General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant and Electronics/Wire Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Coolant and Electronics/Wire Question

Hey all,

Still pretty new to the car and have a couple of questions.

Since you can't see the reservoir level like a Thirdgen, it's pretty hard telling the coolant level. I wiped and redipped the checker, there wasn't much fluid on the stick. Just a few spots here and there, and from the pics you can see the stick has white stuff on it.

I opened the radiator cap and it doesn't look like there's much of anything in there. Just some redish fluid on the cap. It smells like overheated coolant like my '83 when it overheats. I am not getting any lights at all. So are my levels low? If I have to refill, which coolant do I run? Would it be the red kind in there?

Last question: What is the wire in the last pic? Its next to the intake on the passenger/front side.

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails Coolant and Electronics/Wire Question-20090329_00036.jpg   Coolant and Electronics/Wire Question-20090329_00040.jpg   Coolant and Electronics/Wire Question-20090329_00041.jpg  
Old 03-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Launching!

i have the same question, except i am getting an intermittent low coolant light. mine indicator has that white stuff on it too. i filled it up a little with dex cool, still got the light. i will let you know what i find out.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
Hey all,

Still pretty new to the car and have a couple of questions.

Since you can't see the reservoir level like a Thirdgen, it's pretty hard telling the coolant level. I wiped and redipped the checker, there wasn't much fluid on the stick. Just a few spots here and there, and from the pics you can see the stick has white stuff on it.

I opened the radiator cap and it doesn't look like there's much of anything in there. Just some redish fluid on the cap. It smells like overheated coolant like my '83 when it overheats. I am not getting any lights at all. So are my levels low? If I have to refill, which coolant do I run? Would it be the red kind in there?

Last question: What is the wire in the last pic? Its next to the intake on the passenger/front side.

Thanks guys!
Dude, your radiator needs to be topped off all the time. Air in the system is bad. Use Dexcool and water. Best thing to do is to start the engine with the radiator cap off, top it off with just water, then stand there and wait for the coolant to start to flow, if the level drops down, which it probably will, top it off again and put the cap on. Make sure you keep checking your temp guage to make sure you don't stand there and overheat, but the t-stat should open in about 8 minutes or so.

That white **** on the dip stick is just crud, it happens alot.

Get a new cap.

That wire looks like your egr stuff that has probably been taken off the engine. Just leave it there.

That overheating smell is probably from all the air in the system.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by josh1107
i have the same question, except i am getting an intermittent low coolant light. mine indicator has that white stuff on it too. i filled it up a little with dex cool, still got the light. i will let you know what i find out.
The low coolant light only reads coolant level in the radiator, there is no sensor in the plastic overflow reservoir under the battery. Thiose things are usless anyway. They fill up with coolant when it gets overpressurized when you run really hot.
The coolant level sensor is right under the radiator fill cap on the rear side of the radiator, its the square thing.
Either the level is low...or alot of times those sensors stop working and stay on.

Unplug it or replace it, thats all you can do.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

I figured it had to be filled, just didn't know how much. Water and Dexcool you say? What if I get the premixed 50/50 Dexcool? I'll follow the instructions like you said. I think you're right with it being EGR, I'll leave it alone.
Btw, would Dexcool be good for my 83's Chevy 350?

Thanks for all your help and info!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Dude, your radiator needs to be topped off all the time. Air in the system is bad. Use Dexcool and water. Best thing to do is to start the engine with the radiator cap off, top it off with just water, then stand there and wait for the coolant to start to flow, if the level drops down, which it probably will, top it off again and put the cap on. Make sure you keep checking your temp guage to make sure you don't stand there and overheat, but the t-stat should open in about 8 minutes or so.

That white **** on the dip stick is just crud, it happens alot.

Get a new cap.

That wire looks like your egr stuff that has probably been taken off the engine. Just leave it there.

That overheating smell is probably from all the air in the system.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Banned

I figured it had to be filled, just didn't know how much. Water and Dexcool you say? What if I get the premixed 50/50 Dexcool? I'll follow the instructions like you said. I think you're right with it being EGR, I'll leave it alone.
Btw, would Dexcool be good for my 83's Chevy 350?

Thanks for all your help and info!
No, Dexcool is for the newer engines. You can use regular ole green Prestone in the older stuff. If I were you I'd get the straight Dexcool jug, use it to top off the coolant, fill the jug up with water and then you'll have a jug of pre-mix to use for later on.

And yeah, top the coolant all the way till you can;'t get anymore in, then slap the cap on. Make sure you buy a new cap.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Roger that, I'll load up tomorrow.

No, Dexcool is for the newer engines. You can use regular ole green Prestone in the older stuff. If I were you I'd get the straight Dexcool jug, use it to top off the coolant, fill the jug up with water and then you'll have a jug of pre-mix to use for later on.

And yeah, top the coolant all the way till you can;'t get anymore in, then slap the cap on. Make sure you buy a new cap.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Banned

Roger that, I'll load up tomorrow.
The new cap thing is because there's really no reason coolant should ever be low. A nice tight system will hold a full load of coolant for years and years. If you don't have an obvious leak somewhere, its most likely the cap not holding the pressure and coolant is slowly escaping over time.

When I had my stock engine (1998) removed in 2002 for my new 427 to go in, the radiator was full. I had never topped it off once.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Hopefully its just that, the cap slowly leaking. I'll be getting all the stuff today after classes.
Prestone Dex-Cool
Rad Cap with pressure release
Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Banned

Hopefully its just that, the cap slowly leaking. I'll be getting all the stuff today after classes.
Prestone Dex-Cool
Rad Cap with pressure release

If you're gonna get a pressure release cap, I've been having great luck with the PepBoys cap, had it for the past 5 years or so. Its been taken off/on like 50 times. I think it was $16.00. Has a red release lever.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

If you're gonna get a pressure release cap, I've been having great luck with the PepBoys cap, had it for the past 5 years or so. Its been taken off/on like 50 times. I think it was $16.00. Has a red release lever.
I just got back from school/AutoZone. The cap I bought was $5 with the red lever. I have the same type on my 83 and it hasn't given any problems since. If it does, I'll step upto the PepBoys one. Thanks for the heads up.
I got one gallon of Zerex Dex-cool, do I need more?