to get parts from somewhere else,I go to NAPA. They tend to be the most competent..Since that's who the repair shops use.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^+1 I dont expect most of these guys to know their *** from a hole in the ground. You would like to think that when you need something for a Z28 or a SS they wouldnt have to say "Chevrolet, right?" But they do... As many people that have to have parts for their cars I'm sure I am not the only one that has ever had to have a part for a Z.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea in the oreillys i have neer by they never have any 6.0 head gaskets even when i use about 2 pairs per week i have to buy them at the same time and keep them my self in stock because a multi million dollar company will not have them in stock
Old 06-04-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I should have know that I would be in trouble since I got the same treatment during my 5.0 Mustang days. "What brand cams do you carry for an '89 Mustang GT?" response was "Is that dual overhead cams?" as he looked up info on the computer.

I try to order from Jeg's or Summit or more recently from Ebay or Site Sponsors, but my friend works at a parts store and can get a pretty good discount. Unfortunately, the store is 40 minutes away so I research it locally and give him the Part Number.

I guess I have to look at these stores as just another retail job for most people. Thank God they stock shiny panther stickers and door lock protectors!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Launching!

I've actually noticed this myself at the O'reilly I work at. I've corrected the problem a little by buying some parts myself which has put them in the computer as sellable at this location, but I had to order a thermostat, alternator, and if needed would have to order a starter.

Oddly enough, the one thing I've found that we keep on the shelves is window motors. I'll be needing one shortly anyway.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Haha, the advanced in my town has a bunch of guys with rice burners. I overheard the kid one time talking about swaping the engine to the back of his eclipse, really makes me feel confident in him. The only thing I buy there is wax and microfiber towels.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

I generally volunteer as much pertinent info as I can ahead of time when at the parts counter. "I need a xxxx for a 1999 Pontiac Firebird V8".

The only recent "bonehead" incident I've had with a parts person was 2 weeks ago at Advance. I got a gift card from there for my birthday, and I figured I'd try to see if I could get lucky and score a thermostat there. All they had was stock temperature, which would have to be ordered. When I declined, the guy tried to sell me on a SBC thermostat, when I explained the difference in 'stats between the SBC and GENIII he was just like "Oh, ok. I didn't know that. Thanks!"
Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

them places are full of idiots... the only way I go in there is for cleaning stuff or if i already have the part number for what I need...
bunch of dumbasses..
Old 06-04-2008, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

What do you expect, the people that work there are cheap labor. If I need a part that I think a reg auto store wont carry or understand what I'm talking about I go to my local machine shop/parts store
Old 06-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Banned

They can get it next day at my store or same day at GM. Just my opinion, you shouldn't be bitching about not finding exhaust gaskets at the stores you mentioned, You need to use GM MLS gaskets there, and if you alreay have MLS gaskets they shouldn't need to be replaced just for the hell of it.

What pisses me off is the fact they keep the pass side exhaust manifold to cat gasket in stock but not the drivers side. Every one I've taken off tears the drivers side but the pass side is always reuseable.

What also pisses me off is people who took an LS1 out of a 2001 camaro and swapped into an S10 or something and go tell the counter person they need a intake gasket set or whatever for a 2000 S10 with an LS1. Why be a dick just order it for the car it came out of.

What also pisses me off is when I just applied online for a job at Autozone, you should see their customer service policy. THAT is a ******* joke after you've been in the store and see how you really get treated.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

pisses me off when even the dealers dont stock normal parts. you gotta wait a day or two.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I work in auto parts most of our guys are ok most ase certified or going to be.
Its a PITA job sometimes if you come up to me and ask I need a gasket for a sbc I at least as the year or gen to get a baseline but i get people that ask me for motor parts for there red ford? They don't know a damn thing about it or what motor is in it and they didn't drive it so they just expect me to know and get all pissed when i ask basic questions to try to figure out what it is.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i used to work a Oreilly auto parts while going to mechanic school so the customers I would help they keep coming back because I knew my stuff. But we use to call autozone with the retards over there and asked them all kinds of dumb stuff.

Once we said we had a 1988 DeLorean and we wanted a price on a flux compassator

they guy at autozone looked in his computer and said he didnt stock that kind of part.

I was like do you even have a listing for that car??
Old 06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

^ Lmfao
Old 06-04-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i hate most of the auto parts stores around here i would preferably to the dealer but there price's are to high for me. You think when you tell them your cars a Z28 six speed they would all ready know its a V8
Old 06-04-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would love to go to the dealership and order exactly what I need, but the only local Chevy dealership treated me like a leper when I was in the showroom. My friend and I had just gotten off of working on an aircraft in 98degree temperature so yes, I looked a bit rough but I had money in the bank and credit good enough to let me walk out with a Corvette after a healthy down payment.

After that treatment I said screw the local dealership, I'm going to suffer through local stores or mail order.

My parting shot is a good one: The absolute best idiocy I've encountered happened a few years ago when I inquired about a clutch fork and after answering make, model, year, and engine, "Is that stick or auto?"
Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol sometimes its just a joke going to places like that
Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 PM

I agree. Trying to get the part you are looking for at one of the chain auto parts stores can sometimes be a challenge. For the OEM replacement parts such as gaskets, emblems, and some bolts and fasteners I go to the largest Chevy store in Indianapolis. They almost always have the part I need in stock, or they can tell me who has the part i'm looking for in stock. The other great thing is I don't have to hear...does that Camaro have a 350 in it? Or...What transmission does your Z06 have? The guys at the dealership are good. OEM parts are a little more expensive, but the level of service is far superior and worth the extra cost for me.

I guess I have been spoiled over the years when buying performance parts from Texas Speed, Speed Inc, Thunder Racing, WS6 Store, SLP and MTI. The level of knowledge and professionalism that these companies have exibited has raised the bar for my expectations of customer service.