General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rearended! Severe rear quarter panel damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rearended! Severe rear quarter panel damage

Well I was cruisin PCH in Laguna Beach on Sat afternoon and stopped for a woman crossing the road (no cross-walk). Guy plowed into me at 35 or so and crunched the panel where it comes to a point by the RR light lens. All of it is thrashed, the window and trunk lid (glass is OK), crumpled into the spare tire well and tore the bumper off on that side.
The good news is I put a Wolfe Racecraft 6 pt roll bar in last year so ALL of the gaps look great. The t-tops were off and when I put them in expecting them to not fit they slid right in and looked as straight as ever. I had sub-frame connectors installed 4 yrs ago too so I think the roll bar and SFC kept it all lined up. I took it to my dealer and he said wait till Mon since they are getting all the Pontiac stuff this weekend (mine down the road already has tumble weeds and is completely vacant.
The police came and took a report, ticketed the non-english speaking Huspanic as well as towed his car since the bumper went into the whl well and nobody was gonna help him pull it out due to his lack of concern for others and ruining what looks like a Farrari to those who dont know.
Ill be looking for parts like a NMB trunk lid w/glass, new bumper pad,I have a useable bumper that needs paint and very little prep.
Whats it run to replace the RR fender panel? It needs to be removed and a new part completely re welded. He said no total on it since he can do it for less than the 8,000 or so a d the seams are straight and it drives as if nothing is wrong.
Any info you guys can give on what usually "Totals" our cars or and amount it cost when you had it done.Im not looking for a bondo trip, I want the panel removed and a new one welded and aligned correctly. Theres a back/leg issue Im having too, had x-rays yesterday so Im not sure the extent of my physical injuries.
Sorry for the long post but ya need the info,any more and Ill be happy to answer them.
Attached Thumbnails rearended! Severe rear quarter panel damage-img_0451.jpg   rearended! Severe rear quarter panel damage-img_0424.jpg   rearended! Severe rear quarter panel damage-img_0456.jpg   rearended! Severe rear quarter panel damage-img_0449.jpg  

Last edited by sic2001; 05-02-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

clay bar
Old 05-02-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damage doesnt look to severe, but blue book value on these cars arnt great in some areas. just let your insurance know you dont want it totaled and theyll try to help you out on that.

if the do total it, buy it back and fix it with the fat check they give you.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:47 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is that third pic of where the bar mounts to the floor, and the floor is cracked?!?!?! Coming from a guy who has seen his fair share of totaled cars in the last four years.......I hop you get a lot for it. Usually a good hit in the rear will kill these cars. now the only thing that helps is the car has to be in great shape with low miles. If you've got low miles you'll have more of a fighting chance with the insurance company.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car has an ls6 crate in it....do not let them total it. or at least buy it back if they do total it
Old 05-02-2009, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

yeah, it has a brand spanking new LS6 in it installed at the dealership. 10K plus with a 2 yr warranty. Im close to spraying over the crack to hide it for the other guys adjuster. My guy at the dealership said it can be done so.... Well see Mon I hope.
Attached Thumbnails rearended! Severe rear quarter panel damage-img_0427.jpg  
Old 05-02-2009, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

the crack shown is in the rear wheel well where the spare tire goes. I cant see it on the inside though. Seems like the panel should seperate there along the panel lines and the door jam on that side is perfect (sub frame connectors, Wolfe bar) so it seems like its just the outter rear panel and the inner panel at the corner where it comes to the lights. I live in Huntington Beach but what do they use? Private seller,trade in? Im really thinkin replacement cost if they want to total it since out here low milers are 16k on up and the NBM ones are hardly around at all. Ill keep ya updated....
Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

My guy said he talked to the other adjuster and they accept liability, said to take it to wherever I like and get a rental. However, what I want is for him to come look at the car or send someone out weho does the estimates and just have him cut me a check for that amount (which will include rental fees and leaves an opening for any supplemental checks if my guy finds more damage than first suspected) So this all seems to be working out great as far as the ride. Not one mention of a total.
Now is the medical issues, my butt cheek goes numb and pain shoots to my ankle when I bend over sometimes. My x-ray showed I have pretty bad artheritis in the lower spine (from hunching over tattooing?) but never had any issues like this till now. So Im getting an attorney today to deal with thsat side of this cause its out of my element at this point.
You guys were right as usual and I appreciate the advice and help! Tech rocks!!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:44 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

well that's good as for the car, definitely get yourself checked out though... But his insurance company probably won't want to do an agreement like you're talking, but I'd say try it and see what happens....Good luck, it's gonna need one heck of a pull to get straightened out!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

They are replacing the whole corner panel so shouldnt it be easy to pull straight with that off the car or do they do it as is as straight as possible then remove it?
I know he said he has to take the t-top panel between the rear hatch and t-bar off to remove the panel properly so its no bondo job. I dont mind paying to have it done right. My insurance agent said I have the right to demand a check in the amount of the damages and repair the car at my trusted place and pay him myself and pocket the remainder. Its not MY insurance company paying out, if it was then there would be problems trying to do that and remain covered.

Last edited by sic2001; 05-12-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

from everything I've seen they pull first, cut, pull some more, the repair. It sounds like you're guy knows what he's doing so make sure he bumps the estimate up a little just in case it costs a little more than he thought, so you're not paying out of pocket and trying to get a second check from the other guys insurance....then if he comes in under you've got a little more coin to put into that new LS6
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

that my friend is good advice and Ill let my guy know. Im not messin with that motor for at least 2 yrs until the warranty expires. Dealer installed dont cha know... (aka, bent over and winked at them)
Old 05-13-2009, 04:33 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

warran....what? I haven't had a warranty on a car in years!! It's over rated imo. Every time you need them they try to say something you've done voids it... oh well. Good luck with it and if nothing else put the extra cash in the bank and collect interest for the next 2 years and then you can really have fun!

Quick Reply: rearended! Severe rear quarter panel damage