General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pully...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pully...

So last weekend I had to repalce my waterpump. I thought that It would make reaching a bolt easier if I removed the idler pully. So after everything was fixed and back on I went for a drive. Well the pully stuck and broke my belt. I took the pully back off and noticed the bearing seals were warped.I got another one and now the pully will not spin after tightning it up. What am i doing wrong?
I have the bolt and the two spacer things as well.
Thanks
Old 05-02-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The spacers/covers are on the wrong side. I just pulled my idler and when I put it back together I put the covers on the wrong sides, inside on the outside and the outside on the inside.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

yeah I can see what you are saying, but the front over if concaved and the spacer is not. I might have the back spacer flipped the wrong way. Correct me if I am wrong but when the bolt is completely tight the pullie should turn but mine is not. I jsut don't know what the problem would be .
Old 05-03-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by growl98
yeah I can see what you are saying, but the front over if concaved and the spacer is not. I might have the back spacer flipped the wrong way. Correct me if I am wrong but when the bolt is completely tight the pullie should turn but mine is not. I jsut don't know what the problem would be .
The pulley should move freely after the bolt is tightened. I don't recall a spacer only the 2 covers. The covers should be flush with the pulley's bearings, anything else would be mounted outside the covers. Here is a pic of how it should look.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
pulley4.pdf (217.0 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by vaticano; 05-03-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the pictures, but i still have the same problem. Here is what I have.
1- bolt
1- front cover
1- back cover

After installing it back on the pully will only spin a few times then it will be so tight that it cannot turn.
Is there some special way of placing it on there before tighting it?
The pully should spin clock-wise right?
I know this is elementary but I still has kept me from driving my car for about a week.
Do you think there might be something wrong with the bolts or maybe one of the covers are warped. Do they sell them at autozone?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like the covers are warped. They should only be touching the bearring allowing the pulley to turn freely in either direction. I'm not sure were to buy them at.

You may have bent one the first time out so it wont sit properly on the bearring. The covers should not be touching the pulley at all. They should only contact the metal bearing in the center. If one is bent you may be able to fix it with a hammer and a piece of pipe or a larger socket.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

okay so i got it to work, but i had to leave the front cover off. I guess that means that the front one is warped.Thanks for all the help. Now I am able to drive to the library to study for my finals...which might not be a good thing. I know one thing and that is you all really save poor college kids like me alot of money by telling us how to fix things rather than go getting them fixed.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Well it seems that the pully is spinning against they back plate causins a terrible nosie and sanding the metal from the back plate....sigh just another thing to fix
Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by growl98
Well it seems that the pully is spinning against they back plate causins a terrible nosie and sanding the metal from the back plate....sigh just another thing to fix
As a temp. fix, you could try a small washer between the cover and the bearring.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya know i had a bit of the same problem when i went to replace my idler pulley as well, i installed the new pulley an it started grinding against the back plate. I was like WTF? so i took it off an noticed it was different than the OEM one. You wouldnt know it unless you really put the two side by side. This really threw me off an i thought that Oreilly's gave me the wrong part so i went back there an showed them what was wrong but it WAS the right part according to the computer, P/N matched an everything. It didnt make any sense untill i saw a TSB that called for a new alternator bracket, idler pulley, and serpentine belt which was meant to fix..........a squeaky pulley-i havent had a chance to try this as I'm in Iraq right now but just thought id put this out there
Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

So does anyone know where i can get both the front and back covers for the pulley?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

So i tried placing a washer between the pulley and the bracket but the squeaking/screaming still happened. As it is right now there are no covers on the pulley. This noise is killing me. Any ideas??
Thanks