General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'99 TA won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '99 TA won't start

So here's the problem...the car will not crank over. When you get in and turn the key it just makes a click noise. The dash lights, headlights, and electronics all work. I checked the battery and it's good, I think it's the starter but before I go spend $175 I wanted a few more opinions.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A LOT of posts like this lately.

BEFORE YOU SPEND ANY MONEY:
Just because the battery shows good voltage doesn't mean it's good. Have the abttery & alternator tested at AutoZone.

Another culprit could be the connection to the starter / solenoid.

If all that looks good, then buy a new starter.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I forgot to mention I took out the battery and took it to AutoZone where they tested it, came out fine.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Also check your main connections to the battery, chasis/engine grounds and make sure all wires are out of harms way. Corroded or loose connections can cause these problems, as well as a short in your wiring harness (due to rubbing or heat).
Old 04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Could be the chip in the key as well. Mine fell out and it took me a while to discover that was the problem.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:28 PM

Haha, sounds like the problem I was having... Good luck on finding yours mate. Mine took a lot of testing on several parts. Try testing or replacing your Clutch Position Switch. It's only $7 for a brand new one. Just one less part to eliminate from the problem!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Having a start problem myself. Out of curiousity, what parts did you change and what one eventually fixed your problem?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FirebirdWS86
Haha, sounds like the problem I was having... Good luck on finding yours mate. Mine took a lot of testing on several parts. Try testing or replacing your Clutch Position Switch. It's only $7 for a brand new one. Just one less part to eliminate from the problem!
Ah! So it was the clutch position switch! You never PM'ed me after I talked to you on the phone.Glad you got it fixed.

If the clicking is coming from the starter solenoid, I would think starter and take it off and have it tested.
You could check for 12volts at the small purple wire on the solenoid while someone is cranking the key,starter should run no matter if it's Vats related or CluthhPS or neutral position switch if A6 or starter realy- you would be checking these all by checking for the 12v at the purple wire!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 AM
12 Second Club

had a simular problem months ago.. after a ton of digging around I found that a wire leading to the starter had been fried by my headers (passengerside)