General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car running alot hotter than usual

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car running alot hotter than usual

This passed month or so my car has been running alot hotter than it usual does. It used to cruise on the highway around 180, then this passed month its been staying at 210, and last night it almost went into the red. I parked it for a while and the fan ran awhile after the car was off. Also I forgot to mention when the car started running at 210 only one fan runs, is this normal? I checked the coolant level and its normal, I checked if anything was obstructing the radiator and it was good. My car is a 98 so I understand the temp gauges work on 98's. My car isnt my dd, but its making me upset that I cant drive it three miles with out it getting hot. Also before anyone says anything when the car started running hotter than normal, everyone I talked to said thats how these cars run, its just last night that it got alot worse.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the thermostat is not opening? Have you ever replaced it?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be getting both fans at the same time, either low or high. Fans running after the car is turned off for a couple minutes is definitely a sign it's overheating, unless it's been tuned to have them stay on. If I remember correctly my '01 helms says they'll stay on with the ignition off if the PCM sees 284*? Look for the easy things first, radiator cap holding pressure, thermostat, both fans coming on, etc.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was doing the same. It was gradually getting hotter each time I drove it. I replaced the thermostat, problem solved. I did have both fans coming on though, so I'm not too sure about having just 1 fan come on. Be sure you bleed the air bubbles out after you refill the coolant.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
This passed month or so my car has been running alot hotter than it usual does. It used to cruise on the highway around 180, then this passed month its been staying at 210, and last night it almost went into the red. I parked it for a while and the fan ran awhile after the car was off. Also I forgot to mention when the car started running at 210 only one fan runs, is this normal? I checked the coolant level and its normal, I checked if anything was obstructing the radiator and it was good. My car is a 98 so I understand the temp gauges work on 98's. My car isnt my dd, but its making me upset that I cant drive it three miles with out it getting hot. Also before anyone says anything when the car started running hotter than normal, everyone I talked to said thats how these cars run, its just last night that it got alot worse.
You have fan troubles, they always come on and off together.

Did you almost go into the "red" while cruising on the highway, or in the city? If it overheated on the highway you have some other troubles too. You dont need fans when cruising on the highway, the front air dam does all the cooling needed.

If it got hot when driving in the city, its the fans.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

In the city is when it almost went into the red. The car still has original hoses and t-stat, and raditor cap. I'm going to change them this weekend and see what up the the fans.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
In the city is when it almost went into the red. The car still has original hoses and t-stat, and raditor cap. I'm going to change them this weekend and see what up the the fans.
If the t-stat is not opening, you will overheat on the highway or in the city, rather quickly. Check the fans and see whats up before spending monmey and time on anything else, because they MUST come on together and operate together at both low and high settings.

My WS6 is 10 1/2 years old and has all the original hoses. T-stat is 6 years old. Radiator cap is 2 years old and has a pressure release level on it.

Can't hurt to get a new cap and t-stat, but if you are getting hot in the city, its almost certainly a fan issue. If you can run cool on the highway, that also points to a fan issue in the city.

Last edited by LS6427; 10-27-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

the temp sensor on the side of the head was my problem. fans would only come on when my a/c was on

Quick Reply: Car running alot hotter than usual