General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help quick after seafoam!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help quick after seafoam!!!!

We seafoamed my buddies ride per the guidelines from the sticky on this site. I've done two other vehicles and they turned out fine. Only this time after seafoaming his ride there is a constant loud clunkining or thumping sound. It sound like some kind of knock but it won't go away. the car smoked like hell afterwards and i thought it may have been a chunk of carbon that could have fallen off into one of the cylinders. I did the seafoam process again and let the car sit for about 5 hrs with the seafoam in the system, same results. What could this be?
Old 06-06-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe the engine WAS carbon lol. I suggest you keep revving till 100% of the smoke clears, then see what you've got.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you put any in the oil, or just sucked it up through the brake booster?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

how many miles on the car?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JeaneGrae
We seafoamed my buddies ride per the guidelines from the sticky on this site. I've done two other vehicles and they turned out fine. Only this time after seafoaming his ride there is a constant loud clunkining or thumping sound. It sound like some kind of knock but it won't go away. the car smoked like hell afterwards and i thought it may have been a chunk of carbon that could have fallen off into one of the cylinders. I did the seafoam process again and let the car sit for about 5 hrs with the seafoam in the system, same results. What could this be?
I've said this before and nobody listened. Its not a very good idea to pour any liquid into the cylinders when the car is stalling or is shutting off.

If too much remains in a cylinder and you go to start it later and it hasen't evaporated enough....you can hydalock the engine and damage a piston, rod, pushrod, bearing, etc......or break the damn crank in a serious hydalock.

"I'm not saying this is what happened"......but it certainly could be and sounds like something is bent. Could also be that you hammered one or both of the 02 sensors and thats making the engine stumble and misfire. And NO, you will not get a code when an 02 sensor is just failing, only when it fails completely.

Thats why the Mopar top end cleaner that Chrysler makes is WAY better to do then Sea Foam. Why, its safe.

When an engine gets hydralocked....the main symptom is loud clunking and thumping.

Sea Foam in the brake booster line........ When will people learn. Cleaners need to go in through the damn intake vacuum line only while the engine is running, and a cleaner that is a foam...not a liquid.

I've done the Sea Foam in the brake booster line...then I thought,, WTF am I doing. I did the Mopar stuff after 3 Sea Foam treatments, and still got smoke.

Do the top end with a product that is designed for it.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default .......

The vehicle had 144,XXX miles on it and we poured 1/2 bottle in the tank, 1/2 in the crankcase, with 1/2 bottle intially in the brake booster line. After we got the knocking sound we did the second 1/2 bottle along with the seafoam deep creep hoping to dissolve a chunk of carbon perhaps. Still no luck. The engine isn't missing, skipping or idling erratically, it just has that constant knock. No power loss either.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

did u guys change the oil yet after puring in the seafoam in the crankcase?
Old 06-06-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

could it be fouled out plugs?
Old 06-06-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah never use that **** in the crankcase, you probably broke up dirt and it got clogged in your engine and spin a bearing

i cringe whenever someone puts that junk in their crankcase
Old 06-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
yeah never use that **** in the crankcase, you probably broke up dirt and it got clogged in your engine and spin a bearing

i cringe whenever someone puts that junk in their crankcase
Its ok to clean the crankcase but only if your crankcase is always kept clean.

Precisely why my engines get a crankcase flush at each oil change, from day one when the engine is brand new. Can't get any build-up that way.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
Its ok to clean the crankcase but only if your crankcase is always kept clean.

Precisely why my engines get a crankcase flush at each oil change, from day one when the engine is brand new. Can't get any build-up that way.
i agree

i would NEVER use it in my oil unless i have used it at the first mile, or unless i was having an engine problem that would require me to rebuild it - just as a last resort

i always get into fights with people when i tell them to never put seafoam in the oil on a high mileage car, or get a transmission flush at 140,000 miles.. but they never listen, then make posts like this
Old 06-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
i agree

i would NEVER use it in my oil unless i have used it at the first mile, or unless i was having an engine problem that would require me to rebuild it - just as a last resort

i always get into fights with people when i tell them to never put seafoam in the oil on a high mileage car, or get a transmission flush at 140,000 miles.. but they never listen, then make posts like this
True.....Alot of people "do not" listen....and alot of people also take care of their cars according to ridiculous myths and new special super-duper products that do nothing......its funny.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

There's only one way to clean anything...

