General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC question - '01 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC question - '01 WS6

My 2001 WS6 AC is out. I just had the freon topped off, and the lines checked. The compressor does not kick on when I turn on the AC at the dash switch...the car itself has 102K miles on it, so I would expect the compressor to be a possibility, but I hope not.

Is there a chance that it is just the AC compressor relay that is bad? I guess it wouldnt hurt to switch that out and see if it fixes it...what say you?

Is it likely it is just a bad relay? $16 vs $200-$400.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

i would say check the compressor switch first. hopefully its bad and it will be an easy fix.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fuse.
Check the relay pins, make sure they are getting power.

Check the condition of the condenser plug and the pressure sensor plug.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

does your cruise control work? I might be completely off on this one but I think the cruise and a/c run off the same fuse or relay, someone correct me please if I am mistaken
Old 10-12-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
does your cruise control work? I might be completely off on this one but I think the cruise and a/c run off the same fuse or relay, someone correct me please if I am mistaken
Your'e all around it, I think it is actually the fuel pump, and AC compressor that run off of the same KIND of relay switch and/or fuse. Its less than $20 bucks at the store, Im just gonna switch out the fuse and relay switch and see if it corrects it. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
You are correct.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
You are correct.
Your ARE corrrect and whats weird is my a/c was not blowing cold while traveling to a car show and my cruise control was working fine. Found out later after I looked into why my a/c wasn't blowing cold and found the a/c compressor relay was bad. The way I found out was swapping the fuel pump relay with the a/c compressor relay because they are the same relay and whala the car would only crank and not start. So, I then took another relay from the other fuse box that was the same and put it in the fuel pump side and the car started and a/c blew nice and cold right away. Went to the local Chevy dealer and either the guy behind the parts counter didn't know what he was doing or you just can't get the correct relay from them. The one that he said cross referenced to was square in shape and not rectangle shape. The was no way even though it may have been correct relay that it was going to fit in the fuse box. There is only room for the smaller rectangle (original) shape relay. The dealer price was going to be $26.08. Checked with Auto Zone and if you can find one they list for 19.99 So, I got on Ebay and bought five of them today for $50.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PMCSPIDER
Your'e all around it, I think it is actually the fuel pump, and AC compressor that run off of the same KIND of relay switch and/or fuse. Its less than $20 bucks at the store, Im just gonna switch out the fuse and relay switch and see if it corrects it. Thanks.
Not Correct!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Holy back from the grave batman.

Quick Reply: AC question - '01 WS6