General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

shaky mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shaky mirrors

I'm sure everyone knows about the shaky mirrors syndrome f-bodies have. With poly motor mounts and trans mount, the mirrors shake even worse. Anyone think of a way to reduce the shakiness the mirrors have? Little **** like this is why f-bodies are known to be a lesser quality car.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Launching!

I got the same problem. I don't know if it'd fix anything, but I've been meaning to take off the triangle on the interior side of the door to see if there's any screws I can tighten.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Naw, its not the housing that shakes, its what the mirror is mounted to inside the housing that shakes. I wonder if you can take the mirror off.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Yep, the mirror assembly can be taken apart.

Remove the assembly from the car (three bolts + one wire)
Gently pry the mirror to its extremes, and you'll see torx screws behind it. Three in total if I remember correctly. Remove those

The entire mirror+motor-assembly should now pretty much fall out of the housing.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for that, now just have to find a way to solidify it.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Mine had actually popped off the center pivot, so I just had to press it back into place, and the shaking got _a lot_ better (could hardly see anything in it before).

Apart from that, some pieces of rubber washers should probably help a bit as well with vibrations.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My driver side mirror housing shakes a bit. It's not the mirror itself, the whole damn thing moves a bit. I taken the plasitc cover off the inside of the door, but the bolts are as tight as they can get. Is there anything else I can do to try and fix this?

Marc
Old 10-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Launching!

It's pretty much the same procedure.

Actually, it's the mirror assembly that attaches to the car, and the plastic cover attaches to the mirror.

So, if your cover vibrates, but not the mirror, it's the screws inside the cover that needs tightening, not the ones in the door.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks... I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Launching!

How do i go about intalling just the glass in the mirror, when I bought the car the driver mirror shook real bad. So, I popped it off so it didnt fall off on the drive home and im unsure how it goes back in place. the little plastic clips in the middle of the mirror dont line up. Im thinking it might not be the right mirror? any suggestions?
Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TA-Swede
It's pretty much the same procedure.

Actually, it's the mirror assembly that attaches to the car, and the plastic cover attaches to the mirror.

So, if your cover vibrates, but not the mirror, it's the screws inside the cover that needs tightening, not the ones in the door.
There is a plastic triangle mounting piece between the mirror and the door which then attaches the the bolts you see on the inside of the car behind the triangle trim piece. This plastic mounting piece typically cracks at the top corner and causes the entire mirror body piece to shake. Fixing it is tough, but can be done with some JBWeld and Superglue.

If you over-tighten the bolts on the inside of the car, you will make this piece break faster. I recommend about hand tight.

Quick Reply: shaky mirrors