Take it apart and clean it, lol.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

You should never put any kind of liquid into the intake side of a motor. Seafoam isn't foam, its a liquid. It doesn't matter if you suck it up through a vacuum hose or pour it into the throttle body, its highly risky and only an experienced mechanic should ever try it. I can't think of any reason you would want to do it anyway.It does the same thing if you just dump it in the tank without the risk. I prefer to use Marvel Mystery Oil myself. I haven't seen much benefit using Seafoam. If you need to blow out some carbon, just take it out on the freeway and floor it and let it keep going until you get over 100. I doubt most people on this board drive these cars like a granny anyway to get carbon buildup, so its probably a waste of time.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but it's highly doubtful this motor bent a rod from the petroleum based product that was poured into the top end. Most of it was burned off while the motor was running and being poured in. Only a small amount was actually sitting on the cylinder walls and the piston. On the first fire that is all burnt off.

I'm not for sure what happened exactly unless somehow it caused a bearing or something to spin somehow. Only way I could see that happening is if something clogged up the pickup causing oil starvation??
Old 06-08-2009, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JeaneGrae
I had the same issue as you I think. Lots of loud knocking on acceleration and reduced power right? I just drove the car like a granny for the first couple of miles and the knocking away and the power came back. I still have a highr rpm knock but that been there since I bought my car, not a seafoam issue.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bjamick
Sorry but it's highly doubtful this motor bent a rod from the petroleum based product that was poured into the top end. Most of it was burned off while the motor was running and being poured in. Only a small amount was actually sitting on the cylinder walls and the piston. On the first fire that is all burnt off.

I'm not for sure what happened exactly unless somehow it caused a bearing or something to spin somehow. Only way I could see that happening is if something clogged up the pickup causing oil starvation??
The problem with this whole Sea Foam top end thing is: It has you pouring a large amount into the line to stall the engine so it does get burned off at all, if too much pools in any one cylinder...that could be all she wrote for a pushrod....if not the entire bottom end in the worst case. Not to mention, if nothing gets bent it can hammer the rod bearings just like detonation does to it, they get smashed.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Banned

This is all that should be used to clean a top end....its a FOAM. It works 100 times better than Sea Foam can for top end cleaning. All Sea Foam should be used for in a cars' engine is in the fuel to clean fuel injectors.

Name:  DSC01707.jpg
Views: 5427
Size:  75.3 KB
Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Banned

Very simple to do. Get a clear hose that will fit on the intake port for the PCV. Start the engine and spray the entire bottle into the hose, it will suck it right in perfectly. Have some ready to turn the engine off the second the bottle runs out. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so and you're done.

That hose in the picture is connected to the port, I was just wanting to see how much oil gets sucked into the intake while idling. Just connect it to the port, take the PCV valve and the other short black bent hose off and spray it into the other end of the clear hose.

Name:  DSC01706.jpg
Views: 4946
Size:  151.3 KB
Old 06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Very simple to do. Get a clear hose that will fit on the intake port for the PCV. Start the engine and spray the entire bottle into the hose, it will suck it right in perfectly. Have some ready to turn the engine off the second the bottle runs out. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so and you're done.

That hose in the picture is connected to the port, I was just wanting to see how much oil gets sucked into the intake while idling. Just connect it to the port, take the PCV valve and the other short black bent hose off and spray it into the other end of the clear hose.

will it cause you to have to change the oil afterwards like seafoam does? i remember the first time i did it and that **** was black.

Quick Reply: Help quick after seafoam!!!!