General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering wheel wobbling =\

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 03:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel wobbling =\

Hey guys I'm havin a problem here. My steering wheel moves up and down when you pull on it and it feels like the whole column moves with it. I wouldn't care normally but I'm about to put a Grant wheel on and I wanna go head and fix it. Also, I was told that the wobbly columns will mess up the VATS which is believable because I've already had to pay $280 to have a VATS short fixed and the problem is comin back a year later. What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance
Old 10-31-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need to fix the tilt column mechanism, which is incredibly complex. It's expensive to get a dealer to do it, but if you do a search online, there is pretty much no chance that a regular person could do it right. (Many small parts, complex assembly, etc.)
Old 10-31-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rebuilt my column, completely. It took about 5 hours. Removed every part. Cleaned and checked it out. Replaced what was needed.

Can the wheel be pushed around in all direction? Up, down, left, right? Or it is only up and down?

Does it only do it in certain tilt positions?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Just a question. Can't you just replace the whole column from a donor then just swap the lock mechanism?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by samson_420
Just a question. Can't you just replace the whole column from a donor then just swap the lock mechanism?
Some of us are just different I guess.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Why?

A column with a Key is about 100 Bucks or so. . . So you could just swap it in and not even take the lock cylinder out.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Well it only wobbles up and down for the most part. I would get a dealer to do it but I'm broke. I'm very mechanically inclined though so I just need to know what to fix and I can probably do it. I'm in a "fix up all the small things wrong with my car" mode. I've fixed PS, AC, Mounts, lowbeams, etc lol So now this wobble is next on my hitlist
Old 10-31-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

It can be involved and difficult to rebuild the column. The hardest part for me is always depressing the tilt spring. It is a nice beefy one! But after a couple of rebuilds its a cake walk.

Thing is that it could be the tilt pawl mechanism. Try it in each tilt position and see if it does it in each spot! You can't really fix the tilt mechanism easily.

The other thing it could be is the base of the tilt mechanism is loose. You have to pretty much break the column down 100% to fix it.

The book price is around 300 to fix at a dealer.
There is a guy in Fort Wayne Ind that does it for about 70 plus parts.

This link is helpful!
http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/sh...tyle=printable
Old 10-31-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

I would yank one off a donor. . . You have to pick you batles, this one I would throw back.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samson_420
I would yank one off a donor. . . You have to pick you batles, this one I would throw back.
i would agree though instead of taking the switch cyl out of the new column your wanting to put in the car u could ..........
1. take your old key figure out the vats number...
2. buy a new key with your old vats number
3. get new key cut to new switch cut from new column, that way you keep the same vats but its a new key and new column and your set ...
thats what i have been planning to do to my camaro but havent got a chance to do it yet. My tilt is shot to where my high beams wont even click on unless the tilt is all the way down sucks Someone before me used my steering wheel as a (ol grab) handle when getting in and out of the car, i guess lol
p.s. i got my info from a fellow ls1tech member who helped me out on my similar questions as well.....
Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CULATR
i would agree though instead of taking the switch cyl out of the new column your wanting to put in the car u could ..........
1. take your old key figure out the vats number...
2. buy a new key with your old vats number
3. get new key cut to new switch cut from new column, that way you keep the same vats but its a new key and new column and your set ...
thats what i have been planning to do to my camaro but havent got a chance to do it yet. My tilt is shot to where my high beams wont even click on unless the tilt is all the way down sucks Someone before me used my steering wheel as a (ol grab) handle when getting in and out of the car, i guess lol
p.s. i got my info from a fellow ls1tech member who helped me out on my similar questions as well.....
All that takes is adjusting one screw. The high beam switch is on a slotted hole.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hm... my wheel does the exact same thing. What does it mean if the wheel has a lot of play though? Like I can turn the wheel a few inches left or right without the wheels moving.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96blackta
Hm... my wheel does the exact same thing. What does it mean if the wheel has a lot of play though? Like I can turn the wheel a few inches left or right without the wheels moving.
I would have your car inspected. That is a different issue. In the steering shaft, rack, tie rods, or ball joints.

Something is very wrong with your car.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96blackta
Old 12-02-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
All that takes is adjusting one screw. The high beam switch is on a slotted hole.
yea i knew this but it also has the same problem as the person above had, my steerin wheel wobbled up and down, you could tell the play in it, and besides i wanted to upgrade to the newer style wheel anyhow.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I would have your car inspected. That is a different issue. In the steering shaft, rack, tie rods, or ball joints.

Something is very wrong with your car.
yea, lol i agree with six speed.... Dude get your car checked out soon as possible!!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CULATR
yea i knew this but it also has the same problem as the person above had, my steerin wheel wobbled up and down, you could tell the play in it, and besides i wanted to upgrade to the newer style wheel anyhow.
i hear that

ive just found out that it isn't always the screws at the bottom of the tilt base that contribute to play in the wheel. and you are right these columns are so plentiful that its easier to just get another one.

Up and down play could be the tilt mech pawls or the tilt base screws