Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

Random misfire...only when its raining out

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Random misfire...only when its raining out

every damn time it rains out or is wet/damp, my car misses like a bastard. I have my o2 sensor connections wrapped up with electrical tape and my PCM is in a plastic bag since thats a common problem on these damn F-bodys with the water running off the windshield onto the PCM.

it random misfires so bad to the point I will be in cruise control and it will start to slow down and I hafto drop a few gears to stay acclerating...

now, while its missing, if I floor it...it clears up instantly...same with anything from 75% throttle to 100%...anything under 75% it misses...

popped the hood a little while ago with it running, no arching anywhere that I can see....I am still on the stock wires with 60k on them, but their not getting wet...

the only thing I noticed that was getting wet was their was a pool of water on my intake manifold around the entire base of injector 6 from the water running off the windshield...the only thing I can come up with that is the water is seeping into the intake manifold through the injector mount and im getting water in my gas?? could this be possible??
Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Default Same Problem

Man i thought i was the only one with that problem........ever since i put long tube headers in my car ever time it rains it feels like i just pulled out wire plug intentionally.....every thing is wrapped up good solered and taped........dont know what the problem is............

Do you have Headers on your car????????
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00pewter
Man i thought i was the only one with that problem........ever since i put long tube headers in my car ever time it rains it feels like i just pulled out wire plug intentionally.....every thing is wrapped up good solered and taped........dont know what the problem is............

Do you have Headers on your car????????
Yes I have hooker super comp long tubes, Pacesetter Y pipe and a MS3 cam/dyno tuned etc. etc.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Check the harness that goes down along the passenger inner fender well to your O2 sensors. Its common for the heat from the headers to damage the insulation on these wires. Pull them out of the loom and check for contact between the wires. Rain tends to exagerate this problem.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mwill15
Check the harness that goes down along the passenger inner fender well to your O2 sensors. Its common for the heat from the headers to damage the insulation on these wires. Pull them out of the loom and check for contact between the wires. Rain tends to exagerate this problem.
thanks this makes alot of since for my problem...I will check this out.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

started raining out again tonight when I was on my way home from the movies..doing it real bad tonight

it seem's like whenever the roads are pretty wet, thats when it starts doing it. Is their anything electrical that could be getting wet in/around the wheel wells and right under the front fenders under the car where the frame is??
Old 05-02-2009, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

just when I thought I was losing my mind over this! I've recently started having this problem, too! It started at the car wash when I would clean the dust of the motor and then would get a bad misfire, and it was always number six. And now when it rains, ARGH! Always passenger side! Well I guess I'll have to crawl my *** under there and fix it, better yet I have about 1200 miles of warranty left may as well use it.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FLSSLS1
just when I thought I was losing my mind over this! I've recently started having this problem, too! It started at the car wash when I would clean the dust of the motor and then would get a bad misfire, and it was always number six. And now when it rains, ARGH! Always passenger side! Well I guess I'll have to crawl my *** under there and fix it, better yet I have about 1200 miles of warranty left may as well use it.
good luck. I have had my *** under my car 10 times trying to find this problem...I have yet to find anything that could possibly cause this.

im going to check out my wiring harness in the rear of the car also...all possible places that are getting wet im going to check out
Old 05-02-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Probably what was mentioned above... I had a different rain gremlin. My hood hinge was contacting one wire on the top of the computer harness. Over years, it made an almost unnoticable very small flaw in the insulation from closing the hood. Everytime it rained my car would run rough.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

bump...

anyone else have this issue and get it resolved??
Old 05-03-2009, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many years ago I had a Granitelli mass air flow sensor on my car and it would do this in the rain. Took it off and sold it, problem solved.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

I had the exact same problem. it's the 02 sensors/wires in your longtubes. I actaully just replaced my extensions....cured.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Question O2s sensor

i actually have just two sensors in front back ones are deleted...so i bought new ones and added about 2 feet of wirring cutting and slicing the wires to add extension....even soldered the wires?????only when it rains it acts up????????????
Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by texasthrottle
I had the exact same problem. it's the 02 sensors/wires in your longtubes. I actaully just replaced my extensions....cured.
I have o2 extensions that came with my headers from speedtweekerz...they have been on the car for about 8 months. I was under there the other day and they seem fine. I have all o2 connections that are plug and play wrapped up in electric tape so they are 100% water proof...

would they still act up??
Old 05-05-2009, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Many years ago I had a Granitelli mass air flow sensor on my car and it would do this in the rain. Took it off and sold it, problem solved.
I have a stock MAF
Old 05-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
I have o2 extensions that came with my headers from speedtweekerz...they have been on the car for about 8 months. I was under there the other day and they seem fine. I have all o2 connections that are plug and play wrapped up in electric tape so they are 100% water proof...

would they still act up??
why people run 02 extentions is beyond me. just get the bosch corvette o2s that way you don't have to worry about the connection at the extension getting wet and causing misfires. when it rains the connection gets wet and that is the problem 90% of the time.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:03 AM
On The Tree

Problem now has been solved! The oxygen sensor extension from previous owner was rigged i.e. wire connectors were taped but after time the tape loosens up and is no longer waterproof. ordered new extensions with the proper fittings, and a new O2 sensor. And went to the car wash and basically drowned the motor and everything else that caused the problem before not a problem driving it home! Final test will be driving it in the rain, and monsoon season has started here.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:38 AM
12 Second Club

I had a wet idle issue. I took off my coil pack connections and greased them and cleaned up the valve covers, also greased up the pcm's connectors. Then greased up the plugs and wires. So far so good. Just replaced plugs are wires and 02 sensors are next. Fuel mileage is going down as well...

Quick Reply: Random misfire...only when its raining out