General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear shocks going?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear shocks going?

I have a weird popping noise coming from the rear left side when I turn or put Gs on that side. (I think the shock is going and the spring is pooping because of it) Does that sound rite to anyone?

It is usually a single "pop". Happens every time when I am pulling in my drive way (as there is a little bump there and I am turning left to pull in.)
Old 06-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes your shocks may be bad but what happened to me was the spring got turned and one of the coils was getting caught on something (think it was the upper panhard rod)
So whenever that spring was compressed it would rub and make a bang sound. I fixed it by turning the spring so the coil was out of the way.

Not sure if thats the same problem though cause mine was more of an exhaust bang sound
Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dancrosoft
I have a weird popping noise coming from the rear left side when I turn or put Gs on that side. (I think the shock is going and the spring is pooping because of it) Does that sound rite to anyone?

It is usually a single "pop". Happens every time when I am pulling in my drive way (as there is a little bump there and I am turning left to pull in.)

Could be your rear LCA's wearing out. Mine started popping before getting them replaced.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmm. I am dumb about suspension... Have never worked on it before... I know I need new shocks.... I still have stock ones on at 105k... What are the best brand to buy?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Someone recommended Konis... Those are insanely expensive!!!!! lol are there any other brands that are not like 300 bucks for a pair or is that like the going rate for good shocks?
Old 06-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

bilsteins or KYBs both make good shocks
will run you around $400 for all 4
Old 06-21-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I put KYB GR-2 in my car. They work ok, a little harsher than the decrapons were but maybe that is because the decrapons were worn out after 122k
They ran me around 200 bucks. Then I spent another 200 on shock mounts and tie rod ends and other stuff like that.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Hmmm. As far as mods go with the suspension - does anyone know of a kit that I can buy - so i can replace a bunch of stuff at once when I do my shocks . When I go I like to go all out.