General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Which alternator to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which alternator to go with?

Ok so the stealership tells me that my alternator is not charging (almost died on me on the way home the other day, just running on batt. I guess and one by one everything started shutting down) and that I need a new one. They told me there were two options;

1) One was a factory one and was worth 500 dollars (ouch!)

2) The other was an ACDelco for about half the price (they said since I'll be going through my third party warranty I would likely have to go with the ACDelco)

Am I getting ripped off here? Will the ACDelco be sufficient for a fully loaded car like mine with the monsoon amp and all that? Are the ACDelcos any good? Since I have to pay the deductible anyways, is there anything else I should be telling them to look for while they're at it? Thanks for any help guys.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is your deductible?

yes you are getting ripped off, especially if you buy the "factory one".
what is "the factory one" ?
if people only knew how the industry works, regarding brand names and part numbering, it would make your stomach turn. The whole point is to deceive the customer and sell the same thing for more money.

an alternator is an alternator, and any one you buy is going to be an CS130d model alternator because that is all that fits the mounting brackets. I believe you can upgrade to a CS144 which is a higher output alternator, but warranty would never cover that because it wasn't what your car came with, it would be an upgrade.
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/GmAl...tification.htm

check out regarding high output alternator and load:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...nator-get.html

my suggestion first is, what's your deductible and how does your warranty work?
If you can change it yourself, and prefer to do the work yourself knowing it'll get done right, buy one with a lifetime warranty from a local parts store.
I prefer Delco Remy, and advance auto parts carries that brand.
http://www.delcoremy.com/AboutUs.aspx
It comes with a lifetime warranty, which i doubt the dealership will honor with anything they can install. Otherwise if you're stuck with using the dealer, then choose the cheapest one they offer, you will not be getting anything better by choosing the more expensive or factory/oem one! At best they may offer the lifetime warranty on the factory one which is why the $500 price tag- you're paying for that warranty!

http://www.wai-wetherill.com/techups/techup20_web.pdf
http://www.waiglobal.com/home.cfm

Last edited by 1 FMF; 06-20-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a Reman from advance, ltd lifetime warrenty.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I'll stick with the ACDelco since that's the one the car likely came with. I think the other one (factory one-I don't know what the guy meant by that) at 500 dollars is the one you mentioned and would be an upgrade. My warranty covers the part and labor and I think the deductible is $250. So not much of a deal really huh? How big of a job is it to change the alternator myself?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Ok I'll stick with the ACDelco since that's the one the car likely came with. I think the other one (factory one-I don't know what the guy meant by that) at 500 dollars is the one you mentioned and would be an upgrade. My warranty covers the part and labor and I think the deductible is $250. So not much of a deal really huh? How big of a job is it to change the alternator myself?
All you need is a decent ratchet/socket set, Haynes manual, and a breaker bar to tighten the belt. It is NOT a big job at all. If you've changed your own oil or changed your intake or air filter, you should be able to install the alternator, just follow the instructions in a Haynes or Chilton's. Only thing the Haynes/Chilton's doesn't tell you is to get beer. That's a must. Do it or your alternator won't work and your car will turn into a Corolla.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by demonpixel
All you need is a decent ratchet/socket set, Haynes manual, and a breaker bar to tighten the belt. It is NOT a big job at all. If you've changed your own oil or changed your intake or air filter, you should be able to install the alternator, just follow the instructions in a Haynes or Chilton's. Only thing the Haynes/Chilton's doesn't tell you is to get beer. That's a must. Do it or your alternator won't work and your car will turn into a Corolla.
+1, the hardest part on changing the alternator on my LS1 was trying to pull it out.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well my haynes says very little about tensioning the belt and I don't have a breaker bar I live in a apartment for the time being and it's hard to work on the car. So is it good to have the car up on a lift or something (jack stands)?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Ok so the stealership tells me that my alternator is not charging (almost died on me on the way home the other day, just running on batt. I guess and one by one everything started shutting down) and that I need a new one. They told me there were two options;

1) One was a factory one and was worth 500 dollars (ouch!)

2) The other was an ACDelco for about half the price (they said since I'll be going through my third party warranty I would likely have to go with the ACDelco)

Am I getting ripped off here? Will the ACDelco be sufficient for a fully loaded car like mine with the monsoon amp and all that? Are the ACDelcos any good? Since I have to pay the deductible anyways, is there anything else I should be telling them to look for while they're at it? Thanks for any help guys.
AC Delco is a factory part.

Go with the $149.00 Pro-Star at Pepboys. They're perfect. Also comes with a Lifetime Warranty. Mine is 100% perfect and never has any problems with headlights on, stereo cranking, AC blasting, at idle. And I have a 1,000 watt amp.

Its a 20 minute job. Be careful of the excitor wire. It plugs into the top of the alternator. Unplug it first, then take the alternator out. Very easy...take the two front bolts out, then the one smaller bolt in the back. Disconnect the cable, its just a nut, then break the alternator free from its mounts with the palm of your hand or a rubber mallet. Then move it forward till it touches the electric fan housing. Then just roll it around till it drops out, forward of the sway bar.

You're problem could actually just have been that wire too.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Disconnect the battery (negative only is fine) first...........

and if you break the connector on the alternator, you can find one for under $5.00 on Ebay. Brand new.

Quick Reply: Which alternator to go with?